How to move a deceased family members' frequent flyer miles to your account

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The account gets closed. You can’t move them.

“Under the SkyMiles Mileage Expiration policy, miles do not expire.
 Delta reserves the right to deactivate or close an account under the following circumstances:

Fraudulent activity occurs
A member requests an account closure
A member is deceased
A member does not respond to repeated communication attempts regarding the status of his/her account
A member resides in or relocates to a country where membership is prohibited under applicable law
A member violates the terms of this Membership Guide and Program Rules”

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/program-resources/program-rules.html

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Yvette, I'm sorry to say that Neil is correct. Frequent flyer miles and hotel loyalty points belong to them, not the member. There may be some strategies available, I'd check FlyerTalk forums to see what others have done. Wish we had better news for you.

Sep 19, 2015
From what I understand Delta will not transfer miles upon death. Are you the executor or do you have access to the account?

If you alert Delta they may close the account.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I am sorry about your loss of your family member.

You may be able to transfer the points using the share points feature. In many cases that is very expensive, rarely if ever free.

Aug 17, 2018
It's a gray area, and I'd be interested in what others think, but there's no way they know the family member died. If you have the account number, username and password, you could simply book a ticket for yourself or someone else out of the account. I realize that you may be wanting to transfer mileage to another account in order to build up a balance, but that's something you can't do.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It's a gray area, and I'd be interested in what others think, but there's no way they know the family member died. If you have the account number, username and password, you could simply book a ticket for yourself or someone else out of the account. I realize that you may be wanting to transfer mileage to another account in order to build up a balance, but that's something you can't do.
We cannot tell anyone anything other than what Delta states. We don't endorse sneaking around to do something against policy.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Dave, we don't counsel our OPs to act unethically. However, FlyerTalk may be a good source of ideas.

Sep 19, 2015
I second JSN55's suggestion to look at flyertalk in the forum section under mileage programs and Delta. There may be people that have had success with asking for special consideration.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017
Hi, after my husband passed away he left several hundreds of miles in his United account. When I inquired about transferring them over to my account the money required was pricey. Then the agent just mentioned that I could just book tickets out of his account. Which is what I did. I used them as fast as possible. Maybe this will work.

Feb 3, 2017
Probably a daft question but wouldn't the name used on the credit card need to match the airline miles account and if someone is deceased - well....

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
No, it doesn't. I can go into my husband's account and use my own credit card, as long as I have his password. They don't really care what card you use.

Probably a daft question but wouldn't the name used on the credit card need to match the airline miles account and if someone is deceased - well....

Sep 7, 2017
I my case I did still have use of the credit card tied to the account. At one point I was told the card was cancelled. After that I was able to book a ticket on a credit card under my own name.

Sep 7, 2017
My husband also had a number of points with Marriott. They graciously moved them over to an account in my name with no penalty.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Hi, after my husband passed away he left several hundreds of miles in his United account. When I inquired about transferring them over to my account the money required was pricey. Then the agent just mentioned that I could just book tickets out of his account. Which is what I did. I used them as fast as possible. Maybe this will work.
That agent was very kind. This information is valid, but nobody wants to talk about it. I go back and forth with tix using my miles and my husband's miles however we wish. The credit card is only important if it has benefits such as free checked bags.