I lost my physical driver's license. Can I still rent my Hertz car in Maui?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2016
We leave for Maui on Fri 13th. (someone is watching the house so security is covered)
I lost my ID on April 3 and on that same day after looking everywhere (I figure it could have slipped out of my wallet when I pulled out a credit card at a store or something), I ordered a duplicate online.

Massachusetts IDs do not say anything different on them or look different than the original and I do have a color PDF file I can print of my ID. I could print that. One good thing I do is I tend to scan every new card or ID I get (front and back) and keep those files on a USB stick so I do have it.

I also have the email confirmation from the RMV that says that as long as you have this printed email with you, you can legally drive (not sure if that works in every state). And I have other IDs such as my US passport and passport card.

When I purchased the duplicate online it said it could take 7-10 days to get to me. Worried it may not arrive in the mail before we leave Fri am, I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this and has any suggestions of do's and don't's for my attempted Hertz rental in Maui thru til April 22. I had reserved and prepaid for my car (~$600+). My wife could be the driver if need be but she would rather not to be honest. Her own reasons/long story. So I am looking for ways to be prepared on our trip. Thank you.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Ltlizard My state doesn't do the online duplicate but it does do same hour walk ups (ie you go in and get a new picture, pay your money and you're done). Does Mass do that so you can avoid all the potential issues on not having a valid picture id.

May 24, 2016
Thank you for your replies everyone! I will call Hertz and I will also print out the thing that says you can use a temporary license. In Massachusetts going to the RMV it’s sort of like spending a day in prison. I have to work during the day anyways so there’s no time to do it before we leave. Ideally it would work but they closed the one near me and so driving to the one that is open would be cost prohibitive in terms of time.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you for your replies everyone! I will call Hertz and I will also print out the thing that says you can use a temporary license. In Massachusetts going to the RMV it’s sort of like spending a day in prison. I have to work during the day anyways so there’s no time to do it before we leave. Ideally it would work but they closed the one near me and so driving to the one that is open would be cost prohibitive in terms of time.
That’s why you need to talk to them now - if they tell you no- you may have to go to DMV before you leave.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes I will
I know of suh threads

Of course we are breaking all the rules and driving the road to Hana but yah
I don’t recommend that as many cars now have trackers on them and the rental companies can see where you are going. It is just the end of the highway that the road is dirt that you need to be concerned about. We simply turned around and came back.

Otherwise- we probably won’t be able to help if you come back and ask us how to get out of a damage claim.

May 24, 2016
yes of course. But we want to go there and we already booked a hotel out there for a night. I will have to risk it all with the car. Of course if it is damaged, say, near the Westin where we are also staying, then if they have trackers then they could see where I was then and still cover any of that.

May 24, 2016
Agreed
I was planning on buying the cd about the drive and using my phone maps app where it works and not get a gps anyway

Sep 19, 2015
This is what Neil is referring to -- telematics, where a car rental company can track where a rental car has gone -- it is something that the companies can use to see if the rental contract is violated

http://www.autorentalnews.com/chann.../2017/08/do-you-know-where-your-cars-are.aspx

What is telematics: Telematics is a method of monitoring a vehicle. By combining a GPS system with on-board diagnostics it's possible to record – and map – exactly where a car is and how fast it's traveling, and cross reference that with how a car is behaving internally. This is definition is from techradar

https://www.techradar.com/news/car-tech/telematics-what-you-need-to-know-1087104

May 24, 2016
Yes, some trucking companies use this to track driver activity. I am going to hope for the best though... after all, I paid for the rental and have no other means to get to Hana and it costs money to cancel a hertz these days, so I have to wing it at this point. Heck, many others do the drive too! Yah I could have done this or that, but then, had Floki never built ships for Ragnar Lothbrok, the Vikings may have not attacked England.

Apr 10, 2017
Have a great time in Maui and hopefully no one is on the receiving end of a Blood Eagle!

I like Floki but I'm still mad at him. You can probably guess why.

Sep 19, 2015
Well ..... sagas about dragon written centuries after the alleged historical events slayers are not really reliable -- neither is the History Channel's telling of the sagas which is not concerned with historical accuracy -- ie evidence is that Floki was born about 10 years before Ragnar died -- so no building boats at the age of 10.

What has been seen is an increase in car rental companies billing people for alleged damages. And there is no doubt that technology has made it possible for car rental companies to know exactly where one goes-- here an article from 2004 talking about a renter who was hit with extra fees for crossing state lines

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/13/...tal-cars-are-keeping-tabs-on-the-drivers.html

Here is the key text from the article

Mr. Son received a shock when he returned the car. The $259.51 bill he expected had ballooned to $3,405.05 -- most of it a result of a $1-a-mile fee for each of the 2,874 miles driven. It turned out that by crossing the state line, he had violated his contract with Payless.

''If we had known we couldn't drive the car outside California, we wouldn't have rented it,'' Mr. Son said.

Penalties for taking a rental vehicle beyond state lines or national borders are not new. But the way in which Mr. Son's surcharge was applied was somewhat novel. The rental company presented him with a map showing his exact route outside California as relayed by a tracking device in his car. Mr. Son said he was surprised to learn that his movements were being tracked. A letter was included with the bill

All we can do is present the information to the traveler so they can be informed. Have a great trip.

Apr 10, 2017
Rollo and Ragnar weren't brothers either and lived 100+ years apart. It's an entertaining show that would have no bearing on breaking a rental car company's rules. My husband and I didn't risk it when we went to Maui. I know others who did but it just wasn't worth it to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.