I bought the ticket on Lufthansa but it was a United flight. Please critique my second refund request email.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 13, 2019
I called Travelocity and they are going to ask Luthansa why they did not automatically rebook her on her original return flight and have a ticket for her to board.

Sep 19, 2015
Ok -- confusing but think I may have figured it out

Husband has a ticket bought separately and not through travelocity to fly to Milan for business.

Wife wants to accompany husband on trip and buys her own ticket through travelocity and gets on the same flights but it is ticketed on Lufthansa stock as it was cheaper --

Mechanical problem happens on outbound United operated flight which connected to another United operated flight-- and both husband and wife are rerouted onto Delta operated flight and Lufthansa operated flights.

Travelocity had sent email about cancellation of wife ticket and was not contacted,

Return -- the travelocity ticket for wife has disappeared. The husband's non travelocity bought ticket has not disappeared. Husband and wife had to buy a last minute walk up fare for return flight to be on the same flights as husband.

Does that sum up the issue?

Sep 19, 2015
Yes, very good. There are so many companies involved. They all say it was not their fault.
But I find it somewhat telling that your ticket -- the non travelocity ticket was not cancelled even though you were put on completely different airlines -- yet the travelocity issued ticket disappeared.

Jan 6, 2015
Christina's post (#22) got me curious so I went back through your posts to capture things myself (Christina did great). Here's what I see:
  • For HER, you booked CVG-EWR-MXP-EWR-CVG thru Travelocity on Lufthansa (United codeshare), which matched your itinerary
  • The CVG-EWR was canceled and you both were re-routed to CVG-EWR-MUC-MXP-EWR-CVG where CVG-EWR was on Delta flight 5510
  • The departure date was January 28th, and on that date Travelocity sends an email notice to YOUR account saying United canceled HER return leg (EWR-CVG). Neither of you saw that email until you returned home.
  • On the return date, United could not find HER ticket in the system
  • You called United but eventually booked a one-way $3,064 ticket MXP-CVG for HER because you ran out of time
If this timeline is accurate, I submit that this is what really happened:
  • When Travelocity saw that SHE failed to fly the CVG-EWR segment, having no idea that you were both re-routed on Delta, they canceled the whole itinerary
  • Once Lufthansa re-routed you both, Travelocity could NOT affect that routing
and if all that is correct, I'm not sure anyone can help, as it's no one's fault. Lufthansa/United delivered you both to Milan per their Contract of Carriage, and Travelocity was right to cancel HER itinerary when the CGV-EWR segment was canceled. Perhaps if you had contacted Travelocity on January 28th they could have worked with Lufthansa to match YOUR re-route for HER.

Advocates, please correct me if I am wrong . . .

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is just beyond sad. Using an online booking service for anything is a bad way to purchase travel; Jane has elaborated on this topic earlier and she is absolutely right. This story proves that theory in spades. The details are all jumbled up in my little mind, even tho Christina and VoR did a great job simplifying it.

BUT the fact remains that the OBS should have been contacted to fix the problem. Yinger didn't do that, he just bought another tix ... who will reimburse? Nobody.

This awful story points up the importance of communication. It's imperative that you check your email account fairly often when travelling. That's sometimes a burden, and sometimes expensive, but it has to be done. I have even paid the outrageous internet fees on a cruise ship to check my accounts occasionally. People rely on electronic communications now, you just can't ignore it. I am so sorry this happened, Yinger. I wish we could be more helpful.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Ugh. What a mess. Everyone here says that he should have called Travelocity. But years of reading the posts here would lead me to believe that if he had called Travelocity, they wouldn't have done anything--if he even could have even reached someone on the phone.

The fact that OTAs are there to sell things, not to see the trip through like a real travel agent, is well-known. A quick google search will bring up piles of complaints, one-star ratings, horrific stories.

Why is anyone still using them? I have checked prices on these online travel agencies many times and they are never better than what is offered directly by the airlines.

