I am trying to make enterprise drop a claim against me without using my insurance policy. Is there a deadline for when a claim must be submitted?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 21, 2019
I'll start from the beginning, I'm new here, and I am trying to resolve a damage claim with enterprise. I rented a car a few weeks ago, and dropped it off at a small airport, and gave enterprise instructions through the airport employee to pick it up there. While I know that probably wasn't the best move, its pretty common for pilots going to pick up a plane at an unattended airport to do this, and I had done it plenty of times before with no issue.

This airport was absolutely in the middle of nowhere with nothing but a small flight school, a few fuel pumps and some hangars. I didn't see a single other car there, and I don't see a way that it could have been damaged there. If there ever was any damage to the car, I think it probably happened when the driver from enterprise was picking it up to bring back to their office, or after they brought it back.

• 3 days after I dropped it off I got a call from the branch I picked it up at telling me that the location I dropped it off from had seen a crack in the bumper, and advised me to dispute the claim.
  • 8 days after I dropped it off, I got a generic email from the damage recovery unit saying that there was damage and asking for my insurance information.
  • 11 days after I dropped it off, I followed the linked post as well as I could, saying that I believed some mistake had been made, and that I was requesting the information listed in that post. The email address I used was the customer service one from this website. https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/
    • Before doing this, I spoke with my insurance broker who I know personally. The broker advised me to call my provider National General, and inform them so that they could investigate, but not to file a claim unless I wanted to.
  • 13 days after I dropped the car off I got an email back from customer service giving me a number to call for the damage recovery unit. I responded to this saying that I wanted to communicate by email only. That was four days ago and I haven't heard anything.

When I called National General, they said there was nothing they could do, unless I want to file a claim. I am hesitant to do this for a few reasons. Since I wasn't there when the car was returned, I don't have any evidence on my side. I don't want to pay my deductible or jack up my rates, so I'm doing my best to avoid this.

My questions are as follows;

1. I'm re-reading my insurance policy here, and I can't find any specific deadline for when a claim has to be submitted. All I see is that under "Duties After an Accident or Loss" claims must be submitted "promptly". I'm going to go through the policy again, but I don't see anything else. Is there some kind of rule of thumb or law about this? Google has not been particularly helpful unfortunately.
  2. Is there anything else you recommend I do in this situation? I should have a bit of time later this week to work on this further.

Thank you for answering these questions, as well as posting the "How To Deal With a Car Rental Damage Claim" thread.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you follow the full instructions on how to handle a car rental damage claim- by writing one at a time to Enterprise executives? The executives are the ones hat get these claims dropped, not customer service. That works in almost every single case.

Did Enterprise give you the ok to leave the car where you left it? Did you ask for pictures of the damage?

Oct 21, 2019
Did you follow the full instructions on how to handle a car rental damage claim- by writing one at a time to Enterprise executives? The executives are the ones hat get these claims dropped, not customer service. That works in almost every single case.

Did Enterprise give you the ok to leave the car where you left it? Did you ask for pictures of the damage?
I only wrote to customer service. My understanding is that it was best to wait for them to respond with something of substance before going up the chain. If you think its a good idea I'll try the executives now. Would a physical letter be better than email?

I never got the ok to drop the car at the airport, it didn't occur to me to do it. I will say that leaving a rental car at a small airport is very common though, most airport managers will call the rental company if you ask, and even advertise it on their website.

I did ask for timestamped images of the damage, odometer etc.

I rented another car from them this week, took a massive number of pictures this time, this is quite a headache.

Thanks

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I only wrote to customer service. My understanding is that it was best to wait for them to respond with something of substance before going up the chain. If you think its a good idea I'll try the executives now. Would a physical letter be better than email?

I never got the ok to drop the car at the airport, it didn't occur to me to do it. I will say that leaving a rental car at a small airport is very common though, most airport managers will call the rental company if you ask, and even advertise it on their website.

I did ask for timestamped images of the damage, odometer etc.

I rented another car from them this week, took a massive number of pictures this time, this is quite a headache.

Thanks
If you read our post, we tell you to wait a week and then move to the first executive. Customer service doesn’t usually help- the executives are the ones that do it. If it’s been at least a week, write to the first executive at Enterprise. Repeat weekly.

Oct 21, 2019
If you read our post, we tell you to wait a week and then move to the first executive. Customer service doesn’t usually help- the executives are the ones that do it. If it’s been at least a week, write to the first executive at Enterprise. Repeat weekly.
Got it, I just heard back from the customer care email, and they gave me an email address for the damage recovery unit. Do you recommend I email them, or would I be wasting my time?

