How to set browsing preferences

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 26, 2014
I've now finally gotten into the habit of scrolling down to uncheck the boxes for watching a thread and getting emails notifying me about responses when I post a new message like this one. This option does not show up when I post a reply or other message in an existing thread. To make matters worse, the new message is stored with these two options turned off. Since I'd rather not get replies in most cases (especially if the topic gradually strays off what interested me to post in the first place, as happened in a Disney Cruise thread), I'd like a user friendly, right in front of me way of turning these off right away. I've found two hard-to-find, non-intuitive ways of turning these off after the fact (which also work when I forget to turn them off for a new message.)

Thanks for your consideration of this suggestion.

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
Hi rs,

Well, that sounds like a pain in the butt. When I go to a new forum or thread, "Unwatched" is the default setting. I don't get any alerts or notifications unless I change the settings to "Watch forum (or thread)." I'm sorry it isn't the same for you.

As soon as I post this, I'm going to copy Chris. We'll see if we can get something done about that, and one of us will get back to you.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

Grant

Grant Ritchie

Oct 1, 2014
Hi rs,

I just received the response below from Chris. I haven't tried it yet (didn't even know it existed), so if you have any trouble, let me know and we'll get it figured out.

Grant

You can change that under your own preferences by clicking on your name on the right side. Just undo the "automatically watch threads" option.

Dec 26, 2014
Hi rs,

I just received the response below from Chris.

You can change that under your own preferences by clicking on your name on the right side. Just undo the "automatically watch threads" option.
It looks like a step is missing. When I click on my name, a pop-up menu appears, "Automatically watch threads" is not one of several options that are presented. Which of these several options will bring me to where I can uncheck automatically watch threads?

Thanks for the help so far.

Grant Ritchie

Oct 1, 2014
Hi,

I think figured it out. On my page, my name appears in three places... two of them on the right side. When I clicked the uppermost one, a menu with 18 options dropped down. Clicking "Preferences" (not "Alert Preferences") took me to the same page that Chris showed in his post.

Give it a try. If it doesn't work, let me know and we'll try to figure something else out.

Grant

Jan 6, 2015
When logged in, mouse over your name (upper right of screen and select preferences.

Also good to select Alert Preferences and set options there.

Grant Ritchie

Oct 1, 2014
It looks like a step is missing. When I click on my name, a pop-up menu appears, "Automatically watch threads" is not one of several options that are presented. Which of these several options will bring me to where I can uncheck automatically watch threads?

Thanks for the help so far.
Hi RS,

I'm going through the forums and deleting old threads. Can I delete this one? Has the question you asked been answered to your satisfaction?

Grant

Jan 8, 2015
Grant, I'm glad you replied to this thread because I get email after email after mail that I did not want to keep getting. Showed up on the new posts and the suggestions worked perfect. Was able to go and uncheck the send email box.

Grant Ritchie

Oct 1, 2014
Grant, I'm glad you replied to this thread because I get email after email after mail that I did not want to keep getting. Showed up on the new posts and the suggestions worked perfect. Was able to go and uncheck the send email box.
Thanks, Mike.

I was going to delete this thread, but think I'll leave it. Someone else might find it useful.

Jan 8, 2015
I may have spoke too soon. I'm still getting emails with every reply to a thread even though I have unchecked the apropriate boxes. Not sure what else to try. <sigh>

Grant Ritchie

Oct 1, 2014
We should only delete threads that violate our terms of service. The threads are an important record (kind of a knowledge base) for future users.
Chris,

No worries... I'm not on a slash and burn mission. For the most part, I'm just moving misfiled threads to the correct forums, and there are a lot of misfiled threads.

Grant

Grant Ritchie

Oct 1, 2014
I may have spoke too soon. I'm still getting emails with every reply to a thread even though I have unchecked the apropriate boxes. Not sure what else to try. <sigh>
Hi Mike,

I don't understand that at all. Try clicking the "Watched Forums" link at the top of any forum page. That will display a list of all the forums and subforums, what you're watching in each one (i.e., New Threads or New Threads & Messages), and how you've chosen to be alerted (i.e., Alerts, Emails or Alerts & Emails).

If you find that you have to change any of your "Watch" settings, below is what you should see when you click "Watch Forum." If checking the "Send notifications for: New Threads" box doesn't stop the system from sending emails for all the replies, try checking the "Don't send notifications" box. Remember, you have to set your "Watch" preferences separately for each forum. Let me know if you keep having trouble, and we'll try to figure it out.

Grant

Watch Forum - Meet and greet/suggestions
Send notifications for:
  • New Threads
  • New Threads & Messages
  • Don't send notifications
    The forum will still be listed on the watched forums page, which can be used to list only the forums you're interested in.
Send notifications via:
  • Forum Alerts
  • Emails