Hyatt Hotel- Charges my CC 183 and returns my 8000 points to book a room for canceling

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 18, 2019
Hi,
I booked two separate Hyatt Hotel stays using my points at the Heathrow London Airport Hotel. I was unable to use my night June 11th
2019 as I missed my flight from Italy back to London. I canceled the room at 6am via the website and was fully prepared to lose my points.
What I was not expecting was my credit card to be charged 183 dollars for the missed stay. I called my chase travel card and was told that that
hotel's cancellation policy was to refund the points and charge cash for a missed stay. This was not indicated anywhere in the cancelation policy.
Chase Travel would not help me (I am disappointed in them about this) Chase said if I called them to cancel the hotel they would have tried to waive the charge.
Since I transferred my points from chase to Hyatt to book, I would have never thought to call Chase about the cancellation.
They read me the cancellation policy and nowhere did it say it would refund
my points and charge my credit card for the room. I would like them to keep my 8000 points and refund my 183 dollars.
I guess I have been spoiled with the Starwood Hotel program as they would even refund your points when you had to cancel.

thanks
Gerri

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Didn't the confirmation have a cancellation policy? Can you copy and paste the confirmation information here, removing your identifying information?

This is what the World of Hyatt says:

If I cancel or change my reservation, will I get a refund or credit? Will I have to pay any fees?

Cancellation and deposit policies vary by the hotel and confirmed rate. The policies regarding your specific reservation are provided at the time the reservation is made. They are also provided in online, email, written and faxed confirmations.

Jun 18, 2019
yes it did - here it is, I am used to losing points when I book with Points, I have never had my points returned and been charged on my card

CANCELLATION POLICY:
TO AVOID 1 NIGHT FEE CANCEL 48HRS PRIOR TO CHECKIN TIME​
Effective January 1, 2018, reservations confirmed or changed by World of Hyatt Explorist or Globalist members can be cancelled up to 24 hours before the hotel check-in time when the hotel's cancellation period stated above is not more than 48 hours. This 24-hour cancellation period benefit is not valid for stays at Hyatt Residence Club or Miraval resorts. It also does not apply: (i) to prepaid or non-refundable rates; (ii) when the cancellation period stated above is more than 48 hours; or (iii) for reservations booked at corporate negotiated or group contract rates. This benefit is based on a member's tier status at the time of cancellation. The hotel check-in time is stated above, and the cancellation windows are based on the hotel's local time.
Changes to the dates of stay, number of guests per room or number of rooms confirmed will be subject to current pricing which may be different than previously confirmed rates. Taxes and fees are subject to change based on dates of stay and local jurisdiction.

Earning World of Hyatt points and tier credit is subject to World of Hyatt complete Terms and Conditions.​

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
yes it did - here it is, I am used to losing points when I book with Points, I have never had my points returned and been charged on my card

CANCELLATION POLICY:
TO AVOID 1 NIGHT FEE CANCEL 48HRS PRIOR TO CHECKIN TIME​

Effective January 1, 2018, reservations confirmed or changed by World of Hyatt Explorist or Globalist members can be cancelled up to 24 hours before the hotel check-in time when the hotel's cancellation period stated above is not more than 48 hours. This 24-hour cancellation period benefit is not valid for stays at Hyatt Residence Club or Miraval resorts. It also does not apply: (i) to prepaid or non-refundable rates; (ii) when the cancellation period stated above is more than 48 hours; or (iii) for reservations booked at corporate negotiated or group contract rates. This benefit is based on a member's tier status at the time of cancellation. The hotel check-in time is stated above, and the cancellation windows are based on the hotel's local time.
Changes to the dates of stay, number of guests per room or number of rooms confirmed will be subject to current pricing which may be different than previously confirmed rates. Taxes and fees are subject to change based on dates of stay and local jurisdiction.

