How do I get Frontier to Reimburse me for United Airline Tickets when their Flight Did Not Complete

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 30, 2016
On 10/15/16 Frontier Flight DL91122 from San Francisco to Cincinnati left San Francisco over 6 hours late due to weather delay. It was to make one scheduled stop in Las Vegas to pick up additional passengers and continue to Cincinnati. My husband and I had 1 flight number and 1 seat each assigned for 1 flight from San Francisco to Cincinnati.

When we arrived in Las Vegas on 10/16/16 after 2 am we were told to deplane and that the plane would not be going on. The gate agent called a manager to discuss the options for the 14 passengers who were stranded in Las Vegas en route to Cincinnati. The gate agent said we had missed our connecting flight (there was no connecting flight documented on our paperwork). There were 2 seats on the Frontier Flight leaving Las Vegas at 9:50 pm that night which would arrive in Cincinnati 24 hours late. The gate agent and manager said passengers could be put on stand by or book another flight themselves and request reimbursement.

We booked a United Flight that got into Cincinnati 12 hours later than we had anticipated at a cost of $779.20. I submitted a reimbursement request that was rejected by Frontier because we had missed our connecting flight due to weather delay. I indicated a) the gate agent and manager told us to book another flight and submit for reimbursement because there were no flights for 14 people out of Las Vegas that could get us through Cincinnati b) there was no connecting flight and that I had a reasonable expectation of the flight would complete once it left San Francisco and c) there were no seats available to get us from Las Vegas to Cincinnati in the next 24 hours. Frontier still denied my reimbursement saying that the gate and agent and manager denied ever telling my husband and I to book another flight and submit for reimbursement, I missed my connecting flight due to a weather delay and that was not something they could control. I asked for an appeal process but the customer service agent offered no advice on this.

I cannot prove the gate agent and manager gave direction to book another flight and submit for reimbursement but I do have documentation I was on one flight from San Francisco to Cincinnati that did not complete and Frontier should have records there were no seats on flights out of Las Vegas to Cincinnati for more than 24 hours. I also have proof Frontier customer service indicated the company would provide compensation or vouchers to passengers stranded more than 24 hours which we would have been if we had not taken another flight.

Does anyone know of any means or process to submit an appeal to Frontier that would help me obtain reimbursement for the situation above? Thank you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What usually happens in these instances are you have 2 choices:

1. The airline (Frontier) needs to put you on their first available flight with seats. When it is a small airline like Frontier, that can be several days away.

2. If you decline that, they have to refund you. Have you received a refund for the unused portion of your ticket? You should have.

That's all they are obligated to do. It sounds like the staff in Vegas mislead you by telling you that you would be reimbursed because that isn't true. Once you make other arrangements, Frontiers only obligation is to refund the unused portion of your ticket.

I think you need to use our company contacts from Frontier and go to the executives if customer service has told you no.

http://elliott.org/company-contacts/frontier-airlines/
If you have already corresponded with the Customer Service email address we give you, write to the first executive shown.

If you have the names of the agents that have you the info, add it if tell them what time and what gate you were at.

Request a refund of the difference between what Frontier refunded you and what your new tickets cost. Apparently either the staff needs training on this subject or they deliberately misled you to get you out of their hair. I would go for the point that if this is not Frontiers policy they need to retrain staff.

Give the exec. a week to get back to you. If he/she doesn't or the answer is no, write to the next exec. Repeat weekly until you get all the way up the chain.

If you get all the way up and the answer is still no, come back here and we'll tell you your next step.

Good luck.

Oct 30, 2016
Thank you very much for your detailed response. I went back through my emails with Frontier Customer Service, logged into my Frontier account and verified Frontier had given me a credit for frequent flyer miles I had used for this flight. I will try requesting the difference between what I paid for my replacement tickets and the cost of a current ticket and provide the information you suggested and see how that goes. I appreciate all the information you provided on what an airline's obligation is and will use this in my further travels to avoid other incidents like this one.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I like your attitude! You might as well try. All they can do is say no and you are only out the time it took you to email them. If you are willing to accept a future travel voucher, mention it in your email, they may be more apt to give you something. Good luck and let us know if you have any success.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sheryl, it never hurts to ask - you just have to find the right people to ask. The worst they can say is no and the best is they put on their Customer Service thinking caps and do something that makes sense. Let us know how the writing campaign goes.

