Hyatt Hotels

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 21, 2019
I recently celebrated my 50th anniversary at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort for six nights. I booked this reservation through a local travel agent who booked final itinerary with GOGO Travel. I paid my final bill and received the folio which provided me with few points and six nights but no points for the room which was a King suite. After the fact, I ready Hyatt's policy about "eligible rates" which indicated a rate obtained through a wholesaler or travel agent is no an eligible rate. Looking at the fine print in the explanation, it is indicated that the hotel would provide no points but a free upgrade if available. The hotel never mentioned this option.
I do believe that a traveler in good faith should be provided some points for an expensive room and I also guess that the advertised room rate is different (more or less) than the rate advertised if one books directly. I have no knowledge of the actual rate as this is not provided to me in the itinerary. In summary, any traveler on vacation who books a stay at a Hyatt resort through a "wholesaler" or travel agent will not receive any points for their stay. I find this policy quite objectionable and believe that I or others who went down this road should receive some points (50%?) for their six or multiple nights stay.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is how Hyatt works when booked by a travel agent and not direct. Often the travel supplier (GoGo) has lower rates than the hotel and that's why the hotel won't give you points too. I am fairly certain you didn't pay Hyatt's own prices but that you paid less using GoGo. You can't have it both ways

However, I give them my Hyatt number at check in to add to the reservation and I am given any perks that I am entitled to. I've also gotten points a time or two by doing this as well.

Feb 16, 2018
Your Hyatt membership terms spell this out.

“Ineligible Rates” are all rates other than Eligible Rates and include Free Night Awards (as defined in Appendix B), complimentary nights awarded in connection with Miraval’s Authentic Circle program, rooms booked on third-party online retailers (such as Expedia.com, Travelocity.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline.com

Sep 19, 2015
The hotels do this so people will book directly with them. As Neil said, you can't have it both ways and it is doubtful that Hyatt will do anything for you.

I believe that many other hotel programs do the same thing here is what Marriott says:

Non-Qualifying Rates. A “Non-Qualifying Rate” is a rate a Member pays for a Stay in a guest room at a Participating Property which does not qualify to earn Points or Miles, as well as membership tier benefits. Non-Qualifying Rates are those booked using the following methods:
i. The guest room was booked through a tour operator, online travel channel or other third-party channel including, without limitation, expedia.com, hotwire.com, priceline.com, orbitz.com, booking.com, travelocity.com;

Dec 19, 2014
Every major hotel chain and loyalty program spells out that only eligible rates earn points.
Is there any specific reason you choose to use a TA rather than booking direct?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
GOGO rates are HIGHLY discounted. For example, they are now offering 5 days in Maui at the Fairmont Kea Lani including a rental car and daily breakfast for 2 for $2015. The rate through the hotel is $3365 without a car.
Hyatt will not give points for such a discounted rate.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
FOR OUR OTHER READERS: Don't learn this the hard way. You can have a highly-discounted package or you can book directly and earn your points. I think we've all been here at one point or the other. Don't make a decision on a trip until you read all the information. It's a real blow to find out after the fact, but much more easily handled if you know the score before you make the booking.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
GOGO rates are HIGHLY discounted. For example, they are now offering 5 days in Maui at the Fairmont Kea Lani including a rental car and daily breakfast for 2 for $2015. The rate through the hotel is $3365 without a car.
Hyatt will not give points for such a discounted rate.
I’d take the $1300 in my pocket and forgo the points if so had a choice.