Hurtigruten... Misleading on accommodations, but steadfast on pricing!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 5, 2018
Hurtigruten's US agent, Cruise Norway, mislead us on our cabin accommodations and the cost of the cruise. Meeting(s) with the ship's Hotel Manager and Reception Manager, we requested to be moved to a cabin with promised features.... OR to be transfer to another Hurtigruten ship with promised accommodations... OR exchange cabins with passenger needing suite accommodations... OR immediately leave the ship with full refund. Hurtigruten ship personnel and their US booking agent, Cruise Norway simply "finger pointed"at each other! They did agree on one thing..."if we left the ship, there would be NO refund". We felt obliged to stayed...feeling like prisoners!
We had booked the Norway coastline cruise 16 months in advance with the inducement of a 25% discount. After, we realized were charged several thousand dollars in excess of their posted brochure pricing. We have requested refund that reflects comparable cabin accommodations and pricing...all to fall on deaf ears.

We welcome your suggestions and whether this is a Hurtigruten situation by "accident or design"!

Mar 23, 2015
The confirmation you received 16 months ago upon booking should have indicated your pricing. Was this brought to their attention at that time? Were there "fine print" terms and conditions of what you thought you booked, that perhaps you didn't comply with?

Dec 27, 2014
NoVA
It sounds like you didn't dispute pricing until after you were already at the port. That is never the best time to do this. Pricing should be researched prior to booking.

Did you use a travel agent? What category did you book, what cost, and what date did you purchase it? Then, when did you determine that there was a different posted price for the room? What cabin class were you physically put in? As others have said, pricing on all cruise lines can drop near the ship date in order for the cruise lines to attempt to sellout open cabins. That doesn't entitle those that booked further in advance any kind of refund or other concessions.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It sounds like you didn't dispute pricing until after you were already at the port. That is never the best time to do this. Pricing should be researched prior to booking.

Did you use a travel agent? What category did you book, what cost, and what date did you purchase it? Then, when did you determine that there was a different posted price for the room? What cabin class were you physically put in? As others have said, pricing on all cruise lines can drop near the ship date in order for the cruise lines to attempt to sellout open cabins. That doesn't entitle those that booked further in advance any kind of refund or other concessions.
He said he booked through Cruise Norway -not sure if he did it himself or used a travel agent. But if OP agreed to the price by making his deposit and paying final payment - there is nothing he can do if he found out others paid less. This happens with airline tickets and cruises - booking at different times gets different prices. Very rarely do two people pay the same price on a cruise or for an airplane ticket.

His only issue is if he did not get the room he booked. Then they owe him the difference in price of the cabins - not a free cruise or a full refund.

OP, we have company contacts for Hurtigruten and if you booked on your own and not through a travel agent, you should request the difference in price at the time you booked vs. the cabin they gave you.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
We can do a much better job of advising you if we know what happened. In travel, the devil's in the details. Please start at the top and describe the details of your situation so we may advise you.

Dec 5, 2018
What was it you were promised that you did not receive? Did you not check the brochure pricing before booking?
We had two "must'... (1) a spacious cabin with large window(s) and full, unobstructed views assuring that it would be conducive for scenery watching from either the bed or couch and (2) in-room coffee! We were assured these were easily accommodated. We received the in-room coffee!! But our port window was the smallest of the ship and accessible only by squeezing along side the bed, leaning outward across the extensive sill of the window (port). Although the room was spacious it was intended for a family bunkhouse as it had two fold out beds. I wouldn't consider it a suite and definitely not what was discussed or promised! Not exactly the ambience for a 45th wedding anniversary!

Early in2017, were in the initial stages of planning our 45th wedding anniversary and my "Norwegian Heritage Tour" . We wanted to cruise coastal Norway and saw an article that Hurtigruten was offering a 25% discount. Even though it was for 2017 cruise, they indicated we could apply it for ones in 2018. We did not receive the brochure until significantly later in the process. TRUSTING what the agent had assured and promised, I was satisfied and pleased...that is, until we saw the room. SHOCK was the reaction! It was only then that I delved further into other cabin accommodations and their costs.

Simply, Hurtigruten mislead on the accommodations and pricing!

Dec 5, 2018
What was it you were promised that you did not receive? Did you not check the brochure pricing before booking?
We were promised a mini-suite with "Living area and large window (full ocean view)". The price was $3799 pp. Had our cabin had a "large window with full ocean view" accessible from bed and/or couch, I would have no contentions. The cabin was a bunkhouse, not a suite! The brochure arrived much later and I felt I had no reason not to trust what the agent had promised. In hindsight, I erred in TRUSTING!

Dec 5, 2018
Cruise lines change prices all the time, especially if a ship is not selling. The time to do your homework was before you booked if the pricing was higher than the brochure price.

