Hyatt House New Orleans, LA

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 14, 2019
I was kicked out of the hotel because i was rude to the valet person. I was staying at the hotel for 2 months on work assignment and they kicked me out and said you have to move out immediately. Manager said they did not like the tone of my voice.

Feb 21, 2018
If you are perceived as threatening to hotel staff, they can essentially 'evict' you from the premises.

From your point of view, you indicate you were rude. What exactly defines the rude behavior they say you exhibited?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I was kicked out of the hotel because i was rude to the valet person. I was staying at the hotel for 2 months on work assignment and they kicked me out and said you have to move out immediately. Manager said they did not like the tone of my voice.
Being rude to staff in any public establishment is a good way to get evicted and perhaps put on a do-not-rent list for the entire Hyatt chain.
Here are Hyatt contacts if you wish to pursue further: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/hyatt/

Sep 14, 2019
My story: I had to park by the front door because i had a lot of bags to drop off. I had to run in and re park the car but valet person wanted me to pay over $10 even if it was 5 minutes. I could always drop bags off or go check in to the hotel before parking my car in the valet. I spoke to few workers at the hotel and they said i did nothing wrong by dropping the bags off and leaving the car with the key in with the guys up front. The valet person was so rude to me and kept telling me that i would pay even if i park here for a second, so i told him i was not going to pay because it is only for less than five minutes and he kept being very aggressive and i told him to stop talking to me this way. I just stood up for myself and did what was right. I ended up taking the car to the parking lot half a mile away and left it at the that. When i got to the room, manager came up and said i was rude to him and they did not like my tone of voice and asked me to leave the hotel. They did not want me to stay for another 80 days there due to my rude behavior. She kept insisting that because i was from another country i don't understand how America works and i thought that was way out of line by bringing my race in to this conversation. Manager kept saying that because my accent is so heavy, they think i was raised in the different country that i would not understand how to talk to people in U.S. but i have lived here since 1995. When it turned the route that i never even thought it would (racial card) i got very offended as well. I could be wrong by not being super polite to them but when i am right and i think i did not do anything but stand up for myself. It was horrible experience!

Sep 19, 2015
My story: I had to park by the front door because i had a lot of bags to drop off. I had to run in and re park the car but valet person wanted me to pay over $10 even if it was 5 minutes. I could always drop bags off or go check in to the hotel before parking my car in the valet. I spoke to few workers at the hotel and they said i did nothing wrong by dropping the bags off and leaving the car with the key in with the guys up front. The valet person was so rude to me and kept telling me that i would pay even if i park here for a second, so i told him i was not going to pay because it is only for less than five minutes and he kept being very aggressive and i told him to stop talking to me this way. I just stood up for myself and did what was right. I ended up taking the car to the parking lot half a mile away and left it at the that. When i got to the room, manager came up and said i was rude to him and they did not like my tone of voice and asked me to leave the hotel. They did not want me to stay for another 80 days there due to my rude behavior. She kept insisting that because i was from another country i don't understand how America works and i thought that was way out of line by bringing my race in to this conversation. Manager kept saying that because my accent is so heavy, they think i was raised in the different country that i would not understand how to talk to people in U.S. but i have lived here since 1995. When it turned the route that i never even thought it would (racial card) i got very offended as well. I could be wrong by not being super polite to them but when i am right and i think i did not do anything but stand up for myself. It was horrible experience!
It sounds like an unpleasant experience which escalated into remarks being made into country of origin -- which should not happen; that was out of line.

Is this the Hyatt House on Poydras Street? If so the problem is that the hotel parking is valet only.

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/louisiana/hyatt-house-new-orleans-downtown/msyxd

And if this is the Poydras Street location it looks like there is a small entrance and the building is downtown -- and the lobby is on the 11th floor.

If one has to take an elevator and stand in line to check in it could easily be more than 5 minutes of leaving the car.

And if the policy is to charge for unattended cars and to hand the keys to the valet, then that is the policy -- and once you say I am not going to pay it because it is only 5 minutes -- and get into an argument over that, the manager may think what else will the traveler refuse to pay for?

No matter what, county of origin and/or race should not be addressed in such a manner by management. However, if the policy is no leaving of a car unattended without a fee and handing the key to the valet then I am not sure if you were correct to argue about it -- the choice is to pay the fee or take the car elsewhere -- so there is not much to argue about or stand up for.

Where did you end up staying? What would you like from Hyatt?

Attachments

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What a nasty experience. When the conversation started with the valet, did s/he understand what you were saying? Was there a place to leave your car while you checked in? As Christina points out, you can't make up your own rules and expect the hotel to go along. The biggest issues that hotel valets face is "doing a guest a favor". They OK five minutes, the guest returns in 20 minutes. The valets get yelled at for that by their supervisor, since your car is probably disrupting traffic.

It's the guest's responsibility to know the rules of a hotel, and abide by them ... especially when your behaviour really puts the hotel in a bad position with other drivers and law enforcement. Asking "other workers" if you did the right thing is a non-starter .... they're not going to tell you that you were wrong. Whether you're right or wrong, without "eye witnesses" to your conversation with the valet, there's not much you can do. If the manager "kept insisting", that most likely means that you were argumentative with him as well. I'm sorry this happened to you, but I'm not sure there's anything to be done.

Apr 1, 2019
As a former GM of several hotels and with my current consulting in hospitality I admire a hotel that stands by the employees. With my properties once barred or removed means always barred.

I also never understood why people, after being removed, try so desperately to return to the property. It is almost a mission for them. If I were barred, I'd never return.

May 30, 2019
I agree with @jsn55. Based on the OP's description, the OP was asking the valet to do a favor then being rude when the valet chose not to. After all, once the keys are given to the valet, the valet has a business and perhaps legal responsibility to care for the car, which takes time away from watching & parking other cars. Time is money to a valet driver. And the OP's car could have been blocking those of people ready to pay for parking.

