How can I get a refund for a cruise in 9 days

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 12, 2018
I just returned from the HAL ship Konigsdam today and I now have the norovirus. I am scheduled on the NCL jade for April 21st of this year. I at this point do not believe I will be able to do this cruise. I do not have travel insurance for this cruise thru NCL. I am willing to take a credit for the money spent on another cruise at a later date and can provide dr info if needed. I contacted NCL and they will just provide the $112 or so govt fees and taxes only and no credit. Any other ideas?

Jul 13, 2016
That's rough, but unfortunately, without insurance (either NCL or third-party), NCL is not obligated to refund or give you a credit. Scenarios like yours are exactly why traveler should always have trip cancellation insurance. You can try writing the the NCL contacts from this website, see under Company Contacts, but with hundreds of sad stories like yours that they hear every month, you may not get a credit or refund, especially since you contracted Noro on a HAL ship.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree with Globetrottinggirl. You are in 100% penalty, the only way you would be able to recover your money is if you had travel insurance. But- you would have to be sick enough for a doctor to complete a claim form saying you are too ill to travel- so if you are past the illness by the time your next cruise is here- even insurance might not help if a doctor won’t lie on a claims form saying you are too sick to travel.

NCL won’t give you a credit because they sell insurance just for this reason.

One thing to try - check with the credit card you used to see if they

You have time to recover. I think you’ll be fine by the time the cruise is scheduled to go.

By the way- you didn’t need to buy insurance through NCL- you could have bought through a third party.

This might be helpful in understanding everything insurance covers:

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/the-right-travel-insurance.1283/

Apr 10, 2017
I agree with John. You should be fully recovered by then. I can understand the psychological aspect of getting on another cruise ship right after such a bad experience but you're not likely to get sick again.

Apr 12, 2018
I have written to the two contacts listed on the site which I hope will be helpful. Feeling a bit better today but at this point I don't want to go anywhere. Thanks for all that responded!

Jul 13, 2016
@Lesliehyde Quick question... Norovirus is normally a short stomach bug (24, 48, 72 hours). You should be healthy and symptom free when you sail. Why would you have to cancel?
Depending on the general health and age of @Lesliehyde, she may not be recovered enough in 9 days. My mother has COPD, heart issues, and circulatory problems. When she gets sick with stomach flu, food poisoning, or Bronchitis, is takes her weeks to recover her strength and enthusiasm.

Apr 12, 2018
Thank you Globetrottingal! I am feeling better but absolutely no energy at all. I wrote to the contacts and received a call of too bad-so sad today. I am not young but not old yet but I will just take the hit this time and get my energy back over the next couple of weeks.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you Globetrottingal! I am feeling better but absolutely no energy at all. I wrote to the contacts and received a call of too bad-so sad today. I am not young but not old yet but I will just take the hit this time and get my energy back over the next couple of weeks.
Please buy travel insurance going forward. That would have helped if a doctor would certify you can’t travel.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Leslie, I hope you recover quickly and completely. Having no energy is indeed maddening. If you steel yourself to get to the port, settle into the ship ... you can "do nothing" for as many days as you like. Some nice meals, a little walking around the promenade deck ... maybe a movie. It can be your own personal "spa" with no schedule and plenty of time to relax.

Apr 12, 2018
I want to thank you all so much!! I contacted the NCL executive team and they went over and above to make me happy since I could not go on the cruise. I don't feel comfortable listing what the outcome was but by listing the NCL contacts on this website I was able to get some recourse to my not being able to go on the cruise. I also provided a Doctors letter which I believe helped. Thank you all!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I want to thank you all so much!! I contacted the NCL executive team and they went over and above to make me happy since I could not go on the cruise. I don't feel comfortable listing what the outcome was but by listing the NCL contacts on this website I was able to get some recourse to my not being able to go on the cruise. I also provided a Doctors letter which I believe helped. Thank you all!
Most EXCELLENT news, Leslie! It just warms my heart that these travel companies with their huge operations manuals can have a heart and treat a customer like she deserves to be treated. Well done!