How to get a refund for bad service on AA Flight

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
Dec 11, 2015
I was refused my seat on American Airlines Flight 1033 departing from Washington Reagan Airport (DCA) going to Dallas Texas (DFW) on 6/24/15 by the airline stewardess who wanted me to sit in the next row because someone was sitting in my seat. I received horrific service by the airline stewardess and had to wait 10 minutes before I could sit in my seat. I wrote a letter to W. Douglas Parker, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer requesting a refund of my ticket and baggage fee in the amount $308.20. I received a letter from another department and was informed that American Airlines did not provide refunds. I also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau but American Airlines did not respond. I have been a customer since 2007. What recourse do I have? How do I get a refund for the poor service I received?

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
None. The airlines guarantee you a seat on a flight but not where it will be. They got you to your destination on the flight you bought so there is no refund due for moving your seat. They provided the service you paid for.

If you had paid extra for a premium seat and they moved you to a non premium, they'd owe you the difference in fare. But not for moving you from one seat to another.

Reactions: Tanya and VoR61

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They still aren't going to give you a refund for the supposedly bad service you received. The airlines obligation is to get you from point a to point b and they fulfilled their obligation. No where does it state they have to be nice about it.

Do you have the flight attendants name? If you do, you might want to complain and ask them to retrain their employee. We have company contacts on top of our page, write to customer service of the airline with your complaint. They might offer you points for your trouble but you won't get a refund.

And if you ask for a refund, they won't consider your request because it is uncalled for. But if you ask for some miles, that is not unreasonable.
If they don't offer anything more than an apology, write to the first executive shown. Give him a week to get back to you- if he doesn't within a week, write to the next executive. Repeat weekly until you reach the top if necessary but I hope they'll offer you some miles before that.

Mar 17, 2015
I don't think a refund is warranted. If the employee was rude, I think an apology is enough. Not all travel mishaps arise to the need of compensation. If you were allowed to fly and made it to your destination in the same class of service paid for, I do not believe you are owed anything. You are certainly able to vote with your dollars and not fly AA any longer if they do not issue an apology for the rude attendant.
It sounds like the child was eventually moved so that you even received your original seat.

Jan 5, 2015
H. Freeman,
Neil pretty much hit the nail on the head, you're not going to get a full refund for this. An apology and miles are the most you're going to get. One suggestion I will make is don't refer to the flight attendant as an "airline stewardess" in your complaint or when dealing with flight attendants in future. While some FAs don't mind, many now find the term offensive. This article explains why http://flightclub.jalopnik.com/heres-why-flight-attendants-dont-like-being-called-stew-1673276636.

Everyone else,
The poster never mentioned a child in the seat. We don't know who was in the seat, and it's irrelevant to his question anyway. Child or no, if he was moved from his seat to a non like seat (aisle to middle, for example, or to a different class) and he paid for a seat reservation (which we don't know if he did or not) then he's got a legitimate beef on those grounds regardless of the reason why he was moved. If airlines want to charge us for seat assignments then they need to refund us for that when things go wrong with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: VoR61 and dourdan
Mar 17, 2015
H. Freeman,
Neil pretty much hit the nail on the head, you're not going to get a full refund for this. An apology and miles are the most you're going to get. One suggestion I will make is don't refer to the flight attendant as an "airline stewardess" in your complaint or when dealing with flight attendants in future. While some FAs don't mind, many now find the term offensive. This article explains why http://flightclub.jalopnik.com/heres-why-flight-attendants-dont-like-being-called-stew-1673276636.

Everyone else,
The poster never mentioned a child in the seat. We don't know who was in the seat, and it's irrelevant to his question anyway. Child or no, if he was moved from his seat to a non like seat (aisle to middle, for example, or to a different class) and he paid for a seat reservation (which we don't know if he did or not) then he's got a legitimate beef on those grounds regardless of the reason why he was moved. If airlines want to charge us for seat assignments then they need to refund us for that when things go wrong with them.

Technomage, before the comment was edited, the OP had that a child was in the seat, not someone else. I still think it was irrelevant, but it was originally mentioned that it was a child in the seat.

Jan 5, 2015
Technomage, before the comment was edited, the OP had that a child was in the seat, not someone else. I still think it was irrelevant, but it was originally mentioned that it was a child in the seat.
Thanks for clarifying.

Reactions: VoR61

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Before it was edited it was to put a child in the seat next to its parents.

If he paid extra for the seat then a difference in the price of the seat is owed but there was no mention of him paying extra for his seat.
Now the complaint is simply for poor service according to his response to my first post and there is no refund due for poor service. It actually was a more legitimate claim when it was for having the seat changed.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Could you please describe the poor service you experienced? There must be more to your story and we would like to help you. Based on your letter, I don't see the poor service, so please elaborate.

Jan 8, 2015
Am I reading correctly that you want a refund of your ticket for having to wait 10 minutes before a FA would sit you back in your original seat?

What was so special about the original seat that the other seat couldn't accomodate? Was one an isle seat and the other a middle seat? Did one have a power port for charging or wifi or something?

Reactions: Neil Maley