I have a bill and my old insurance has no record of me

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 24, 2018
I went to urgent care in early November, and all of a sudden in March I receive a bill for $227. I called the urgent care and they advised that my health insurance should cover it but that there was a lapse in coverage. I was still insured by Blue Cross Blue Shield when I went - I quit my job in December and was insured up until then. I called the insurance company multiple times, and they have no record of anyone ever having the ID number I have. When I give them my SSN, they can pull me up but only show me signing up for coverage for 2018 (which I did before quitting my job). I was insured and used this insurance throughout 2016 and 2017.

I filed a complaint online with the State of California, and got a letter back saying that the ID number I have is an Ohio insurance and they cannot help. I am a CA resident and have never even been to Ohio. I'm now stuck paying off this bill that should be covered because my old insurance has no record of me - I can log into my online portal for BCBS and see a claim later in November that they covered, but not the one I got billed for. What can I do?

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
My first thought would be do you have any paperwork that proves you have coverage during that timeframe? For example, a previous visits copay notification or sign up documentation? My second thought is to contact your old employer as ask for their help and any records they have.

Mar 14, 2018
There are many companies that do business under the Blue Cross brand. Your employer probably had a national plan (with Blue Cross of Ohio?), while it sounds like you now have an individual plan with Blue Cross of California.

You can find the contact info for your employers plan here:
www.bcbs.com/member-services

The Urgent Care center may not have properly filed the claim with your employer plan, since the claim doesn't show in the portal. I suggest verifying the info they have and asking them to refile the claim.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2017
I would contact the benefits department at your old employer or union - if your old coverage was employer- or union-based, they would be the entity that would feed the eligibility files to the insurer and may be able to help you straighten it out.

Sep 19, 2015
As many have stated, one can be employed in one state but if the headquarters are in another, the insurance can be out of headquarter state.

The hospital should be billing on the date of service, and if there was insurance on the date of service, it should be covered.

It sounds like the hospital made a mess of the billing.

I agree with contacting the past employer.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Lalla, my colleagues are giving you good advice. I would only add that if they threaten to send this bill to collections, you might consider paying it to preserve your credit. When you get the insurance straightened out, they can reimburse you directly. I got into a run-around several years ago and refused to pay a $26 bill which was not mine. The service provider backed off and I thought no more about it. When applying for a mortgage, there it was as a negative on my credit report and I had to write a detailed explanation to the mortgage company.

Sep 19, 2015
Lizzie most medical office do not want to send to collections as they loose so much money on it.

Tell them that you will verify the insurance info.

I would not pay them just yet. Get the former employer and ask for benefits mananger and copy of past policy.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Lizzie most medical office do not want to send to collections as they loose so much money on it.

Tell them that you will verify the insurance info.

I would not pay them just yet. Get the former employer and ask for benefits mananger and copy of past policy.
I agree, just be sure it doesn't go to collections, based on my personal anecdote above.

Sep 19, 2015
I agree, just be sure it doesn't go to collections, based on my personal anecdote above.
JSN55 the only reason I recommended not paying the bill is the issue of the contracted insurance rates. I had an issue with a lab bill, somehow my insurance info got lost, and the bill was $300. I sent my insurance info and the insurance company paid around 100, and no further payments from me (according to my explanation of benefits).

I am concerned that the OP is being billed the full uninsured rate and would not be reimbursed for the full amount.