I lost my physical driver's license. Can I still rent my Hertz car in Maui?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2016
The analogy had two thinkings for me. One was that we are all often duped into believing what is real (the Vikings series is really good but it does mix together many events and people that weren't really happening at the same time but it makes for a great series when woven this way)

Rental car companies are either going to or not going to try to stick you with charges and fees for things later on regardless of what you do. I have heard cases of people doing everything by the book and still having to fight for months to get back monies charged to them that was not their fault.

If anyone knows of another place to get a vehicle that does let you drive to Hana,, tell me today and I will cancel the Hertz and forego the $100 cxl fee and go get something better. Of course, it is hoped that such a thing is rentable at the Kahului Airport at 7pm on 4/13 and returnable on the 21st at the same time. And that it doesnt cost so much that it would have been better to risk the trip with the Hertz one.

I liked Floki but have yet to finish season 5.

May 24, 2016
thanks for those links!

I have read a few comments... one says... just stay on paved roads (we plan to to be honest. We can either stop and walk to some sites or just not go to them. We dont really want to venture too far beyond the main roads anyway). Another says: the road to hana is a state designated highway and if you drive slowly you should be ok. We want to see things but can forego many of the sites along the way. to be honest, while we enjoy cool sites and secret stuff, we have been to Maui a few times and we kinda want to just be at beaches where there are foofy drinks lol. So this is a one overnight trip and in and out.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
@Ltlizard I've used the Trip Advisor forums when I'm planning a trip. They are a great resource and are generally visited by people who live in the cities that you are researching. Super helpful to get a local to answer your question with their own experience.

Jul 27, 2016
Tracker use seems (thus far at least) to be limited to low-end operators like Payless, and some of the van/truck rental companies. I haven't heard of it being used by the full-service brands like Hertz/Avis/National. Unless there's damage to the car, there's not much they can do to you anyway, other than barring you from renting again, since they haven't been harmed.

Sep 19, 2015
Tracker use seems (thus far at least) to be limited to low-end operators like Payless, and some of the van/truck rental companies. I haven't heard of it being used by the full-service brands like Hertz/Avis/National. Unless there's damage to the car, there's not much they can do to you anyway, other than barring you from renting again, since they haven't been harmed.
Hertz, Avis and Enterprise do use telematics

https://www.autoslash.com/blog-and-...ing-on-you-the-story-of-connected-rental-cars

Now the extent of the use is unknown, is it every car, every area... that is unknown.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Rollo and Ragnar weren't brothers either and lived 100+ years apart. It's an entertaining show that would have no bearing on breaking a rental car company's rules. My husband and I didn't risk it when we went to Maui. I know others who did but it just wasn't worth it to us.
Ltlizard has been here long enough to know what to do if he or she gets caught. If it’s a justified charge for real damage- there isn’t a lot we can do. If it’s not- we have the thread on what to do. But we won’t be able to help out beyond that.

Jul 27, 2016
Hertz, Avis and Enterprise do use telematics

https://www.autoslash.com/blog-and-...ing-on-you-the-story-of-connected-rental-cars

Now the extent of the use is unknown, is it every car, every area... that is unknown.
Should have been clearer, I meant used to enforce the sorts of penalties that are being discussed here. For what it's worth, I've taken a Hertz car on an unpaved road at least 50 times (getting to weekend place), and have never heard a peep from them about it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Should have been clearer, I meant used to enforce the sorts of penalties that are being discussed here. For what it's worth, I've taken a Hertz car on an unpaved road at least 50 times (getting to weekend place), and have never heard a peep from them about it.
In Hawaii and especially Maui, they tend to look more because they know people are going to drive the road to Hana.

Here are a couple of stories about this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.go...-drive-the-back-side-of-the-road-to-hana/amp/

https://www.paradise-found-in-maui.com/car-rental-in-maui.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.go...-drive-the-back-side-of-the-road-to-hana/amp/

May 24, 2016
As an update:

Our trip to Maui was awesome!