Oct 30, 2016
Update on the writing campaign...After getting to contact #2 on the Frontier Contacts list I was contacted via telephone from a customer service agent named Scotty. Scotty listened to my story and indicated that he would investigate further on the lack of completion of my flight and determine if any further compensation were warranted. I told him I had been in contact with a consumer advocacy organization and that they had indicated if I refused to wait for a future frontier flight that was going to be more than 24 hours in the future that I was due a refund of what I had paid. Scotty indicated this was not true as the flight from San Francisco was delayed due to weather. I pointed out to him that his own customer service agent Luke via email had indicated Frontier would provide vouchers for meals and hotels while we waited a couple of days for a new flight and he indicated this was also not required as the flight was delayed due to weather and not mechanical failure. He did say however that he would investigate why we were put on a flight that was not going to complete and see if there was any additional reimbursement he could provide and would call me back. In case I have future issues in travel I am interested in learning whether an airline whose flights are delayed or not completed due to weather are required by law to provide any compensation while people wait for another flight. Do you know? Thank you again. Whether or not I gain any compensation I am learning a lot from this process and becoming a much better informed traveler.

R

Realitoes

In case I have future issues in travel I am interested in learning whether an airline whose flights are delayed or not completed due to weather are required by law to provide any compensation while people wait for another flight. Do you know? Thank you again. Whether or not I gain any compensation I am learning a lot from this process and becoming a much better informed traveler.
In the US there is no law that requires the airline to compensate you for any type of delay (except if the delay is due to being involuntarily denied boarding because they oversold the flight). As to what they do in these instance will normally be governed by the Contract of Carriage (CoC) you agree to when buying your ticket. In some cases they may offer some compensation as a "goodwill gesture" that is not covered in the CoC.

kenish

Verified Member
Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
The CoC that @Realitoes brought up in post #7 is the "fine print" you agree to when you purchase a ticket. They state the airline is only obligated to get you from A to B, and at no specific time or date! They go on to say published dates and times are "guidelines" and are not a guarantee of any type. Definitely read Frontier's so you have perspective as you request further compensation.

Oct 30, 2016
Thank you all again for that information. I received a call back from Scotty of Frontier and he indicated he was going to reimburse me the money for my United Flights based on the fact the San Francisco agents should not have put us on the flight to Las Vegas knowing it would not complete. He said we should have been given the option to not board and for Frontier to try and find us an alternative flight in San Francisco which was my basic argument all along. He saId he would be speaking to the San Francisco gate associates to make sure that did not happen again. I was satisfied with that response and I feel good overall about the company. Again I wanted to thank you all for your assistance and guidance with special thanks to Neil. I have already passed along this website address to number of friends and co-workers as a useful source for knowledge and assistance. Appreciate your help.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
"In case I have future issues in travel I am interested in learning whether an airline whose flights are delayed or not completed due to weather are required by law to provide any compensation while people wait for another flight."

Sheryl, thanks so much for coming back to us and for your nice compliments. We all enjoy helping travellers ... most of them anyway! As a general rule, weather delay expenses are usually on the passenger. Generally, an airline will compensate their passengers if the airline is 'at fault' and causes delays and inconvenience.

Early on in my travelling life, I arrived at EWR late in the evening, and there was a problem with the connecting flight. We were instructed to go to a hotel and we'd be rebooked for the next day. Vouchers were handed out ... mine was for a hotel that is waaaay down on the list, maybe not even on the list. I returned the voucher and booked a decent hotel at my own expense so we could get a nice meal and a good night's sleep. These kind of expenses are part of travel, I'd rather spend $150 than go to sleep hungry in a fleabag.