I missed my flight out of JFK due to weather and they won't issue me a credit

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 6, 2018
My husband and I purchased a vacation with Friendly Planet for Egypt. The package included international flights, not domestic. We were flying out of JFK. Unfortunately, the morning that our domestic flight was scheduled, NorEaster hit and our flight from Phoenix to JFK was cancelled. We were unable to get to JFK in time for our international flight. I made this known to the travel agency over 12 hours before our flight was scheduled to leave to Egypt. The best option Friendly Planet could provide was getting us on the next flight out--- 3 days later. We would have missed almost half of our trip. So, the next best option was to book additional flights. We ended up purchasing new international, one-way flights from LAX to Egypt, at the total cost of $2300. I didn't purchase insurance, and I'm obviously willing to eat the extra cost that we had to incur by purchasing new tickets. However, I was upset with the fact that Friendly Planet/EgyptAir wouldn't give us a credit for the missed flight segment. We paid for those flights, even though they were part of a travel package. I feel as though I'm entitled to that money, and am willing to pay the change fees associated with that.

Jul 27, 2016
So we know how best to advise you, did you book your entire trip (including the PHX-JFK flight) with Friendly Planet? If you did, was it all part of the same ticket?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is what insurance is for. Trip delay coverage would have helped. Have you called the credit card company you used to pay for your trip to see if they had any insurance you could avail yourself to?

As Just A Guy asked- who booked the air?

Apr 6, 2018
So we know how best to advise you, did you book your entire trip (including the PHX-JFK flight) with Friendly Planet? If you did, was it all part of the same ticket?
Everything was purchased as a package deal except my flight from Arizona to New York. I had to pay for that separately.

Apr 6, 2018
This is what insurance is for. Trip delay coverage would have helped. Have you called the credit card company you used to pay for your trip to see if they had any insurance you could avail yourself to?

As Just A Guy asked- who booked the air?
I did not research insurance at all. I never have purchased it but may in the future. I still feel overall it’s probably less expensive in the long run to avoid it, but I may be wrong.

All flights were booked through Friendly Planet through EgyptAir. Except for the domestic flight. I had to purchase my flight from Arizona to New York myself (which is the flight that caused me to miss the first flight purchased as part of the travel package) since it was cancelled and a later flight couldn’t be booked until the next day.

Jul 13, 2016
I am petrified of this happening to me or my clients. I always strongly recommend flying in at least 1 day prior to a cruise (domestically) or 2-3 early for an international cruise departure. Especially in weather-delay prone cities (east coast winter storms and summer thunderstorms).
Your package included the flights JKF-Cairo, but who booked the domestic flights to/from JFK?
Since your international flights were booked by Friendly Planet , they must make any changes (as you discovered) and who knows what kind tickets they bought (group tickets, highly restrictive bulk tickets) and thus, who knows what rules were attached to those tickets. It may be that Friendly Planet did not receive any refund from the airline, due to the cancellation occurring within 12 hours of departure.
Did the flight JFK-Cairo depart, or was it canceled too?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I did not research insurance at all. I never have purchased it but may in the future. I still feel overall it’s probably less expensive in the long run to avoid it, but I may be wrong.

All flights were booked through Friendly Planet through EgyptAir. Except for the domestic flight. I had to purchase my flight from Arizona to New York myself (which is the flight that caused me to miss the first flight purchased as part of the travel package) since it was cancelled and a later flight couldn’t be booked until the next day.
And that’s the problem. If it had all been on one PNR (ticket) then they most likely would have covered this. But they didn’t book it and the flight was booked separately. No compensation is due unfortunately.

The right travel insurance policy would reimburse you for the delay.

What was less expensive - an insurance policy or the cost of the lost days?

Here is information on what travel insurance covers- consider it in the future because the right policy would have paid you for the lost days.

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/the-right-travel-insurance.1283/

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am petrified of this happening to me or my clients. I always strongly recommend flying in at least 1 day prior to a cruise (domestically) or 2-3 early for an international cruise departure. Especially in weather-delay prone cities (east coast winter storms and summer thunderstorms).
Your package included the flights JKF-Cairo, but who booked the domestic flights to/from JFK?
Since your international flights were booked by Friendly Planet , they must make any changes (as you discovered) and who knows what kind tickets they bought (group tickets, highly restrictive bulk tickets) and thus, who knows what rules were attached to those tickets. It may be that Friendly Planet did not receive any refund from the airline, due to the cancellation occurring within 12 hours of departure.
Did the flight JFK-Cairo depart, or was it canceled too?
This is what travel insurance is for.

