I have been put on DNR list by Avis

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 21, 2020
  • I hired a car from Avis Manchester Downtown – UK on 10/12/2019 for a 2 week period.
  • On 11/12 the next day in the morning I received a call from Nicole White who is the station manager at the Avis Manchester Downtown Branch, during that call she rudely told me that I have used a Discount code from Avis (AWD) which is intended for Avis Friends and Family members, and she asked me If I have a friend who works at Avis or a family member, I replied in the negative, she then told me I should not use that discount code anymore to which I immediately agreed. (the call is recorded)
During that call we also agreed that she would amend future bookings and remove the discount code from them.

• Several hours later (still on 11/12/2019) I contacted the Avis loyalty team to check If I used the correct discount code, they replied to me in writing and advised that I may use the discount code
  • I then emailed Nicole White (still on 11/12/2019) complaining that I have been treated to a harassing call from her and that I think it is legitimate to use the discount code.
  • I exchanged with Nicole several emails in the ensuing days and it was my understanding that I will stop using the discount code and all will be OK.
  • But on 02/01/2020 I received a letter from Avis advising that I have been blacklisted, and will no longer be able to hire from them in the future.
  • On 10/01/2020 I went to the Avis Manchester Downtown Branch and had a brief meeting with Nichole White (who blacklisted me) during that meeting she advised that she will consider her decision and get back to me by Monday 13/01/2020.
  • On 14/01/2020 I sent a chaser email to Nicole as she did not get back to me, to which she replied on the same day that her decision remains unchanged and the ban will not be removed.
  • On 14/01/2020 I emailed Avis Customer Service, their Security Team, Executive Office and Nicole, in that email I complained about Nicole and her rudeness, and asked for the decision to be reversed.
On 04/02/2020 the Avis Executive Office replied to me advising that they will not reverse their decision and the ban will remain in place

May 30, 2019
Um ... A few things worth noting:
  1. You were improperly using a F&F discount code. Avis is not the only company that bans customers for doing that. Some will ban you on the first use. Others will also penalize the employee whom improperly provided the code.

2. If you planned to use the code several times in the future, then I'm guessing you used it in the past. Even if you did not previously use it, in the eyes of the company, you are a repeat offender.

3. Rather than appealing to the goodwill of senior management, you complained about someone for enforcing company policy.

4. Rather than start at the bottom and work your way up, you carpet-bombed the decision makers up and down the organization structure.
If you are posting on this site looking for suggestions for self-advocacy to get your Avis rental privileges back, my suggestions are:
  • Handwrite a letter to Nicole apologizing for your behavior. Recognize that she was following company policy, and wish her the best.
  • Wait a week.
  • Write a letter (not an email) to Avis Customer Service, sincerely apologizing for any misunderstanding and asking that you be removed from the DNR list.
  • Wait 2 weeks.
  • Look up the executive contacts available here or elsewhere. Write a letter (not an email) , sincerely apologizing for any misunderstanding and asking that you be removed from the DNR list.
  • Repeat the above two steps until you reach the executive office.
Forget the fact that Nicole was rude to you. Keep in mind that you are asking a profit-focused company for a favor. In their eyes, you are in the wrong and they are in the right. Yeah, that may be a difficult nut to swallow, but the company has a right to refuse to do business with you just as you have a right to refuse to do business with them.

The approach above has a small likelihood of succeeding. However, it has a better likelihood compared to any other method that comes to mind.

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I don't understand ... why were you using a discount code you're not entitled to use? Of course they don't want your business. If you forgot to include some facts or information here in your post, perhaps we could assist if this issue was not your fault.

smd

Mar 14, 2018
It's time to find a new car rental company. You've appealed as high as you can go and received your answer.

Reactions: BittyBoo
Aug 29, 2018
I don't understand ... why were you using a discount code you're not entitled to use? Of course they don't want your business. If you forgot to include some facts or information here in your post, perhaps we could assist if this issue was not your fault.
I note from the original posting:
  • I contacted the Avis loyalty team to check If I used the correct discount code, they replied to me in writing and advised that I may use the discount code
So it also sounds like there may hae been some miscommunication between different parts of Avis, and the original poster was caught in the middle.

Sep 19, 2015
Where did you get this friend and family code?

When you wrote to Avis did you tell them what the code was — not by name but by code number?

If you used an internal code that is truly for employee friends and family and did not have such such contacts but instead pulled it off a website on travel hacks is that really legitimate?

And then after agreeing not to use it and to take it off other rentals you wrote to Avis got a different answer and then wrote to the manager and told her she was harassing you?

Perhaps accusing the manager of harassment was not the way to go — it may have been better to be apologetic and say I am sorry but I am confused by conflicting advice— taking an aggressive stand did not help.

But at this point the executive offices and security have said that being on the DNR list stands there is no recourse and time to find another company.

Companies can fire customers (usually as long as not a protected class) and taking an aggressive stand — ie accusing someone for harassment when they call to question a discount code — sounds like a good way to be fired.

Find another company.

