How to appeal to Hertz after being put on the DNR list?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 3, 2018
I would appreciate it if you could help contact the appropriate person at Hertz to assist me in getting its decision to put me on the Do Not List reversed and getting me reinstated as a President's Circle Member.

I was placed on the Do Not Rent List after an incident where the rental car in my possession was driven without my permission. (Rental agreement number 9xxxxxxxx) The following is the Police Report: "On x time/ day the Reporting Party (me) left the above rented vehicle running to the front of the above address. The vehicle was locked and RP maintained possession of the car key. While inside the RP heard the vehicle drive away. No one had permission to take the vehicle. Officers located vehicle on.... (about 20 blocks away in about 5 minutes after the Police was notified)."

What was not explained in the police report is the fact that my mother, who is 75 years old, was with me. She did not want to wait for me in the car while I went in the house. She had a headache and wanted to get some fresh air. Since I was only going to take a few minutes, she told me she would wait for me outside next to the car. So I took the car key, locked the door and the car was left running. However, when I was in the house my mother decided to go get me because she wanted to get her purse from the car. When I opened the house door I heard the car drive away. I immediately called the police and the car was found parked blocks away within minutes. The car was not damaged. And my personal belonging, computer, cell phone, etc. left on the car was not stolen.

Hertz asked me to fill out a "Vehicle Theft From Customer Report." I submitted the report repeating was was written on the Police report. However, I was told via email from Hertz that I will be on a permanent DNR list because of negligence. I asked who I can reach out to via email or phone to explain the entire story and have not heard back. I find it perplexing that a company with which I have done a lot of business over the years (I usually rent a car on a weekly basis, for years) does not seem to want to take the time to understand what happened and lose a loyal customer. I feel I'm being punished for being truthful. I could of lied about leaving the car running and no one would of known, and I would not be on the DNR list. Do you feel this is justified? Is there any way you can help me resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by a moderator to remove rental agreement number

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 19, 2015
If the car was locked, how did someone take it for a joy ride?

Why do you think that you are being punished for being truthful? I am nnot sure it would have been better to lie, as Hertz could easily get a police report for their own car.

Was the part about your mother in the police report? Would it help to send a copy of that?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don’t understand the story. Someone other than your mother took the car when your mother came into the house?

Honestly- you were responsible for leaving the car running. You were honest but you also left it running. A stranger took the car and you are incredibly lucky they didn’t damage it. If it wasn’t running, it wouldn’t have been taken. It doesn’t matter that your mother was with you- did she leave the door unlocked when she went into the house to get you? Did she leave the door unlocked when she stood outside the car? If there were no broken windows, how could the car have been locked?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I would appreciate it if you could help contact the appropriate person at Hertz to assist me in getting its decision to put me on the Do Not List reversed and getting me reinstated as a President's Circle Member.

I was placed on the Do Not Rent List after an incident where the rental car in my possession was driven without my permission. (Rental agreement number 9xxxxxxxx) The following is the Police Report: "On x time/ day the Reporting Party (me) left the above rented vehicle running to the front of the above address. The vehicle was locked and RP maintained possession of the car key. While inside the RP heard the vehicle drive away. No one had permission to take the vehicle. Officers located vehicle on.... (about 20 blocks away in about 5 minutes after the Police was notified)."

What was not explained in the police report is the fact that my mother, who is 75 years old, was with me. She did not want to wait for me in the car while I went in the house. She had a headache and wanted to get some fresh air. Since I was only going to take a few minutes, she told me she would wait for me outside next to the car. So I took the car key, locked the door and the car was left running. However, when I was in the house my mother decided to go get me because she wanted to get her purse from the car. When I opened the house door I heard the car drive away. I immediately called the police and the car was found parked blocks away within minutes. The car was not damaged. And my personal belonging, computer, cell phone, etc. left on the car was not stolen.

Hertz asked me to fill out a "Vehicle Theft From Customer Report." I submitted the report repeating was was written on the Police report. However, I was told via email from Hertz that I will be on a permanent DNR list because of negligence. I asked who I can reach out to via email or phone to explain the entire story and have not heard back. I find it perplexing that a company with which I have done a lot of business over the years (I usually rent a car on a weekly basis, for years) does not seem to want to take the time to understand what happened and lose a loyal customer. I feel I'm being punished for being truthful. I could of lied about leaving the car running and no one would of known, and I would not be on the DNR list. Do you feel this is justified? Is there any way you can help me resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by a moderator to remove rental agreement number
This narrative does not make sense. Who drove the car when it was "locked"? Did our mother unlock the car? Did your mother drive the car?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
By all means contact Hertz, but it's important that you understand that you left the car running while locked and your mother got out of the car, leaving it running unlocked. That's where they're coming up with negligence. Someone who didn't know how to drive could have wrecked the car very quickly. Since you have a long track record as a good customer, Hertz may look more kindly on your request if you admit that you made the mistake and "artfully beg" to be reinstated. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome ... this is a most fascinating post.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I think @Totonexport should write as we suggested. I hope that if this is the first such incident, that he is successful, especially since there doesn't appear to have been any damage done. It is troubling if the renter had the only keys that someone could enter and drive away. Today there are cars that have remote start as a feature and they would be left running exactly as it seems this one was. It wouldn't be the renter's fault if someone could somehow enter the car and drive away. Nor would it be the renter's fault if he left the car running for a few minutes with the only key, provided he locked it. If however the car were not locked, it would be possible for it to be driven away without the key being present but once the engine were turned off, it would not be possible to start it again without the key (I know this as I once left my key outside such a car and drove off without realizing).