Jul 13, 2016
This is what travel insurance is for.
True, but getting your money back is not a substitute for the planned vacation and the disappointment of missing it, and the hassle of rescheduling it. Or the stress of trying to catch up to the cruise! I'd rather not have a frazzzled, unhappy, possibly angry client on my hands and have to drop everything to solve the emergency.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What a shame ... I'm wondering about your domestic flight to get home. Please check and be sure the return wasn't automatically cancelled when you missed the outbound. I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
True, but getting your money back is not a substitute for the planned vacation and the disappointment of missing it, and the hassle of rescheduling it. Or the stress of trying to catch up to the cruise! I'd rather not have a frazzzled, unhappy, possibly angry client on my hands and have to drop everything to solve the emergency.
I agree 100% and we also advise clients to fly in a day or two before as well. But insurance certainly helps in cases like this. And what you don’t want is a client who says “you never told me about travel insurance” because you can be sued for not advising about it.

Jul 13, 2016
I agree 100% and we also advise clients to fly in a day or two before as well. But insurance certainly helps in cases like this. And what you don’t want is a client who says “you never told me about travel insurance” because you can be sued for not advising about it.
Totally agree, Neil. Every client that declines trip protection/insurance is required to sign a form acknowledging that I told them about trip insurance.

Sep 19, 2015
As many have pointed out, the tour company may not have any reimbursement to give -- if it is a special fare, etc. In some ways you are fortunate that the return from Egypt to JFK had not been cancelled. The company states that there are no refunds for anything done 0-9 days before departure,

This was not the fault of Friendly Planet. There have been some bad storms in NY; some only last the morning, some last all day and make a mess for an extended period of time.

And even if the tour company could get a credit it would likely only be valid on Egypt air, and only for a period of one year. Would that even be useful?

Was the trip charged to a credit card that offers travel insurance? If so there may be some reimbursement there,

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Our letter writer should be due a credit for the outbound portion of the flight, possibly less a cancellation fee. If it was a nonrefundable ticket, you will not get cash refund, they would give you a credit only if the offered anything - non refundable is sometimes truly nonrefundable on some airlines. If it was consolidator Air- you often don’t get refunds depending on the ticket class. It’s possible it was a low cost ticket with restrictions. If they could give you a credit, the credit would only be good on Egypt Air.

TayChender, what did Friendly Planet say about why you can’t get a credit for the outgoing flight? They had for give you a reason. Was it policy or the type of air ticket?

Jul 27, 2016
Our letter writer should be due a credit for the outbound portion of the flight, possibly less a cancellation fee. If it was a nonrefundable ticket, you will not get cash refund, they would give you a credit only if the offered anything - non refundable is sometimes truly nonrefundable on some airlines. If it was consolidator Air- you often don’t get refunds depending on the ticket class. It’s possible it was a low cost ticket with restrictions. If they could give you a credit, the credit would only be good on Egypt Air.

TayChender, what did Friendly Planet say about why you can’t get a credit for the outgoing flight? They had for give you a reason. Was it policy or the type of air ticket?
A refund for the Phoenix-JFK ticket, yes. Why for the JFK-Cairo flight? They were no shows for that.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
A refund for the Phoenix-JFK ticket, yes. Why for the JFK-Cairo flight? They were no shows for that.
She said they called 12 hours before their flight to Egypt. I assumed that the Travel company canceled the outgoing for her- otherwise how would she have still had the return portion of the flight from Cairo? If she was a no show, the return back to the US would have been canceled.

Apr 6, 2018

They said because it was booked as a "package of flights" and technically a "discounted ticket" that I wasn't able to credited for the flight lost.

Apr 6, 2018
What a shame ... I'm wondering about your domestic flight to get home. Please check and be sure the return wasn't automatically cancelled when you missed the outbound. I'm so sorry you have to go through this.
Friendly Planet told us that the rest of our flights would be ok--- That was untrue. The moment we tried to fly to Aswan there was no reservation. We, again, had to purchase new tickets that they did reimburse for. They were able to get in touch with EgyptAir to ensure the rest of our tickets remained. It was a total PITA.