Hurricane Message on Insure My Trip

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 18, 2015
Hi-

I'm shopping for insurance on Insure My Trip for a mid-November trip. This message appears at the top of their website:

"Attention Travelers Seeking Coverage for Hurricane Irma, Tropical Storm Jose and Tropical Storm Katia:
Your only option for trip cancellation coverage is a plan with Cancel for Any Reason coverage, if you’re eligible. Please use the filter “Cancel for Any Reason” on the left and review the eligibility requirements to find the best plan for your trip."

Does this mean for people buying insurance now for somewhere in the path of these storms? If I'm buying for November when there are no known storms, won't I be covered for trip cancellation if there is a storm then? Cancel for Any Reason really increases the cost and I only need the coverage that comes with the regular travel insurance. Thank you

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Your best bet is to call and ask an agent. Hurricane season ends November 30th so they may be altering all new policies due to the high volume of named hurricanes that are happening this season.

Hi-

I'm shopping for insurance on Insure My Trip for a mid-November trip. This message appears at the top of their website:

"Attention Travelers Seeking Coverage for Hurricane Irma, Tropical Storm Jose and Tropical Storm Katia:
Your only option for trip cancellation coverage is a plan with Cancel for Any Reason coverage, if you’re eligible. Please use the filter “Cancel for Any Reason” on the left and review the eligibility requirements to find the best plan for your trip."

Does this mean for people buying insurance now for somewhere in the path of these storms? If I'm buying for November when there are no known storms, won't I be covered for trip cancellation if there is a storm then? Cancel for Any Reason really increases the cost and I only need the coverage that comes with the regular travel insurance. Thank you
You should have coverage unless by some miracle either Hurricane Irma, Katia or Jose are still active storms when you travel in November. The headline itself answers your question. Are you seeking coverage for any of those 3 named hurricanes? It would appear you are not based on your travel dates.

Jul 27, 2016
Given the known risks over the next few weeks, it sounds like their choice was to either exclude those hurricanes from new policies or dramatically increase their rates. They chose the former.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I agree with @Patina. Common sense says your November trip would not fall under this announcement, but always best to verify that ... common sense in the insurance biz is often lacking.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
No. What this means is you cannot buy travel insurance to cover the hurricane once it is already a storm.

This shouldnt affect insurance for a trip in November but in this case I would advise you to call the insurance company if you are traveling to an island that was affected because if the island isn't back up and running
soon they may find a reason not to cover you.

If you remember when the Iceland volcano blew a few years back, it interrupted travel throughout Europe. People who had bought travel insurance before the event had coverage to cancel. People that wanted to buy at that time could not buy to cover.

You must purchase insurance before a storm is on the horizon to be coveted for a hurricane or any type of weather incident. Once it happens it too late.

This is going to be MASSIVE for the travel insurance companies for all the islands and US affected by this storm if airlines and hotels imt waive cancellation fees.

Buy insurance early.