Earning World of Hyatt points and tier credit is subject to World of Hyatt complete Terms and Conditions.​
The Terms and Conditions do state that your credit card will be charged if you don't cancel within the correct time frame to avoid a cancellation penalty:

Award Reservations are subject to the cancellation policy of the applicable hotel or resort. These policies vary by hotel and resort and each hotel’s and resort’s cancellation policy can be found on the page for that hotel or resort within hyatt.com (or miraval.com, as applicable), by calling the hotel or resort directly, or by contacting a Hyatt Global Contact Center. (Please see hyatt.com for contact information.) If a Member cancels an Award Reservation in compliance with the applicable hotel’s or resort’s cancellation policy, any corresponding points that have been deducted from the Member’s account will be returned to the account within approximately three (3) days of the cancellation. If a Member does not follow the proper cancellation policy for the applicable hotel or resort or if a Member does not check into the hotel or resort when scheduled, the credit card provided with the Award Reservation will be charged in accordance with the hotel’s or resort’s cancellation or no-show policy and any points redeemed for the applicable Award Reservation will be returned to the Member’s account.

https://help.hyatt.com/en/hyatt-terms/world-of-hyatt-terms.html

Jun 18, 2019
I also would like to know where they came up with that Rate of 183 as well. If I cashed in 8000 points with Chase , I would get like 87 in cash back.

Jun 18, 2019
Have you checked the Terms and Conditions at World of Hyatt to see if it addresses this?
I called Hyatt Customer Service and they said that is that hotel's policy. I called my Chase Travel card to help me. They read me the cancellation rules and I confirmed with Chase the cancellation does not state it will return your points and charge your credit card in the policy.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The rate should be what the hotel would have charged someone making a reservation the same day. SInce we don't know the hotel, we can't verify rates but it is also based on dates - often rates are higher on weekends than weekdays.

Jun 18, 2019
The rate should be what the hotel would have charged someone making a reservation the same day. SInce we don't know the hotel, we can't verify rates but it is also based on dates - often rates are higher on weekends than weekdays.
I called Hyatt Customer Service and they said that is that hotel's policy. I called my Chase Travel card to help me. They read me the cancellation rules and I confirmed with Chase the cancellation does not state it will return your points and charge your credit card in the policy.
I hope this helps other people, I have never had to look up the cancellation policy for the specific hotel that I would be staying at, and
I have never had my points returned and my card charged, but then again, I am new to using Hyatt, and probably will not continue to do so after this incident.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hi,
I booked two separate Hyatt Hotel stays using my points at the Heathrow London Airport Hotel. I was unable to use my night June 11th
2019 as I missed my flight from Italy back to London. I canceled the room at 6am via the website and was fully prepared to lose my points.
What I was not expecting was my credit card to be charged 183 dollars for the missed stay. I called my chase travel card and was told that that
hotel's cancellation policy was to refund the points and charge cash for a missed stay. This was not indicated anywhere in the cancelation policy.
Chase Travel would not help me (I am disappointed in them about this) Chase said if I called them to cancel the hotel they would have tried to waive the charge.
Since I transferred my points from chase to Hyatt to book, I would have never thought to call Chase about the cancellation.
They read me the cancellation policy and nowhere did it say it would refund
my points and charge my credit card for the room. I would like them to keep my 8000 points and refund my 183 dollars.
I guess I have been spoiled with the Starwood Hotel program as they would even refund your points when you had to cancel.

thanks
Gerri
From the Hyatt website
"Cancellation Policy
48hours Prior To Checkin To Avoid One Night Fee"
Most hotels require 48 hours notice for a free cancelation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I hope this helps other people, I have never had to look up the cancellation policy for the specific hotel that I would be staying at, and
I have never had my points returned and my card charged, but then again, I am new to using Hyatt, and probably will not continue to do so after this incident.
Those terms and conditions are important to read but I will tell you if it were me, I would probably been as surprised as you were. However, I understand why the hotel does this - they can't get reimbursed for you not checking in with points - it does not do the hotel any good being paid for the night.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Those terms and conditions are important to read but I will tell you if it were me, I would probably been as surprised as you were. However, I understand why the hotel does this - they can't get reimbursed for you not checking in with points - it does not do the hotel any good being paid for the night.
I think she understand this but assumed that the points would be used for the penalty. Unfortunately, a hotel can't be reimbursed for an unused room with points - they need to be repaid monetarily.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
BTW - Marriott also has the exact same policy about canceling when you used points - they also will charge your credit card. I think almost every point program does the same thing as the hotel doesn't get paid for the empty room with points.

If a Member fails to cancel a guaranteed Award Redemption Stay reservation within the permitted cancellation period, the Participating Property will charge the applicable cancellation fee to the credit card provided by the Member at the time the reservation was made and the Points that were redeemed will be re-deposited into the Member’s Account.