We had no issues with our car rental and I drove us to Hana but back the same way. People spoke of driving the other way and having no issues despite the rain

I also made sure to bring no fruit on my plane rides

Damn that story pisses me off! Delta should lobby for that lady! I believe (a) their products should be the kinds that are allowed in, (b) they should have reminded everyone to declare it (c) they put her and others in the position to fail. When given as a gift from the airline, she was not thinking of it as seriously as she might have had she knowingly brought home food she purchased.

But we can move this to a new thread

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
As an update:

Our trip to Maui was awesome!

We had no issues with our car rental and I drove us to Hana but back the same way. People spoke of driving the other way and having no issues despite the rain

I also made sure to bring no fruit on my plane rides

Damn that story pisses me off! Delta should lobby for that lady! I believe (a) their products should be the kinds that are allowed in, (b) they should have reminded everyone to declare it (c) they put her and others in the position to fail. When given as a gift from the airline, she was not thinking of it as seriously as she might have had she knowingly brought home food she purchased.

But we can move this to a new thread
Glad that you had a good trip! Ever find the lost license?

As for the Delta passenger, It is not having the apple that caused the fine -- the fine is for declaring "no" on the fruits and vegetable section of customs. Delta should not have to remind people to answer the questions honestly and thoroughly. And this woman was global entry so expected to know the rules.

Sorry to sound harsh about the passenger, but imported invasive creatures have caused great damage, I just read about about a nasty tick that has been found in NJ that is more aggressive and is invasive -- yuck.

May 24, 2016
Like many people, she probably thought... "Well, they sure charge a lot of money on planes these days for food and most of them wont have a fresh apple for sale so yeah, I could use this on my second leg--the domestic flight, which would not have had any good food or snacks available and nor might have the expensive kiosks or stores the the airport where she connected."

If the airlines and these usually bad, non fresh stocked stores stopped the mentality of charging so much for everything I bet she would have just thrown the Delta gift apple away and not tried to be environmentally conscious and save it for later and save money by doing so (I love how they make you dump the water bottles you bought at the grocery store at the rate of $3 a case just so the moment you pass through security, every entity now sells them for $3-$4 each! What a SCAM!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 19, 2015
Like many people, she probably thought... "Well, they sure charge a lot of money on planes these days for food and most of them wont have a fresh apple for sale so yeah, I could use this on my second leg--the domestic flight, which would not have had any good food or snacks available and nor might have the expensive kiosks or stores the the airport where she connected."

If the airlines and these usually bad, non fresh stocked stores stopped the mentality of charging so much for everything I bet she would have just thrown the Delta gift apple away and not tried to be environmentally conscious and save it for later and save money by doing so (I love how they make you dump the water bottles you bought at the grocery store at the rate of $3 a case just so the moment you pass through security, every entity now sells them for $3-$4 each! What a SCAM!)
No sympathy from me. Grew up in a state where agriculture is important. It is not being environmentally conscious to willfully bring uninspecteted agriculture into a country.
One can be penny wise and pound foolish.

There have been numerous posts in flyertalk about this issue of having GE and not declaring. I have gone through several random inspections

It is very easy to refill a water bottle past security, which is what I do. Most airports have water fountains with special spouts for water bottles; this is what I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 24, 2016
At least in this thread we can disagree or discuss like people
Over in FT there’s a bunch of real arses as you may have seen before the thread got closed by the MOD

Sep 19, 2015
At least in this thread we can disagree or discuss like people
Over in FT there’s a bunch of real arses as you may have seen before the thread got closed by the MOD
I do think in general we try to be civil. There have been times when I disagree and I will mention it, but always try to be respectful and try to explain why I disagree. And sometimes (gasp) I change my mind and realize that I was wrong. Unless it comes to discussing emotional support snakes, pigs, wildebeests, etc., then all politeness goes out the window.

Flyertalk can be rough. I will look at that thread later tonight; I have gotten some good info from that site but rarely post.

May 24, 2016
I used to post a lot but stopped and mainly for two reasons. Every good deal gets overused and abused by them and most people on there are jerks. Now I think the lady should not have been done over like she was about the apple. On there I found that just thinking that way brought out the worst in more than a few people. It was sad to see that and be among such ill company. They wouldnt turn around. They wanted to be jerks. That too me shows me the types of people who are on planes with me. No wonder why we have such awful rules lol

Sep 19, 2015
Oh I will look at the posts later.