Sep 19, 2015
These are the problematic posts— use a code then agree not to use it, then write to Avis, then accuse manager of harassing you — then agree again not to use code — so does this mean it was not a proper code to use in the first place?

You agree to stop using code so does that mean you concede that it was improper usage?

All is not okay after accusing someone of harassment for maintaining the integrity of the codes.

• Several hours later (still on 11/12/2019) I contacted the Avis loyalty team to check If I used the correct discount code, they replied to me in writing and advised that I may use the discount code
  • I then emailed Nicole White (still on 11/12/2019) complaining that I have been treated to a harassing call from her and that I think it is legitimate to use the discount code.
  • I exchanged with Nicole several emails in the ensuing days and it was my understanding that I will stop using the discount code and all will be OK.

Jul 13, 2016
So, you used the code and had it on multiple future bookings.
Ms. White called and told you to stop using the code. You agreed to stop using the code.
You went to Avis loyalty program and got the code again?
Then you went back to Ms. White complaining she is harassing you, and try to persuade her that you were eligible for the code.
Then, after multiple emails between you and Ms. White, you agree to stop using the code (again).
Ms. White banned you.

Were you actively renting a car while this was ongoing? It looks you picked up the car on 10 December for two weeks and then you were banned in early January.

So, where did you get the code originally?
How often did you use that code in the past?
Did you tell the loyalty program that you had been denied use of the code? Please share with us the wording of your call to them, and their response.
What was said in those multiple emails between you and Ms. White that finally convinced you that you were not eligible for the code? What was the tone of these emails?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Who is the friend or family member of an Avis employee that qualified you to get this code? If you didn’t have anyone that qualified- did you tell that to the Avis employee that you spoke to?

Reactions: jsn55
Mar 21, 2020
Hello and thanks everyone for replying
I did not intentionally use the discount code whilst knowing it was meant for F&F, when you enter the discount code on the Avis website there is no warning or any message that explains it, i would never have used had i known that before.
In my eyes this is discrimination, as they asked me to stop using the code and i did so immediately.

Mar 21, 2020
Who is the friend or family member of an Avis employee that qualified you to get this code? If you didn’t have anyone that qualified- did you tell that to the Avis employee that you spoke to?
I received the Discount Code 2 years ago from an Avis employee on the phone, who worked for their customer services, although my calls are recorded and however much i tried i could not find that call :(

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I think you sealed your own fate with this:

First you agreed to not use the code once you knew it was not applicable to you and then you argued with her and said you thought it was legitimate to use the code. Why did you fi this she you knew at that point you weren’t entitled to it?

Your only option I can see is contacting Nicole, groveling and that you apologize sincerely and see if she is willing to change the DNR.

Reactions: BittyBoo
Jul 13, 2016
I did not intentionally use the discount code whilst knowing it was meant for F&F, when you enter the discount code on the Avis website there is no warning or any message that explains it, i would never have used had i known that before.
In my eyes this is discrimination, as they asked me to stop using the code and i did so immediately.
Except that you didn't stop--you went to Avis Loyalty program, now knowing that you were not eligible for a F&F code, and then harassed Ms. White insisting you were eligible. The correct course of action was to accept the ruling, period. No phones calls, emails, or accusations of harassment (and now discrimination).
Had you simply accepted the ruling, you would not be on the DNR list today.

Sep 19, 2015
In two years a code may change in terms of the restrictions. And even if given the code legitimately by an employee, if that person is no longer working there or the terms of the code have changed, then it is not valid to use it.

What do you mean that

"In my eyes this is discrimination".

There are actually some legal forms of discrimination -- I cannot fly on an employee ticket of an airline because I am not an employee. I cannot get various corporate discounts that are reserved for employees of certain companies. I cannot get a military or veteran's discount as I am not in the military and never been in the military.

Rather than being thankful to have a code that worked for the past two years, and then stop using it when told it was not valid -- you called customer service -- but did you tell them that you did not know the person that gave it to you two years ago? And then you finally agreed to stop using the code after complaining that the manager was "harassing you".

Companies have gotten stricter over the use of discount codes. I used to never be asked to see cards for booking certain rates (AAA, the auto club) after entering the code -- now they either ask for the full membership number or to see the card. It is legal to discriminate and not give the discount to those that are not members.

If the OP really wants to rent from Avis it would take an enormous amount of humility and apologies to get the company to even think of looking at reversing the decision.

Sep 19, 2015
I received the Discount Code 2 years ago from an Avis employee on the phone, who worked for their customer services, although my calls are recorded and however much i tried i could not find that call :(
You have tape recordings from calls from two years ago? Yet this one is missing?

smd

Mar 14, 2018
I think the discount code is a red herring. It sounds like the OP was put on the DNR list for being abusive/threatening to an Avis employee. Even if it isn't true, no company is going to accept the liability for overruling an employee complaint of this sort without a an investigation. And unless the OP is a very large customer, it doesn't make business sense for Avis to incur the expense/risk of this investigation.

The OP has already appealed to the station master and corporate and been turned down. It's time to move on.

Last edited: