Hurtigruten... Misleading on accommodations, but steadfast on pricing!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
From your description it appears this is the cabin you booked

View attachment 2074

Was this what your cabin was like? I have no experience with this line but believe it’s a little more spartan than some of the more popular lines.
That looks like the pullout bed on top of the couch.

While the picture may “look” spacious, you know they are always taken at an angle that makes it look big. Have you ever gone to the taping of a television show? I’ve gone to a few with my wife and the sets look huge on tv but when you get to the studio- they are tiny.

You must look at the square footage. And we don’t know what ship he was on either- there can be variances in different ships.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
Neil, from their website it's a mini suite and includes this...

Q Mini suite 16–23 m2 One room with double bed, TV, minibar, kettle.

That's about 172 to 247 square feet. Not too bad.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Neil, from their website it's a mini suite and includes this...

Q Mini suite 16–23 m2 One room with double bed, TV, minibar, kettle.

That's about 172 to 247 square feet. Not too bad.
That’s a HUGE variance in size. 172 feet is NOT a Mini suite size on regular ships - that’s in inside cabin size. But it may be spacious vs. other cabins on the ship.

Hurtigruten is not a luxury line- these ships are expedition ships and more like cargo ships than cruise ships. This probably wasn’t the cruise line for the OP. These ships are made to withstand extremely cold and possibly ice conditions. They aren’t anything like any other cruise line.

If there was a kettle- then they could make coffee.

If he paid for a Q4 and was in a Q4 (and with the pull down it sounds like it) there is nothing he could do, the time to look at pictures and descriptions (and price) is before you book. The agent is the one at fault if he or she didn’t disclose this to OP at booking time. It’s not Hurtigruten.

These are the deck plans and that cabin is a Q4. And in comparison, it is spacious - the cabin next to it is maxed out at 148 sq Ft. I also don’t see porthole windows on that deck on the ship- I see smaller rectangular windows on the lowest level of the ship

It sounds like our OP didn’t really understand the type of line Hurtigruten has. If you have online access you really need to go to the website a look at deck plans and make sure you know what spacious is. The Q4 is spacious on the ship. The only thing bigger are the balcony suites and that seems more like what might have been expected.

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018
That’s a HUGE variance in size. 172 feet is NOT a Mini suite size on regular ships - that’s in inside cabin size. But it may be spacious vs. other cabins on the ship.

Hurtigruten is not a luxury line- these ships are expedition ships and more like cargo ships than cruise ships. This probably wasn’t the cruise line for the OP. These ships are made to withstand extremely cold and possibly ice conditions. They aren’t anything like any other cruise line.

If there was a kettle- then they could make coffee.

If he paid for a Q4 and was in a Q4 (and with the pull down it sounds like it) there is nothing he could do, the time to look at pictures and descriptions (and price) is before you book. The agent is the one at fault if he or she didn’t disclose this to OP at booking time. It’s not Hurtigruten.

These are the deck plans and that cabin is a Q4. And in comparison, it is spacious - the cabin next to it is maxed out at 148 sq Ft. I also don’t see porthole windows on that deck on the ship- I see smaller rectangular windows on the lowest level of the ship

It sounds like our OP didn’t really understand the type of line Hurtigruten has. If you have online access you really need to go to the website a look at deck plans and make sure you know what spacious is. The Q4 is spacious on the ship. The only thing bigger are the balcony suites and that seems more like what might have been expected.
THANK YOU for your response.

Window size and view , not cabin space was our sole concern during original discussions with Hurtigruten. Our "beef" is that their standard cabin have significantly more window spacing and access than this suite for much less the costs. We didn't care about the square footage, we wanted views! Undoubtedly, the commissions were the basis for the mini-suite being promoted. We knew Hurtigruten was a working cruise line, but we were assured this would more than accommodate our sight line requirements.

Dec 5, 2018
That looks like the pullout bed on top of the couch.

While the picture may “look” spacious, you know they are always taken at an angle that makes it look big. Have you ever gone to the taping of a television show? I’ve gone to a few with my wife and the sets look huge on tv but when you get to the studio- they are tiny.