One thing all GE people have drilled into them is the importance of following the rules. I have been secondary screened, but I take it seriously.

The truth is I do believe people should be fined and I have no sympathy -- when in doubt declare yes. Then the worst that happens is that the food is confiscated but no fine. This is what I do with cheese, spices, all sorts of food items.

People not following rules that they think are inconveniences can have serious repercussions, Rescue groups brought unhealthy dogs from Asia, did not quarantine as they should have, and then the Asian dog flu spreads -- and now it has shown up in Canada thanks to rescue groups in the US shipping the rescues to Canada. Sure it was not malicious, they were trying to do good and save lives, but now other people may have to take their dogs to the vet because of this illness. This is not a type of flu hat dogs have any immunity to here, so it is a problem.

And then think of the Asian longhorn beetle in the US.....

I saw a show when I was in the UK that was on the Border Patrol in NZ, they are very strict there, and very no nonsense. The faces of the people that are in trouble are blurred out.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I do think in general we try to be civil. There have been times when I disagree and I will mention it, but always try to be respectful and try to explain why I disagree. And sometimes (gasp) I change my mind and realize that I was wrong. Unless it comes to discussing emotional support snakes, pigs, wildebeests, etc., then all politeness goes out the window.

Flyertalk can be rough. I will look at that thread later tonight; I have gotten some good info from that site but rarely post.
One good rule for using FlyerTalk ... after you post something, never go back and read what others are saying about your post. This way you can be entertained by it all and not suffer any personal bashing.

May 24, 2016
Yes the best way to handle FT is to not read others haha. I have been on there since 2002 and seen my share of junk.

My whole thinking about the apple incident goes a bit like this:

Human discretion
Human error
Reality.

It’s an apple
It’s a lot different in my opinion than say, a pitre dish culture or a cage with dogs in it. Those you knowingly brought in and are, in my possibly uneducated opinion, carry a lot less potential disease in them than a common apple.

Why arent there more controls on these things being done/brought in by everybody, since they carry a lot more bugs:

Recirculated airline air that gives people in flight colds and spreads germs

People flying in warm climates who have, say, flip flops on and no socks and now must take off their shoes at security and then walk across a likely dirty, well-traveled floor through the scanner barefoot and likely spreading or picking up all kinds of foot fungus and airports do nothing (like at least provide or spread foot powder onto the floor or offer to people’s feet, or peridocially clean) to stave it all off

People who are already ill, knowingly or unknowingly flying with a cold or the flu or worse

Someone who had a bad bathroom experience from eating, etc and may not be clean

Someone who could have stepped in something on the way to their flight or who was near a farm but did not declare it

And so on.

Airlines try to make more and more money by turning planes around a lot faster and not cleaning them as much—leaving it to the crew and passengers to constantly try to pick up trash instead of having a specialized crew do this. I had reached for the magazine one time at my seat and got peach peel all over me when landing once. I washed up, but had some of that gotten on me or my clothes or even dropped into my bag under my seat would I have gotten in trouble for having the half-dollar-sized piece in or on my carry bag as I passed through customs and maybe didn’t even know it was there?

I would be pissed off if I felt like I was caught off guard and now suddenly part of a test and then busted for the sake of being busted by some agent who smugly laughed about my demise.

It was an apple
It was an OBVIOUS mistake and not about teaching lessons

Of course, we should all be paying her because yes, now we all know and will totally always watch out for anything like this happening to us when we fly and enter.

I’ll be so on it I will siliently cite the flight attendants who try to dare give me a snack with wreckless endangerment and People will be so focussed on it that someone will miss the next rule that pops up and nabs someone else. It keeps getting harder and harder to fly unless one is someone who somehow thrives in or enjoys living in a totalitarian regime.

Finally, I would bet the plane had at least 125 people on it. I would bet at least 15 of them also brought an apple in. I would bet agents who randomly scanned people therefore let in at least 3 others. I am just throwing numbers out there but did those people just bring the infection in? So was this all about preventing bad food items and bugs from entering the country or just about busting people? I tend to think the latter, which is bad and bad and wrong.

The randomness of checking and finding an infraction means the whole system knowingly lets people bring in food they should not bring.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.