I bought the ticket on Lufthansa but it was a United flight. Please critique my second refund request email.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 13, 2019
I booked a round trip ticket above On Lufthansa from CVG to MXP departing Jan 28 and returning Feb 11.

Lufthansa Confirmation PGNBHU
United Confirmation A4X9VQ

My itinerary:
Jan 28 Cincinnati to Newark United 4977
Jan 28 Newark to Milan, Italy United 19

Feb 11 Milan, Italy to Newark United 18
Feb 11 Newark to Cincinnati United 4985

The problem came on the return flight. When I tried to check in Feb 11, for my return flight on United 18, United said they did not have a ticket or any record of me being in their system. I should contact a Lufthansa agent. The Lufthansa agent said once the ticket was signed over to United we had to clear up the problem with them. I called United customer service, explained the situation and was put on hold. When it became one hour before departure I decided to prevent being stranded in Italy, I needed to buy a one way ticket from Milan to Cincinnati. I purchased it from Lufthansa costing $3064.53. I bought from Lufthansa so that it was the same carrier as my original ticket.

I was able to get my ticket and boarded United flight 18 and continued with United flight 4985 back to Cincinnati. on Mon Feb 11.

I request a refund of the $3064.53 USD cost of the one way ticket Milan, Italy to Cincinnati purchased Feb 11 in Italy because United did not have a return ticket for me as they should have.

I think the problem came from my Cincinnati flights to Milan being changed due to mechanical problems with the plane on the first segment. I think United lost track of me and cancelled my return flight.

United called me and said they had no legal obligation to correct this problem. They did have a moral obligation to make it right but no legal obligation.

Please refund the price of the ticket I had to buy to take the same flights home I had already had a valid confirmation number for.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
Can you explain in more detail exactly what happened with the outbound flights and any ticketing changes that may have taken place?

Sep 19, 2015
I booked a round trip ticket above On Lufthansa from CVG to MXP departing Jan 28 and returning Feb 11.

Lufthansa Confirmation PGNBHU
United Confirmation A4X9VQ

My itinerary:
Jan 28 Cincinnati to Newark United 4977
Jan 28 Newark to Milan, Italy United 19

Feb 11 Milan, Italy to Newark United 18
Feb 11 Newark to Cincinnati United 4985

The problem came on the return flight. When I tried to check in Feb 11, for my return flight on United 18, United said they did not have a ticket or any record of me being in their system. I should contact a Lufthansa agent. The Lufthansa agent said once the ticket was signed over to United we had to clear up the problem with them. I called United customer service, explained the situation and was put on hold. When it became one hour before departure I decided to prevent being stranded in Italy, I needed to buy a one way ticket from Milan to Cincinnati. I purchased it from Lufthansa costing $3064.53. I bought from Lufthansa so that it was the same carrier as my original ticket.

I was able to get my ticket and boarded United flight 18 and continued with United flight 4985 back to Cincinnati. on Mon Feb 11.

I request a refund of the $3064.53 USD cost of the one way ticket Milan, Italy to Cincinnati purchased Feb 11 in Italy because United did not have a return ticket for me as they should have.

I think the problem came from my Cincinnati flights to Milan being changed due to mechanical problems with the plane on the first segment. I think United lost track of me and cancelled my return flight.

United called me and said they had no legal obligation to correct this problem. They did have a moral obligation to make it right but no legal obligation.

Please refund the price of the ticket I had to buy to take the same flights home I had already had a valid confirmation number for.

Ok I have some questions:

You booked on travelocity. When there was a problem did you ever call them?

What was the change in the original Cincinnati to Newark flight?

Why did you buy a Lufthansa code share ticket when not one of your flights was on Lufthansa and not one in Germany?

I purchased it from Lufthansa costing $3064.53. I bought from Lufthansa so that it was the same carrier as my original ticket.

Why did you buy it from Lufthansa? Did you check and see if it was less expensive on United -- you did not fly one Lufthansa plane, only a UA plane. If you are standing in front of a United counter, why did you buy a ticket from Lufthansa? Lufthansa was never the operating carrier.

Did you ever try checking in the night before?

Are you sure that Travelocity even ticketed this properly?

Mar 13, 2019
I was not able to contact Travelocity until i got back home. I didn't think of calling them when the problem happened.

The United Cincinnati to Newark flight was cancelled because they could not pressurize the cabin. We were put on Delta 5510 to Newark. Lufthansa 413 to Munich, Lufthansa 1856 to Milan. I bought Lufthansa ticket because cost was $684 vs approx $1100 for United.