I feel for the original poster. What happened wasn't right. I hope he is made whole. But WHY exactly is anyone still using Travelocity?
I wish every single traveller would read this. There is ONE REASON that people still use the online booking services. ADVERTISING. These entities spend billions on slick advertising ... and people are lulled into forgetting that they're dealing with untrained, uncaring, low-paid call center people. These entities pay clever webmasters to create a website that people will be comfortable with, that is easy to use and looks sophisticated. Nothing could be further from the truth. And of course there are the people who would move heaven and earth to save $10 off an airline tix. Such a shame.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Christina's post (#22) got me curious so I went back through your posts to capture things myself (Christina did great). Here's what I see:
  • For HER, you booked CVG-EWR-MXP-EWR-CVG thru Travelocity on Lufthansa (United codeshare), which matched your itinerary
  • The CVG-EWR was canceled and you both were re-routed to CVG-EWR-MUC-MXP-EWR-CVG where CVG-EWR was on Delta flight 5510
  • The departure date was January 28th, and on that date Travelocity sends an email notice to YOUR account saying United canceled HER return leg (EWR-CVG). Neither of you saw that email until you returned home.
  • On the return date, United could not find HER ticket in the system
  • You called United but eventually booked a one-way $3,064 ticket MXP-CVG for HER because you ran out of time
If this timeline is accurate, I submit that this is what really happened:
  • When Travelocity saw that SHE failed to fly the CVG-EWR segment, having no idea that you were both re-routed on Delta, they canceled the whole itinerary
  • Once Lufthansa re-routed you both, Travelocity could NOT affect that routing
and if all that is correct, I'm not sure anyone can help, as it's no one's fault. Lufthansa/United delivered you both to Milan per their Contract of Carriage, and Travelocity was right to cancel HER itinerary when the CGV-EWR segment was canceled. Perhaps if you had contacted Travelocity on January 28th they could have worked with Lufthansa to match YOUR re-route for HER.

Advocates, please correct me if I am wrong . . .
This sounds like a likely scenario. That’s exactly why Travelocity should have been called. I hope now that he has reached out to Travelocity they may be able to help.

If this isn’t a lesson about not using a third party, nothing else is.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It’s the way anything works. You always go back to the place you bought something. That’s like buying a tv for the super bowl from Walmart by mail and it arrived the day before the SuperBowl and doesn’t work, so I run to Best Buy on the corner and buy the exact same tv but it costs $100 more. I return the broken tv to Walmart and then tell them
“By the way, you owe me the extra $100 it cost me to buy the tv at BestBuy because I needed that tv for my SuperBowl party. Walmart says no way, there was a Walmart 30 minutes away you could have exchanged it for the same price.

You have to let the company you buy through fix the problem. I hope our contacts help the OP and that others will learn from his experience.

Sep 19, 2015
VoR61 thank you for making a more detailed chronology.

I am very interested to hear what Travelocity has to say about this mess. Not only for the sake of the OP but for selfish reasons as I have taken and do have code shares with UA and LH — and when my outbound has been changed due to some sort of problem and I was booked on a non partner I have had no problem with the return. In general UA and LH play nicely with each other — computers have access to the others reservation system. But I do not use OTAs for airlines.

OP please keep us updated.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
The OP originally sent in a help request and was referred to the forum to develop a paper trail.

I just looked at what was submitted, and my take is that the problem was the way United reissued the ticket. When United changed the ticket, they reissued the ticket on their stock (016), as the return was on the same ticket, it should have been reissued also. I have a feeling United just reissued the outbound and not the complete ticket. I've seen this happen before.

I don't think contacting Travelocity is going to be helpful since the record was taken over by United to do the reissue. I recommend using the link I emailed you previously to escalate your case using our United Airline contacts.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2015
Understood, thanks. So for that to happen, United would have re-issued HIS ticket with a full itinerary but re-issued HER ticket minus the return leg . . .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It won’t hurt for him to request from both Travelocity and United because we already know that many airlines won’t deal directly if it’s booked through a third party and it seems like Travelocity is trying to help at this point.

Jan 6, 2015
The starting place for me would be United with just one question: How was HER return itinerary cancelled?

Until that fact is revealed, the course ahead is unknowable . . .

Mar 13, 2019
A question, I wouldn't think Travelocity can cancel a flight or a ticket. They only pass along information they receive from the airlines.

The email from Travelocity has the subject "United Changed Your Flight Details " so United would have been the ones to cancel the flight. The body of that email has 3 tickets mentioned.
Lufthansa Flight Number: LH7614, From: Newark, NJ (EWR-Liberty Intl.), To: Milan (MXP-Malpensa Intl.), Status: CONFIRMED, Operated By: UNITED AIRLINES(LH).
Lufthansa Flight Number: LH7615, From: Milan (MXP-Malpensa Intl.), To: Newark, NJ (EWR-Liberty Intl.), Status: CONFIRMED, Operated By: UNITED AIRLINES(LH).
United Flight Number: UA4985, From: Newark, NJ (EWR-Liberty Intl.), To: Cincinnati, OH (CVG-Cincinnati - Northern Kentucky Intl.), Status: CANCELLED, Operated By: /COMMUTAIR DBA UNITED EXPRESS(UA).

As I wrote this I thought the last segment was going to be Lufthansa so I went back and looked at my original booking. it is CVG(UN)-EWR(LH)-MXP(LH)-EWR(UN)-CVG.​