I experienced online shopping fraud and Nordstorm didn't do anything.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 5, 2019
About two months ago I have received a letter from Nordstrom card services, saying that I have an outstanding balance of $2545 with them and I didn't pay the amount due. I was shocked because I have never opened a credit card with them. I immediately called Nordstrom, let them know that I have never opened a credit card with them and it wasn't me that made all those purchases.

Apparently, someone made fraud on me opened a credit card with them I don't know how and shopped online and picked up all the stuff from a local branch with my name. I was frustrated with Nordstrom because they should have asked for ID when you want to give the order to the customer but they didn't even bother to do that. They said they are sorry and they will fix this. They asked me to pay the minimum due which was $160 and once they closed my credit account they will return that money to me.

I paid $160 because I trusted their judgment and wanted to help the case to be resolved fast. Guess what today I have received another letter saying that I missed another payment and I still owe Nordstrom $2400. I am so angry at Nordstrom customer service, they didn't do anything to fix the issue and my credit score got hurt because of them and I not sure what to do at this point. Has anyone had such experience? What should I do at this point? should I complain to the police? Please help me. I would appreciate if you give me some suggestions.

Apr 3, 2016
Wow. It was not good to pay the bill if you did not open the account. It implies that you are taking responsibility for it. You need to immediately file a police report for stolen identity. You should also get your credit report from all 3 reporting agencies and make sure no other accounts have been opened. You need to contact Nordstrom in writing (and send the police report) that you never opened an account with them and that you are not responsible for the charges. You should also find out where the bill have been going (email or physical address).

Remember, if Nordstorm or the police find the culprit, you must be willing to press charges for the identity even if it is a relative, friend or acquaintance. If not, you can be held accountable for the charges.

Feb 16, 2018
You should contact your local police department and file a identity theft claim. The chances of catching and prosecuting this offender will be small, bit you will generate a paper trail going forward, because identity thieves don't usually open only one line of credit. You should ask for a case number from the pole department, and keep this handy for any future problems.

Sep 19, 2015
I am wondering if it was even Nordstrom that contacted her in the first place. maybe the entire debt is a scam and the payments being made are the reward for the scammer?
It seems the OP did call Nordstrom and was informed of details of the charges.

Feb 11, 2018
I am wondering if it was even Nordstrom that contacted her in the first place. maybe the entire debt is a scam and the payments being made are the reward for the scammer?
Good point! Is she sure she sent the payment to Nordstrom's, and not to an address in the letter? Could be a fraudulent address and phone #. Personally, I would never send a dime if I knew the charges were not mine.

Sep 19, 2015
But I'm wondering whether the number she called was actually Nordstrom's and not just a number that was in the letter. Could be a total scam.
More likely identity theft. Scammers usually do not ask for payment by check as that is easy to trace and if the payable to says Nordstroms — hard to cash that.

Mar 23, 2015
Yikes. You definitely need police involvement and potentially a lawyer. Your making a payment is seen as acknowledging acceptance of responsibility for the debt (not a lawyer but I watch a lot of Judge Judy :cool:). Even if Nordstrom didn't ask for an ID, someone had to have your SS, DoB, and most likely (IIRC) DL#, so be prepared to find out that it might be someone in your close circle who had access to your purse/information. Good Luck!!

Feb 11, 2018
More likely identity theft. Scammers usually do not ask for payment by check as that is easy to trace and if the payable to says Nordstroms — hard to cash that.
Of course, but I don't think it's clear how she paid--may not have been by check or she could have been fooled into making the check payable to someone else.