Hurrican Construction still ongoing?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 4, 2019
I have a wedding reception booked at the Caribe Hilton in San Juan for June and was under the impression that the hotel was back to operations. However I received a picture of the hotel property from a friend this week showing there is still a huge amount of work to be done and am concerned it will be the background of our outdoor reception...not the romantic location I pictured. Am wondering if anyone has actually been to the location in the last couple of weeks and can confirm for me as I can't find any information anywhere. Thanks/

Apr 4, 2019
Thank you! The construction date keeps getting pushed out. I'm nervous. We have 10 rooms booked along with a wedding reception outdoors, that will be difficult to relocate at the last minute with reasonable prices. We're getting married early at El Morro and then supposed to have outdoor wedding breakfast.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Carol, I think you should make a Plan B. There might be another area of the hotel that is suitable for your breakfast/reception that could be decorated properly to provide a lovely background. I would not count on any construction being finished ... it may be, but you literally won't know until the last minute. Or perhaps there's another Hilton property on the island that is up and running already? They might work with you on a venue change. If you don't have someone on the ground to keep an eye on the hotel, I'd fly down and have a look myself ... meeting with the hotel professionals to create something that will work. Hopefully Carrie's friend will have good news for you.

You can probably stay up to date on TripAdvisor ... I had booked a new hotel in Savannah a couple of years ago which got finished just in the nick of time. The locals on TA were wonderful keeping me updated so I could cancel my Plan B the week before. Turns out that the hotel was NOT finished ... but they wisely concentrated their efforts on the public spaces and only rented out as many rooms as were ready, so it all turned out just fine. Good luck; I hope things work out well.

Apr 4, 2019
Apr 4, 2019
Carol, I think you should make a Plan B. There might be another area of the hotel that is suitable for your breakfast/reception that could be decorated properly to provide a lovely background. I would not count on any construction being finished ... it may be, but you literally won't know until the last minute. Or perhaps there's another Hilton property on the island that is up and running already? They might work with you on a venue change. If you don't have someone on the ground to keep an eye on the hotel, I'd fly down and have a look myself ... meeting with the hotel professionals to create something that will work. Hopefully Carrie's friend will have good news for you.

You can probably stay up to date on TripAdvisor ... I had booked a new hotel in Savannah a couple of years ago which got finished just in the nick of time. The locals on TA were wonderful keeping me updated so I could cancel my Plan B the week before. Turns out that the hotel was NOT finished ... but they wisely concentrated their efforts on the public spaces and only rented out as many rooms as were ready, so it all turned out just fine. Good luck; I hope things work out well.

That's what I'm afraid of. We chose this hotel because of its connection to my hubby's family history. (His grandad worked out of there in the early days as a tour guide and many family events were held there). Unfortunately I don't have anyone there just friends who come and go occasionally and I am unable to take more time off work. Hopefully Carrie's friend will have a good update!

Thanks for the tip on TripAdvisor. I hadn't considered that. Hopefully the Caribe will be as conscious and focus on the areas that need be.

Thanks.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
@carol2 on Trip Advisor, they have a forums section for different cities. I would post on their forum for San Juan and ask if someone who is currently in San Juan could take a look. There are generally many people who follow the forums for their particular city to provide advice to potential visitors. There may also be someone who has been there recently who may know an answer.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Again - have you contacted the wedding planner at the resort and asked for updated information and status?
Yes, the wedding planner said "everything's fine" which of course expected. The wedding planner will continue to say that until ten minutes before they arrive to find the place a mess.

For what it's worth, Carol ... I dislike negativity, but ... I'm a Hilton Diamond person and have been for many years. Hilton treats me like a queen. I booked this hotel for several nights before a cruise a couple of years ago. I have never seen so many hotel employees so unfriendly, lackadaisical about their jobs and just plain dumb. That's the first time in 25 years of booking Hilton properties that I didn't love everything about my stay. I cancelled the two nights I had booked at the end of the cruise and stayed at the InterContinental. So ... you might want to consider a different property if it's at all possible. Reading TripAdvisor reviews will reflect whether things have improved or not. The Hilton people may or may not give you valid information, but TA people definitely will.

Apr 4, 2019
Yes, the wedding planner said "everything's fine" which of course expected. The wedding planner will continue to say that until ten minutes before they arrive to find the place a mess.

For what it's worth, Carol ... I dislike negativity, but ... I'm a Hilton Diamond person and have been for many years. Hilton treats me like a queen. I booked this hotel for several nights before a cruise a couple of years ago. I have never seen so many hotel employees so unfriendly, lackadaisical about their jobs and just plain dumb. That's the first time in 25 years of booking Hilton properties that I didn't love everything about my stay. I cancelled the two nights I had booked at the end of the cruise and stayed at the InterContinental. So ... you might want to consider a different property if it's at all possible. Reading TripAdvisor reviews will reflect whether things have improved or not. The Hilton people may or may not give you valid information, but TA people definitely will.
Thanks for your reply. That is so disappointing to hear about the Caribe Hilton. I am seriously reconsidering my decision. Unfortunately we have about 40 people flying down who have already purchased tickets and lodging. My hubby has signed on to TA and we will be monitoring that closely. I appreciate everyone telling me about it.

Sep 8, 2018
Many years ago, my wife and I had a short vacation from our jobs on a yacht moored up in South Florida for the winter. We booked a stay at a resort in Cancun through our favorite travel agent in Newport, RI. A couple of weeks before our departure, our travel agent called to say that hurricane damage in Cancun was lagging behind and she suggested we book a new destination. She suggested Jamaica because work there was on target. We chose the Shaw Park Hotel in Ocho Rios. Now, after many return visits to Jamaica (now to Negril), I have yet to return to Mexico except for work-related visits. A big up to travel agents who look after their clients in this manner.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Carol, this is what my wife received back- I hope you think it’s good news:

“The Caribe Hilton will be re-opened in May 1st after an aggressive investment of 150 millions...
Not just a new room, but a new hotel!
As soon as they give me photos, I’ll forward them to you.”

Hopefully by the time of your event in June, any operating kinks that usually happen with new openings will he worked out . But it sounds like your guests may be blown away by the new hotel.

Oct 11, 2018
For what it's worth, I just spoke to someone (a travel writer) who stayed at the El San Juan this weekend. He reported no signs of ongoing construction except for a small area behind the hotel that was still closed off. I know that when the hotel reopened in September, the shopping arcade, restaurants, and some public areas (like the pool) were not ready yet but have opened since then. I hope that helps you with your concerns.