You must look at the square footage. And we don’t know what ship he was on either- there can be variances in different ships.

Our primary concern was window sizing and sight lines, not the square footage of the cabin. We were assured by Hurtigruten that the mini-suite maximized window area and its access. We took them at their word that the MS Spitsbergen was recently remodeled and the one for us! You are correct, and we know in hindsight, we should have asked for the area of the windows... it would have been measured (US) in square inches!!

Dec 5, 2018
I'm so sorry that you anniversary cruise was a disappointment. If I am reading the posts correctly, you booked a mini suite (of which there are only three on the ship) on the advice of Cruise Norway assuring you it would fit your wishes. The bunks you refer to are a single sleeper sofa bed and a pull down upper berth. If there were just the two of you, then the berth could stay in the wall and the sofa bed would remain a sofa at all times. The brochure does not mention what type of window, although the higher-priced full suites have a balcony with what appears to be full length sliding glass doors.

Hurtigruten did nothing wrong here. The fault lies equally with the travel agent and the cruiser. Cruise Norway does not appear to have given any service except to book the cruise. They did not manage your expectations, nor explain the unique product that is an expedition cruise. You might have been better off with a more traditional cruise line that offers hundreds of balcony staterooms with full views of the ocean from glass walled balconies.

Did you meet with the Cruise Norway agent in person? Or is Cruise Norway online only?

On your part, you should have searched online for reviews and photos of the ship. You might have even found a photo of the exact stateroom. You should have done this before depositing any money, as Hurtigruten has a 20% penalty for cancellations. You should have also verified the promised 25% discount. Did you review your pricing immediately and before depositing? Every cruise line sends out a client copy and that should have been forwarded to you when Cruise Norway held the stateroom. You could have then seen the pricing and researched the room.

Hurtigruten does not owe you a refund, unless you were not assigned the exact stateroom category you booked through Cruise Norway. You could try to squeeze some money from Cruise Norway for their lack of service and bad advice, but that will be an uphill battle.
We are very sorry... but more disappointed. We place the misleading information on Cruise Norway personnel. First we thought they WERE Hurtigruten. In our phone discussions with them, they represented they were Hurtigruten and we accepted all their explanations as truthful and accurate. Shouldn't Hurtigruten have theresponsibility to assure their agents are TRUTHFUL and ACCURATE?

As far as the cost is concerned, we were accepting of the price as long as the requirements were met. $4135 pp less the 25% discount ($3099) was OK until we saw the inferior product (aka window size) and then compared it to other cabins with more window space and accessibility. We would have left the ship immediately and booked another cruise, had Hurtigruten been willing to refund our money... we had not left port yet!

Although it would help with the sting of disappointment, reimbursement is not primary. HOPEFULLY it is NEVER too late to warn their prospective customers to learn from our experience and expense, by knowing that Hurtigruten will prey on the unsuspecting and inexperienced to enhance their bottom line. I'm not convinced that any business should condone that philosophy and encourage their personnel (or agents) to do so...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately at this point, you should take it as lesson learned about these type of ships. You have to be proactive- you have internet access and should have gone online and looked at the information and deck plans on the ship. You can see the windows on the pictures of the ship. These type of ships aren’t luxurious or big and unless you are booking a balcony cabin the windows are small. The cabin you got is larger but it’s also below deck. Why didn’t you book a balcony cabin? Those are higher and really what it sounds like you wanted.

We sell Hurtigruten and Hurtigruten is only responsible for delivering their product. They are not responsible for what I as a travel agent tell you nor what Cruise Norway tells you. It sounds like you got an order taker, not an advisor who would have told you what these ships have and don’t have. As I said before- these aren’t typical cruise ships, they are expedition ships and more like a cargo ship than a cruise ship.

I don’t believe we have contacts for Cruise Norway. I suggest you see if our researchers can find contacts and you can take it up with higher ups there.