I figured I would have no possibility getting a refund from United because why would they refund me money for an error on a flight that I did not purchase a ticket from them. I should have said I purchased it from Lufthansa costing $3064.53. I bought from Lufthansa so that it was the same carrier as my original RESERVATION. I did not check the night before.

There was a mention of a flight cancellation sent to Travelocity when we were trying to figure things out at the airport. When back home I found an email from Travelocity dated Jan 28 that said United cancelled my United 4985 return flight from Newark to Cincinnati and I should contact them if I needed to make other arrangements. It showed I was confirmed on my United 18 flight from Milan to Newark and that my flight from Newark to Cincinnati was cancelled. It was not cancelled because it is the flight I took to get from Newark to Cincinnati.

Mar 13, 2019
Even though I have flown over a million miles I thought who you bought the air travel from was more important for customer service than who the flight was operated by. This was reinforced by United telling me at check in "You bought the ticket from Lufthansa so you have to talk to them to straighten this out."

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you bought the ticket from Lufthansa, United is a code share airline and Lufthansa indeed could have changed everything.

Your error was not calling Travelocity to rebook you. When you purchase through an OTA, that’s who you have to go to when there is a problem with your flight .

I don’t see see anyone refunding your ticket because you took it on yourself to rebook a ticket instead of properly going back to the OTA.

You can write to Travelocity and ask for their help but once but another ticket instead of letting the airline fix it for you, they generally don’t refund you.

Sep 19, 2015
I am now uncertain as to who cancelled the ticket, UA or Travelocity.

I have had outbound tickets changed due to mechanical and put on other non partner carriers and was always protected on the return — but I booked directly with the airlines — twice ended up on Alitalia when there was an issue on Swiss and another on Lufthansa for intereuropean flights.

Is there a chance travelocity cancelled the return as they never heard from you?

Sep 19, 2015
if a travelocity computer cancelled the return then the problem is not with United or Lufthansa, legally or morally.

Did you ever speak to Travelocity upon return to find out what happened?

Sep 19, 2015
Even though I have flown over a million miles I thought who you bought the air travel from was more important for customer service than who the flight was operated by. This was reinforced by United telling me at check in "You bought the ticket from Lufthansa so you have to talk to them to straighten this out."
But you bought the ticket from Travelocity to begin with which is why this is even more complicated.

May 16, 2018
Ugh. What a mess. Everyone here says that he should have called Travelocity. But years of reading the posts here would lead me to believe that if he had called Travelocity, they wouldn't have done anything--if he even could have even reached someone on the phone.

The fact that OTAs are there to sell things, not to see the trip through like a real travel agent, is well-known. A quick google search will bring up piles of complaints, one-star ratings, horrific stories.

Why is anyone still using them? I have checked prices on these online travel agencies many times and they are never better than what is offered directly by the airlines.

I feel for the original poster. What happened wasn't right. I hope he is made whole. But WHY exactly is anyone still using Travelocity?

Mar 13, 2019
I didn't mention it before now because i didn't want to confuse things and it doesn't affect what happened but it makes me wonder who is to blame. The ticket bought from Travelocity was for my wife. I was traveling on business and she came along with me. She was booked on a Lufthansa purchase and I was booked on a United purchase. We both had the same changes on our departing flights with the mechanical problem and being rerouted to Milan through Germany. She got a notice on the day of the departing flight (delivered to my personal email at home) that her last return flight was cancelled. I did not. My flight notices come to my company phone tracked by tripit so I had no indication there was a problem. Also Travelocity said the flight was cancelled but it was not cancelled. We both flew home on the same flights as the original booking.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I didn't mention it before now because i didn't want to confuse things and it doesn't affect what happened but it makes me wonder who is to blame. The ticket bought from Travelocity was for my wife. I was traveling on business and she came along with me. She was booked on a Lufthansa purchase and I was booked on a United purchase. We both had the same changes on our departing flights with the mechanical problem and being rerouted to Milan through Germany. She got a notice on the day of the departing flight (delivered to my personal email at home) that her last return flight was cancelled. I did not. My flight notices come to my company phone tracked by tripit so I had no indication there was a problem. Also Travelocity said the flight was cancelled but it was not cancelled. We both flew home on the same flights as the original booking.
Now I am totally confused. You had to both repurchase new tickets for the original flight?

Mar 13, 2019
I did not have to buy a ticket. My reservation was on United and my ticket was there for me check in, My wife did not have a ticket. we only had to buy a ticket for her.