I got scammed on facebook for $101

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 20, 2018
A facebook user by the name of Smokeyy Bills tricked me; Willy Cruz Fuentes on facebook marketplace into sending 101.00 dollars to a facebook user named Danny Haze Knight who happens to be the same person on both accounts. I agreed to meet up and pay 119.00 in cash after sending the 101.00 through my paypal to complete transaction of a 220.00 new nintendo switch game console but instead i get blocked on the Danny account and the Smokey account leaves the automatically created groupchat via facebook marketplace agreeing to meet me in new york but never shows up. I feel so stupid for falling for a scam like this without realizing that sending money to a facebook user as described in the picture they sent me was not actually an official part of the facebook marketplace listing. Worse of all paypal wont refund me the money because it was considered sent to a family member/friend/etc. I have nothing to show for it except screenshots of the chats on facebook messenger. Could you help me?
I want my money back and for the two accounts to be permanently banned for using them to scam me.

Feb 16, 2018
These type of scams are usually fake accounts created by scammers. As soon as one is used it is shut down and a new one is created. The majority of these scams are perpetrated by overseas scammers. You can report the accounts to Facebook at any time for being fake.

As for PayPal, did you send them an email, and if so please copy and paste it here without your identifying information, so that we can see what that exchange was about.

Dec 20, 2018
These type of scams are usually fake accounts created by scammers. As soon as one is used it is shut down and a new one is created. The majority of these scams are perpetrated by overseas scammers. You can report the accounts to Facebook at any time for being fake.

As for PayPal, did you send them an email, and if so please copy and paste it here without your identifying information, so that we can see what that exchange was about.
I did not send them an email but i did get an email back from them after i reported my problem to them. This is the final reply from them. Note that while the problem is not about the unauthorized access of my account i did call them up and they told me that the way i gave the scammer money is the reason i cant get it back. I navigated facebook and hit their name. With the drop down menu showing i scrolled down and hit "pay Danny Haze Knight" which charged no taxes and is considered to be the way money is sent to friends/family.

We received the case(s) you filed on December 19, 2018.
We have reviewed this transaction(s) and are denying your case(s). This decision was made because this transaction was not unauthorized.
If you'd like a copy of the documentation we used in the investigation of your case, send a letter including the Case ID to the following address:
PayPal, Inc.
Attn: Unauthorized Account Access Appeal
P.O. Box 45950
Omaha, NE 68145
We're sorry for any problems you may have experienced with the transaction(s).
Transaction information:
Dispute Case ID:
Transaction Amount: $101.00 USD
Dispute Amount: $101.00 USD
Transaction ID:
Transaction Date: December 19, 2018

Thanks,
PayPal

Dec 20, 2018
Of course PayPal is going to deny your claim because you did this outside of Facebook.

You should contact Facebook about the user.
I called 650 543 4800 yesterday and went thru the automated msging system until i left a detailed voicemail and hadnt heard back. I reported the account that posted in the facebook marketplace repeatedly and no word back. I dont know what else to do which is why i came here. Is there another number i should call?

Feb 16, 2018
Facebook will only delete the profile. Facebook marketplace doesn't have any guarantees like eBay or Amazon. From the Facebook newsroom in 2016 when they introduced marketplace.

"Decided that you want it? Send the seller a direct message from Marketplace to tell them you’re interested and make an offer. From that point on, you and the seller can work out the details in any way you choose. Facebook does not facilitate the payment or delivery of items in Marketplace."

Facebook marketplace is akin to the local paper classified section.

Dec 20, 2018
Facebook will only delete the profile. Facebook marketplace doesn't have any guarantees like eBay or Amazon. From the Facebook newsroom in 2016 when they introduced marketplace.

"Decided that you want it? Send the seller a direct message from Marketplace to tell them you’re interested and make an offer. From that point on, you and the seller can work out the details in any way you choose. Facebook does not facilitate the payment or delivery of items in Marketplace."

Facebook marketplace is akin to the local paper classified section.
Deleting the profile is one of the things i want them to do but it would be even better if they banned ip addresses of the scammers. I probably didnt make that part about ip addresses clear before but would that also happen?

Feb 16, 2018
I don't believe Facebook would ban ip addresses, but I am not sure. I can only imagine due to shared computers in public places, that Facebook wouldn't. Have you tried to send PayPal a follow up, and tell them that you did not wish to report as unauthorized transaction, but that the seller failed to deliver promised goods?

Dec 20, 2018
I don't believe Facebook would ban ip addresses, but I am not sure. I can only imagine due to shared computers in public places, that Facebook wouldn't. Have you tried to send PayPal a follow up, and tell them that you did not wish to report as unauthorized transaction, but that the seller failed to deliver promised goods?
I tried but they looked up my account and saw that the type of transaction that took place was the kind where you give money to a family/friend; Technicality id call it. No protection there because it wasnt an actual transaction with tracking numbers or a purchase type involving the tax charge. I maybe at a standstill

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
As I stated before - Facebook isn't going to do anything for you nor will PayPal about the money you already sent. You need to get this scammer off of Facebook. You should consider that money gone. Your letter to Facebook needs to be about how this guy scammed you and that you are asking them to ban him from Facebook.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm so sorry, Willy, but there's probably little you can do. It's not that nobody cares if you were scammed, it's the situation of "he says/she says". FB is not going to remove/delete a member because you say so. PayPal is not going to refund your money because you claim to have been scammed. American citizens are "presumed innocent until proven guilty" and FaceBook and PayPal are not going to spend the time to investigate your claim. But you are perfoming a service to others when you tell FB and PP about your experience; enough reports will get the scammer banned.

Dec 20, 2018
As I stated before - Facebook isn't going to do anything for you nor will PayPal about the money you already sent. You need to get this scammer off of Facebook. You should consider that money gone. Your letter to Facebook needs to be about how this guy scammed you and that you are asking them to ban him from Facebook.
Hopefully i'll hear back from facebook and then make it about that some more because marketplace should be safe to shop at. I'll make sure to strongly argue that point across. Thank you

Dec 20, 2018
I'm so sorry, Willy, but there's probably little you can do. It's not that nobody cares if you were scammed, it's the situation of "he says/she says". FB is not going to remove/delete a member because you say so. PayPal is not going to refund your money because you claim to have been scammed. American citizens are "presumed innocent until proven guilty" and FaceBook and PayPal are not going to spend the time to investigate your claim. But you are perfoming a service to others when you tell FB and PP about your experience; enough reports will get the scammer banned.
I hope your right. Id hate to see other peiple go through what i went through especially around the holidays. I already accepted that i might not see that money again but i owed it to myself try and to see what else i could do or have done. I'll make the most of what i can do like posting here and there to get my message across. If only something could be done to protect people from such a technicality or to disable the ability to transfer money from people to people freely. Thank you for your response it really helps me cope with my current predicament.