If you complete this form, we’ll see if we can get the contacts you need.

https://www.elliott.org/research/

Dec 5, 2018
Unfortunately at this point, you should take it as lesson learned about these type of ships. You have to be proactive- you have internet access and should have gone online and looked at the information and deck plans on the ship. You can see the windows on the pictures of the ship. These type of ships aren’t luxurious or big and unless you are booking a balcony cabin the windows are small. The cabin you got is larger but it’s also below deck. Why didn’t you book a balcony cabin? Those are higher and really what it sounds like you wanted.

We sell Hurtigruten and Hurtigruten is only responsible for delivering their product. They are not responsible for what I as a travel agent tell you nor what Cruise Norway tells you. It sounds like you got an order taker, not an advisor who would have told you what these ships have and don’t have. As I said before- these aren’t typical cruise ships, they are expedition ships and more like a cargo ship than a cruise ship.

I don’t believe we have contacts for Cruise Norway. I suggest you see if our researchers can find contacts and you can take it up with higher ups there.

If you complete this form, we’ll see if we can get the contacts you need.

https://www.elliott.org/research/
Again, THANK YOU for your time and response. I have filled out the form for additional information on Hurtigruten and Cruise Norway. At least I may get a listening ear to register my complaint towards their agent, Cruise Norway. The other suites were incredibly expensive and we were lead to believe this had our requested features with the exception of ship location. A disappointing, expensive lesson learned.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I’m sorry that the agent was so poor. They should have explained the experience you would have on Hurtigruten- that’s where they failed.

You should never be surprised when you get to your vacation. A booking agent just books what you tell them. An advisor questions you and explains what you are getting and that there might be another way for you to tour to see what you want to see that is more in line with your expectations.

Why you paid more than the brochure price is a total mystery unless you booked when it was almost sold out.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
From what little research I've done Cruise Norway is located in Norway.

CRUISE NORWAY AS, Vestre Torggate 1, 5015 Bergen, Norway

+47 55 31 80 21

post@cruise-norway.no

facebook

Which of the agents did you book through?

Agents
Name
Email
Phone
Website

Cruise Geiranger
idar@m-corp.no
+47 91 68 27 27
Cruise Geiranger

DMC Norway
DMC@DMCNorway.no
+47 47 61 13 13
DMC Norway

European Cruise Service
oper@europeancruise.no
+47 55 90 07 80
European Cruise Service

GAC Norway
Cruise.norway@gac.coom
+47 928 93 795
GAC Norway

Geiranger Cruise Handling
post@geiranger-nordfjord.no
+47 57 87 74 73
Geiranger Cruise Handling

Geiranger Fjordservice
booking@geirangerfjord.no
+47 70 26 30 07
Geiranger Fjordservice

Nordic Cruise Services
norway@nordiccruise.no
+47 22 83 50 55
Nordic Cruise Services

Nordic Gateway
kim.andre.angeltveit@nordicgateway.no
+47 46 97 41 40
Nordic Gateway

SDK CRUISE
cruise.no@sdkshipping.com
+47 55 31 03 00
SDK CRUISE

Spitsbergen Travel
info@spitsbergentravel.no
+47 79 02 61 00
Spitsbergen Travel

And a little bit about the company...

Cruise Norway is a marketing company owned by Norwegian cruise ports, destination companies, attractions and suppliers to the incoming cruise industry in Norway. Established in 1992, Cruise Norway serves as a B2B cruise network and marketing organ for all major Norwegian cruise ports including Svalbard. Cruise Norway only works B2B and our main objective is to market Norway as the world's most popular nature based cruise destination.

Managing director is
Inge Tangerås
Generic email address is post@cruise-norway.no

But in further research there may be another company based in New York, NY. But when looking at the employees, 3 listed are based in Norway and only one is listed in New York.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
So this thread has gone 'round and 'round and the consensus seems to be that most of the issues are subject to interpretation. However, the window size was flat-out deficient. Who in their right mind would book a small ship cruise when you can't see what you're cruising through? That's fine for people who want a budget trip, they pay far less and spend their time in the lounges and observation decks. I think yours is a totally valid complaint and I urge you to contact the agent you used first, then the company itself. A tiny window on a small ship is a major problem. I do hope you will contact a REAL travel agent, a cruise expert, next time you are planning one. Using the "captive agents" often seems to lead to dissatisfaction. In your case, the agent just plain misrepresented what he sold you. The company should not allow their clients to be abused like this.

