HP "lemon" laptop

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
I purchased a HP laptop (HP Notebook 15) from Costco in November of 2017, and bought the extended 3-year warranty through HP. In September of 2018 the hard drive failed, and I had it replaced through HP. Yesterday the replaced hard drive failed again. Since it is still under warranty I contacted HP consumer support, who said that they can send me a box to have it shipped back to be repaired again. My question is this: is it unreasonable to escalate this issue to have the computer replaced outright, since this will be the 3rd hard drive in 18 months? Should I go through HP with this request, or start with Costco? The only reason I even though of going back to Costco is that in January of this year my partner bought a similar HP laptop from Costco, and the hard drive failed within 3 weeks of purchase. He returned the laptop outright since it was still within the return window for electronics. TIA!

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I purchased a HP laptop (HP Notebook 15) from Costco in November of 2017, and bought the extended 3-year warranty through HP. In September of 2018 the hard drive failed, and I had it replaced through HP. Yesterday the replaced hard drive failed again. Since it is still under warranty I contacted HP consumer support, who said that they can send me a box to have it shipped back to be repaired again. My question is this: is it unreasonable to escalate this issue to have the computer replaced outright, since this will be the 3rd hard drive in 18 months? Should I go through HP with this request, or start with Costco? The only reason I even though of going back to Costco is that in January of this year my partner bought a similar HP laptop from Costco, and the hard drive failed within 3 weeks of purchase. He returned the laptop outright since it was still within the return window for electronics. TIA!
You are within the 2 year Costco concierge period. Call Costco concierge first. They are much more likely to be responsive than HP.
https://www.costco.com/concierge.html

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
BTW you should have gone to Costco with the first failure. The "extended 3-year warranty" you paid HP for actually only gives you one extra year since Costco automatically extends the one-year HP warranty to 2-years. If you buy a computer from Costco you should purchase an additional warranty at the end of the 2-year period.

Thanks!
BTW you should have gone to Costco with the first failure. The "extended 3-year warranty" you paid HP for actually only gives you one extra year since Costco automatically extends the one-year HP warranty to 2-years. If you buy a computer from Costco you should purchase an additional warranty at the end of the 2-year period.
Thanks, I didn't realize that. I am not sure if the paperwork made that clear. I will go back to them now.

Jul 30, 2018
Costco concierge rocks! When my daughter was in college she called them several times for tech support for her computer. They were always super nice and usually resolved the issue with just one call. They even provided support beyond the complimentary 2 years!

Sep 20, 2015
Historically, Costco will bend over backwards to help its customers. They automatically add 1 year of coverage to the existing coverage for tech products like computers. They have a lot of pull with the manufacturers, and are normally willing to take a loss on a single item to keep you as a customer (and remember, they have already made money off of you with your membership fee).

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Thanks!

Thanks, I didn't realize that. I am not sure if the paperwork made that clear. I will go back to them now.
Any problems with a Costco purchase should first be dealt with by Costco. They have some of the best customer services in any business. If they can't help they will suggest other solutions. The paperwork for an individual purchase may not spell out the Costco protections but you can find this info on their web site. The last TV I purchased from Costco did have stickers about the two-year coverage attached to some of the paperwork

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Thanks!

Another thought-you might inquire, if they are going to replace the hard drive again as opposed to replacing the whole computer, if you could pay to upgrade to a solid state disc (SSD). Prices for solid-state discs have declined a lot since you bought your computer in 11/17. The solid-state discs are much faster, use less battery, produce less heat, and are more reliable since they have no moving parts. It is an upgrade worth spending a few $$ on if you can do it.

If they give you a new computer you might wish to replace the hard drive with an SSD yourself; it is a very easy upgrade and worth the cost of ~$100.

You have been very unlucky with 2 hard disc failures; hard discs are generally very reliable and have MTBF (mean time between failure) measured in 100,000+ hours. I have owned dozens of laptops and desktops and have never had a hard disc fail.

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Wow, I am getting a real education about Costco here! Incredibly refreshing to read that a company has great customer service. I know for a fact that HP has little CS. From now on, I'll buy all this stuff through Costco. Thanks to everyone on this thread for the great information.

Jul 30, 2018
Wow, I am getting a real education about Costco here! Incredibly refreshing to read that a company has great customer service. I know for a fact that HP has little CS. From now on, I'll buy all this stuff through Costco. Thanks to everyone on this thread for the great information.
Yes, Costco rocks! Worth every penny of the membership fee. They have an unlimited return policy on just about anything they sell, no matter how long ago you purchased the item. Even more amazing is they have a 90 day return and refund policy on electronics, with * no* restocking fee! The two year complimentary concierge program on electronics extends the manufacturer's warranty and provides tech support.

Sep 26, 2017
I just went through Costco myself with a desktop computer...bought it last year at tax time, had a power surge about a year ago that damaged the computer motherboard, as it turned out. Costco walked me through initial diagnostics over the phone, then arranged to have the computer sent out for repair and returned to me at their expense. My ONLY complaint is that they will insist on going through the diagnostics, even if you already know where the problem lies. Once I got past that point, they were very good about making sure to follow up with me every couple of days if not more frequently to let me know what was going on and when I could expect it back. I would definitely buy from them again.