Thanks

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Don’t waste your time with the damage recovery unit. They are there to you collect money and we’ve not had a damage recovery unit drop these claims that I recall. It has always been dropped by Executives at the car rental company.

Oct 21, 2019
Don’t waste your time with the damage recovery unit. They are there to you collect money and we’ve not had a damage recovery unit drop these claims that I recall. It has always been dropped by Executives at the car rental company.
Okay, so don't send anything to the damage recovery unit, wait until a week after I sent the initial email and start with the first CEO?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Have you written to the first contact we show for Hertz? That’s where you need to begin. After you send the initial email to the car rental company, wait a week for a reply. If you don’t hear anything or receive a no, then you write to the first executive. Repeat weekly.
This item tells you exactly how to do this. There is a link on how to write in it:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.9703/

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Oct 21, 2019
Update;

I got another email late last night from the original damage recovery unit email address. They sent a bill, as well as some pictures of the supposed damage. You can see a crack in the bumper in one of the photos, but there is no timestamp. Should I reply to this email, or wait until a week has passed and email the first executive?

They also sent a photo of a scuff on the bumper which I distinctly remember the employee said he would note when I first picked the car up.

Oct 21, 2019
Also, things they did not include in the email today;

- Their copy of the original agreement and the receipt given to you when you returned the car. I never got a receipt, but I requested one in my initial email.

- Time-stamped and dated pictures of the damage- Pictures were not timestamped.

- A picture of the mileage indicator showing the mileage on the car when the damage was noted.

- A copy of the incident report

-A photo of the plate number with the damage. They never clearly show the damage in the same picture as the plate number. The only photo that has the damage area and the plate in the same frame is taken in terrible light, too far away to see the supposed crack.

I'm quite suspicious of this whole thing, as the amount they billed me is just under my deductible. For a guy with not a lot of money, this is still a pretty big hit.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Write to Enterprise and state this and request that the damage claim be dropped. The damage recovery unit is there to collect your money. Again- the executives at the car rental companies are the ones that get these things dropped.

Jun 12, 2019
I'll start from the beginning, I'm new here, and I am trying to resolve a damage claim with enterprise. I rented a car a few weeks ago, and dropped it off at a small airport, and gave enterprise instructions through the airport employee to pick it up there. While I know that probably wasn't the best move, its pretty common for pilots going to pick up a plane at an unattended airport to do this, and I had done it plenty of times before with no issue.

This airport was absolutely in the middle of nowhere with nothing but a small flight school, a few fuel pumps and some hangars. I didn't see a single other car there, and I don't see a way that it could have been damaged there. If there ever was any damage to the car, I think it probably happened when the driver from enterprise was picking it up to bring back to their office, or after they brought it back.

• 3 days after I dropped it off I got a call from the branch I picked it up at telling me that the location I dropped it off from had seen a crack in the bumper, and advised me to dispute the claim.
  • 8 days after I dropped it off, I got a generic email from the damage recovery unit saying that there was damage and asking for my insurance information.
  • 11 days after I dropped it off, I followed the linked post as well as I could, saying that I believed some mistake had been made, and that I was requesting the information listed in that post. The email address I used was the customer service one from this website. https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/
    • Before doing this, I spoke with my insurance broker who I know personally. The broker advised me to call my provider National General, and inform them so that they could investigate, but not to file a claim unless I wanted to.
  • 13 days after I dropped the car off I got an email back from customer service giving me a number to call for the damage recovery unit. I responded to this saying that I wanted to communicate by email only. That was four days ago and I haven't heard anything.

When I called National General, they said there was nothing they could do, unless I want to file a claim. I am hesitant to do this for a few reasons. Since I wasn't there when the car was returned, I don't have any evidence on my side. I don't want to pay my deductible or jack up my rates, so I'm doing my best to avoid this.

My questions are as follows;

1. I'm re-reading my insurance policy here, and I can't find any specific deadline for when a claim has to be submitted. All I see is that under "Duties After an Accident or Loss" claims must be submitted "promptly". I'm going to go through the policy again, but I don't see anything else. Is there some kind of rule of thumb or law about this? Google has not been particularly helpful unfortunately.
  2. Is there anything else you recommend I do in this situation? I should have a bit of time later this week to work on this further.

Thank you for answering these questions, as well as posting the "How To Deal With a Car Rental Damage Claim" thread.
What you are looking for is the Statute of Limitation on property damage claims. You can find your state's statute here:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/statute-of-limitations-state-laws-chart-29941.html