I subscribe to a magazine, International Travel News, which consists mostly of articles written by readers. You could definitely get the word out through ITN about Hurti-whatever name they're using these days.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
So this thread has gone 'round and 'round and the consensus seems to be that most of the issues are subject to interpretation. However, the window size was flat-out deficient. Who in their right mind would book a small ship cruise when you can't see what you're cruising through? That's fine for people who want a budget trip, they pay far less and spend their time in the lounges and observation decks. I think yours is a totally valid complaint and I urge you to contact the agent you used first, then the company itself. A tiny window on a small ship is a major problem. I do hope you will contact a REAL travel agent, a cruise expert, next time you are planning one. Using the "captive agents" often seems to lead to dissatisfaction. In your case, the agent just plain misrepresented what he sold you. The company should not allow their clients to be abused like this.

I subscribe to a magazine, International Travel News, which consists mostly of articles written by readers. You could definitely get the word out through ITN about Hurti-whatever name they're using these days.
The expedition ships are meant for people to be outside on the decks viewing what they are sailing through, not from your cabin. The cabins our OP chose are below deck- even on a fancy river cruise, the cabins below deck have portholes. You can’t have large windows in case of high waves and water levels.

If you want to view nature from your cabin, you have to book a cabin that is higher up in the ship. On the expedition ships, those are balcony cabins and the OP couldn’t afford or didn’t want to pay more then he already did.

All it takes is to look at a picture of the ship- you can see the cabin he booked had a small window. Again- it’s bring proactive and either using a brochure for the cruise line and deck plans or going to the cruise lines website and looking at deck plans and pictures of the ship.

In 17 years we have never had a client that didn’t go online with us and pick out their cabin or go to the cruise lines website and look at the cabin.

I still see this as our OP had expectations of a cabin that are just not available on a Hurtigruten cruise.

Jan 30, 2018
"Hurti-whatever name they're using these days" is Hurtigruten and they have been in business since 1893. I would not slam them because the OP did not do their homework, using a US travel agent and checking out the line and its ships online.

I read ITN too, and I think their readers are experienced travelers who know what to expect on an expedition ship. Or at least know to check things out before booking.

Sep 19, 2015
I am not a cruise person so have no experience with them.

I think this post shows the importance of a first time cruiser hiring an experienced travel agent.

As a non cruiser I would not think to ask about the below deck cabin and window issue but what Neil has explained makes sense, about smaller portholes and waves.

I hope the OP was able to enjoy the Norwegian landscape despite the window issue.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The expedition ships are meant for people to be outside on the decks viewing what they are sailing through, not from your cabin. The cabins our OP chose are below deck- even on a fancy river cruise, the cabins below deck have portholes. You can’t have large windows in case of high waves and water levels.

If you want to view nature from your cabin, you have to book a cabin that is higher up in the ship. On the expedition ships, those are balcony cabins and the OP couldn’t afford or didn’t want to pay more then he already did.

All it takes is to look at a picture of the ship- you can see the cabin he booked had a small window. Again- it’s bring proactive and either using a brochure for the cruise line and deck plans or going to the cruise lines website and looking at deck plans and pictures of the ship.

In 17 years we have never had a client that didn’t go online with us and pick out their cabin or go to the cruise lines website and look at the cabin.

I still see this as our OP had expectations of a cabin that are just not available on a Hurtigruten cruise.
Perhaps I misunderstood the actual size of the window in our OP's cabin. I guess that I couldn't imagine anyone booking a cruise without looking at photos of the cabins and deck plans. It is sad how many people don't know what they don't know.

I meant no disrespect for Hurtigruten, LDV; I remember when they recently changed their name ... it used to be an easy to spell and pronounce name, but they changed it to Hurtigruten for some reason. I was just too lazy to go find out how to spell it when I wrote that response. I love small ships and Hurtigruetin is on my list to check out one of these days.