I'm not familiar with this hotel other than location, right by two sports arenas on a street that is already busy at any time day or night. (If this were the same day as a football game at the Superdome or other sporting event, the level of traffic and chaos around the hotel would have been event greater, which puts an even greater level of stress on the valet when someone asks the valet to watch the car and not pay for the service.) It appears to charge $42 / night for valet parking, which is about the norm for that part of town.

It could be that valet parking is operated by a third party, e.g. not associated with the hotel, so the valet would not feel the need to provide extra consideration for a customer at the hotel's level of courtesy and would be more inclined to enforce the rules. Maybe the OP had asked for this favor a few times and the valet had enough of doing such favors. Maybe this was the OP's first request. Regardless, based on my travels to NOLA, I believe the appropriate thing to do would have been to just pay $10 or at least offer a $5 gratuity to watch the car for a few minutes -- especially if I plan to stay at the hotel for a couple more months. The OP would have gotten to know nearly everyone at the hotel over 80 days, so being argumentative didn't help. Not paying for parking is not standing up for oneself and doing what is right.

Based on the OP's description, the manager was way out of line bringing country of origin into the conversation. (Country of origin is not necessarily the same as race, especially for a city like NOLA that has a unique mix of backgrounds and is used to hosting people from around the world.)

If I were the OP, at this point I would not try to get any compensation or return to the hotel and just move on to another hotel, perhaps one with free self-parking closer to the airport.

All MHO.

Sep 19, 2015
One thing I will point out -- if this was the Hyatt House on Poydras Street -- this is a large building -- 24 floors with not just the hotel but also many businesses that use the same entrance. The hotel occupies several floors (11-17). The hotel does not have complete control over the driveway and/or entrance which may be used by visitors to other tenants in the building.

There is even a Federal Government office in the building (USCIS -- ie Immigration and Citizenship) which may be another reason that an unattended car can not be left in the driveway.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Y
I agree with @jsn55. Based on the OP's description, the OP was asking the valet to do a favor then being rude when the valet chose not to. After all, once the keys are given to the valet, the valet has a business and perhaps legal responsibility to care for the car, which takes time away from watching & parking other cars. Time is money to a valet driver. And the OP's car could have been blocking those of people ready to pay for parking.

I'm not familiar with this hotel other than location, right by two sports arenas on a street that is already busy at any time day or night. (If this were the same day as a football game at the Superdome or other sporting event, the level of traffic and chaos around the hotel would have been event greater, which puts an even greater level of stress on the valet when someone asks the valet to watch the car and not pay for the service.) It appears to charge $42 / night for valet parking, which is about the norm for that part of town.

It could be that valet parking is operated by a third party, e.g. not associated with the hotel, so the valet would not feel the need to provide extra consideration for a customer at the hotel's level of courtesy and would be more inclined to enforce the rules. Maybe the OP had asked for this favor a few times and the valet had enough of doing such favors. Maybe this was the OP's first request. Regardless, based on my travels to NOLA, I believe the appropriate thing to do would have been to just pay $10 or at least offer a $5 gratuity to watch the car for a few minutes -- especially if I plan to stay at the hotel for a couple more months. The OP would have gotten to know nearly everyone at the hotel over 80 days, so being argumentative didn't help. Not paying for parking is not standing up for oneself and doing what is right.

Based on the OP's description, the manager was way out of line bringing country of origin into the conversation. (Country of origin is not necessarily the same as race, especially for a city like NOLA that has a unique mix of backgrounds and is used to hosting people from around the world.)

If I were the OP, at this point I would not try to get any compensation or return to the hotel and just move on to another hotel, perhaps one with free self-parking closer to the airport.

All MHO.
You bring up a very important point, Skippy. Travellers frequently encounter services that have charges, or where tips are the norm. The way you "ask a favor" of one of these people is to (in this case) hand them a $5 while asking (not stating) to leave your car there while you take your bags in. It's just inconsiderate to expect people to do their jobs for free.

Dec 19, 2014
Here is the screen shot of google maps of the Hyatt House.
The Valet Parking sign is clearly visible and states that 0-2 hours the charge is $10. Furthermore the driveway to the hotel is a very small area and cannot accommodate many vehicles. So, you are not entitled to 5 minutes of parking for free.

Thus, arguing with the valet, will not put you in a good position with the hotel management.

Now, here's the real issue for you...
You may be banned not only from the specific property but all the properties owned by the management group.

I also have the sneaking suspicion that there is more to the story. Are you trying to remove the ban from the hotel? Your first course of action is to write a letter of apology to the general manager and request to be taken off the black list. Otherwise your next recourse is to contact corporate. Good luck

Hyatt House NO.jpg

Jun 27, 2017
If this is the hotel Boxana19 booked, there indeed could be a problem with leaving a vehicle unattended for any length of time to check-in at a hotel that occupies Floors 11-17, with no ground floor lobby. And since there are other occupants in this building not affiliated with the hotel, the valet parking rules (0-2 Hours $10) may be set by the building's owners, not the hotel.

It's been said "Rules Are Rules" and cannot be broken, but sometimes they can be bent, but probably not in this instance. In similar instances, valets and bellmen have unloaded our vehicle and tagged our "stuff" on a rolling luggage cart, while we parked our vehicle and walked back to the hotel. I wonder if that could have been done in this instance.

Also, Boxana19 said in Post #1, her stay was for "2 months", but in Post #4 she said, "They did not want me to stay for another 80 days there due to my rude behavior." Not sure what her entire hotel stay was, but the manager thought it better - right or wrong on the manager's part - that Boxana19 should be evicted. Interesting case. Sorry it happened for all parties concerned.