How to get the rental car size that you need?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 20, 2014
For many years, my husband and I rented the cheapest cars available. We would like to be able to continue with this practice, but unfortunately my husband now requires a wheelchair, which will not fit in the smallest cars. The chair folds and is pretty small. It fits just fine in our Suburu Outback. As we all know, the rental car companies will not tell you what kind of a car you are getting, only something vague like " a Jeep Cherokee or similar ". This information is not very ueseful to us. We usually end up with an SUV for fear that the chair will not fit in a large car. Needless to say, this costs lots more money! It feels like we are being overcharged due to a disability, although I realize that the car companies treat everyone the same. Anyone suggestions on how to get the size car we actually need would be great. mThanks!

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
Dear Ms. Miller,

I'm one of Chris' assistants.

I'd suggest that you check with a number of different companies. I believe many of them have rental options which say, "Book this exact vehicle." That would give you a better chance of getting a vehicle in which your husband's wheelchair will fit.

Good luck,

Grant

Jan 6, 2015
I checked prices for a week at Miami and Chicago for a reference and both locations showed the same price for Compact, Economy, and Intermediate. The Intermediate class vehicles showed capacity for 5 adults and 4-5 large bags (Nissan Sentra, Ford Fusion). Looks to me like this class may work for little to no extra charge.

Jan 8, 2015
The Subaru is a station wagon if I recall correctly, so any normal car with a trunk is going to be more difficult. That said, most intermediate sized cars have fairly large trunks these days so there shouldn't be an issue. you may also look into seeing if there are any discounts available to you either with someone like AAA or one of the senior organizations, military discounts, etc. Also, there are now small SUVs that don't cost much more than even an intermediate that would work well for your needs and still get reasonable fuel mileage. I rented a Mazda CX-5 a couple months back and it was a nice drive that got about 25-30mpg unless heading up a bigger hill or into wind gusts. Hope some of the info helps.

B

bodega3

If you book the car online, I would call the 800 number and have it noted that passenger is traveling with a wheel chair and need that specific type of car due to that reason. Then a day before arriving, I would call the location where you are picking up the car letting them know your notation.

Sep 7, 2014
If you book the car online, I would call the 800 number and have it noted that passenger is traveling with a wheel chair and need that specific type of car due to that reason. Then a day before arriving, I would call the location where you are picking up the car letting them know your notation.
Excellent advice!