What cabin accommodation did you book and what did you get?
We were told that suite Q4 - 402 perfectly fit our criteria. Q4 - 402 to be a family bunkhouse with fold out beds... and ONE TINY PORT WINDOW! I was sabotage by my own inexperience and trust. However; because physically looking at the ship and selecting a desired cabin was not remotely possible, one has to have confidence that the Hurtigruten personnel will accurately match their product with the consumer's demands. Immediately upon seeing Hurtigruten's "product" first hand, we tried to return it!!

Dec 5, 2018
The confirmation you received 16 months ago upon booking should have indicated your pricing. Was this brought to their attention at that time? Were there "fine print" terms and conditions of what you thought you booked, that perhaps you didn't comply with?
I am not aware of any "fine print" that we did not comply with. If we received the accommodations promised, there would be no pricing issues either. It was only after seeing our suite had significantly lesser features than those of lower priced cabins, that price also became an issue.

The ship's Hotel Manager and Reception Manager seemed to be sympathetic to our frustration. They indicated that this ship was at capacity and those following were also, so that leaving this ship and getting proper accommodations on another Hurtigruten cruise was not possible. If we left the ship altogether and took another cruise line, out fees would not be refunded.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The question is what was the cabin category that you booked and what did you receive? There can be different locations of cabins in the same category but if you received a lower category, thats the info we need. What ship were you on? We can see the price difference if you say you had two different categories.

Nov 21, 2014
From your description it appears this is the cabin you booked

View attachment 2074

Was this what your cabin was like? I have no experience with this line but believe it’s a little more spartan than some of the more popular lines.
Generally all lines will state the “Images are a general representation and some cabins may be configured differently” on the deck plan it usually has astricks indicating cabins that have unique or different characteristics. Would like to know if they booked a Guarantee Catagory or??? Makes a difference and yes you can choose a specific cabin and just like with the airline get “Bumped” out. You have to watch your cabin just like keeping an eye on your seat in an airplane. You can also mark it “No Upgrades” because some upgrades aren’t really upgrades.
Any of these things could have happened to our Poster.

Jan 30, 2018
That actually looks like a large cabin if you figure with the bed and sofa and space in between it is at least 15 feet long. I don't think they would guarantee that you can see out the window from the bed or couch.

Jul 13, 2016
I'm so sorry that you anniversary cruise was a disappointment. If I am reading the posts correctly, you booked a mini suite (of which there are only three on the ship) on the advice of Cruise Norway assuring you it would fit your wishes. The bunks you refer to are a single sleeper sofa bed and a pull down upper berth. If there were just the two of you, then the berth could stay in the wall and the sofa bed would remain a sofa at all times. The brochure does not mention what type of window, although the higher-priced full suites have a balcony with what appears to be full length sliding glass doors.

Hurtigruten did nothing wrong here. The fault lies equally with the travel agent and the cruiser. Cruise Norway does not appear to have given any service except to book the cruise. They did not manage your expectations, nor explain the unique product that is an expedition cruise. You might have been better off with a more traditional cruise line that offers hundreds of balcony staterooms with full views of the ocean from glass walled balconies.

Did you meet with the Cruise Norway agent in person? Or is Cruise Norway online only?

On your part, you should have searched online for reviews and photos of the ship. You might have even found a photo of the exact stateroom. You should have done this before depositing any money, as Hurtigruten has a 20% penalty for cancellations. You should have also verified the promised 25% discount. Did you review your pricing immediately and before depositing? Every cruise line sends out a client copy and that should have been forwarded to you when Cruise Norway held the stateroom. You could have then seen the pricing and researched the room.

Hurtigruten does not owe you a refund, unless you were not assigned the exact stateroom category you booked through Cruise Norway. You could try to squeeze some money from Cruise Norway for their lack of service and bad advice, but that will be an uphill battle.

Nov 21, 2014
For an Ocean View Cabin this picture certainly reflects a spacious cabin. Ocean View actually means you can stand at the window and look out and see the ocean. In this cabin pictured it would appear you can.

B3491B2A-4F22-4851-9ABA-C99D91D1E4AF.jpeg

Is this the ship? It does not say mini suite so I can’t be sure.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I completely understand your frustration ... when it comes to the size of the window. The rest of it is a situation of you not doing the research, booking without any facts, trusting a company to give you exactly what you envisioned. They brought you a coffee maker ... which is usually not allowed in a cabin (they worry about fire). The term "suite" is so mis-used in the travel business now ... it generally means a room large enough for a small couch.

But the window ... it would be very difficult to accept a small, difficult to access porthole when you asked for and were promised a large window. That would have ruined my cruise too. If the pictures my colleagues are pulling up from their brochure are not photos of your cabin, you have a legitimate complaint. Please let us know and we can advise you on the next steps.