HOTWIREakaEXPEDIA SCAMMERS theve GOT to be put out of business!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 17, 2018
This is about HOTWIRE which is owned by EXPEDIA

Media question from Katherine Whitley

Company you have a question or comment about: Hotwire

computer reverted to set date and time(9 15 12noon to 9 16 12 noon). For Tulsa ok. I booked 9 17 to 18 3pm. And I know it was right as I had to do it a few times when I received confirm email it said 9 15 hotwire refused to refund my credit card with their mistake. They bait and switched me. Visa will not refund as they have. All sales final in the charge. If this was the only date for that $29 rate, they needed to be honest and flash an alert on their booking screen. It was totally a bait and switch. I wrote on consumer affairs website...another of the 1252 complaints against hotwire. I told visa I will not pay this which will reflect on my credit report but that's how strongly I feel of being cheated by hotwire. How can I make a big enough fuss to put them out of business? Cheaters and scammers

What's your desired resolution? Get the refund due me

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 2971

Date of transaction/travel date: 09/12/2018

By submitting this form, I authorize representatives of this site and its affiliates to disclose information I have provided to a third party. I understand this authorization also applies to past and future correspondence with representatives of this site and its affiliates. The information may be used in a news story. I release and hold harmless this site and its affiliates from any liability and/or claims in connection with the disclosure of the information.

Referred by: I was referred by one of your readers.

Case number/reservation number: 3474832449l
NOTE - Edited my moderator to remove email and home address.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What did you book? Air, hotel, car? If it is a car- you have to use the calendar to change the date.

If it a car, I just did a mock booking. The site comes up with todays date and a time two hours in the future. I clicked on the calendar, clicked on new dates and it changed it with no problem - the correct dates came up. I tried it three times and each time the dates on the right hand side of the screen came up correctly after I clicked and changed it on the calendar.

When you book hot rates, they are non refundable.

We have company contacts on top of our pages here. Read the information about filing a complaint on the bottom of the page and follow the directions - find Hotwire under the travel agency tab and start with Customer Service and appeal.

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm so sorry to read this, Katherine. You booked the correct dates but the website reverted to the default that you saw when you signed on? I haven't used Hotwire in years, but I don't think they're doing this purposely. I have caught a couple websites doing this if I get interrupted or something. I've given out this advice for years: make your booking, note all the info, log out. Look at your official ID and your calendar to make sure all is correct. Come back, make your booking again, review it all for accuracy and log out. On the third round, hopefully at least the next day, review everything one more time, compare to your notes and make the booking.

This may sound cumbersome, but it far better than losing $2900+ for an erroneous booking. There's no bait and switch here, I'm afraid, it was user error. It happens all the time, even to people who are totally familiar with booking travel themselves. Follow our advice and throw yourself on their mercy. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

Sep 19, 2015
I really do not understand the post. A $29 dollar rate? For what a car rental?

Why is the value of the claim $2971? Do you mean $29.71 or almost $3000 dollars.

Sep 17, 2018
I'm so sorry to read this, Katherine. You booked the correct dates but the website reverted to the default that you saw when you signed on? I haven't used Hotwire in years, but I don't think they're doing this purposely. I have caught a couple websites doing this if I get interrupted or something. I've given out this advice for years: make your booking, note all the info, log out. Look at your official ID and your calendar to make sure all is correct. Come back, make your booking again, review it all for accuracy and log out. On the third round, hopefully at least the next day, review everything one more time, compare to your notes and make the booking.

This may sound cumbersome, but it far better than losing $2900+ for an erroneous booking. There's no bait and switch here, I'm afraid, it was user error. It happens all the time, even to people who are totally familiar with booking travel themselves. Follow our advice and throw yourself on their mercy. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.
Yes..................I did go through all the steps and had to do it several times.........when it looked like it was all in order, I gave c/c info...........that was a mistake...I shouldhave just gone with the other rate but tried to save on the rental. They so did bait and switch. I checked my email about 3 hours after booking to find this mistake. For a measly $29 they prefer to get all the bad internet comments............are they that penny foolish?

Sep 17, 2018
What did you book? Air, hotel, car? If it is a car- you have to use the calendar to change the date.

If it a car, I just did a mock booking. The site comes up with todays date and a time two hours in the future. I clicked on the calendar, clicked on new dates and it changed it with no problem - the correct dates came up. I tried it three times and each time the dates on the right hand side of the screen came up correctly after I clicked and changed it on the calendar.

When you book hot rates, they are non refundable.

We have company contacts on top of our pages here. Read the information about filing a complaint on the bottom of the page and follow the directions - find Hotwire under the travel agency tab and start with Customer Service and appeal.
I followed all the steps to make this reservation on dates I wished following all prompts....the prompts they did not have was one to alert me that the rates was good for only the date of 9/15..........or clue that this was not available on other dates and even showed the $29 rate for the 17th....that is a bit of software they could have mindfully added to booking the car..................it was a bait and switch for sure.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
How do you know the rate was only good for that date? Did they tell you that later?

You still had the opportunity to see the dates on the right hand side of the screen right next to where you input your credit card.

Sep 17, 2018
How do you know the rate was only good for that date? Did they tell you that later?

You still had the opportunity to see the dates on the right hand side of the screen right next to where you input your credit card.
I didnt know good for one day and a alert or flash on the web page could have alerted me to that. I did see it on the page when I put in my credit card........when emailed, it was the wrong date on confiration

Sep 17, 2018
I didnt know good for one day and a alert or flash on the web page could have alerted me to that. I did see it on the page when I put in my credit card........when emailed, it was the wrong date on confiration
also, I did not [print out the page with the dates, waiting for email confirmation and exited page...........

Sep 19, 2015
You wrote that you made the reservation on 9/12(date of transaction) but claim Hotwire changed the date to 9/15 when you put in 9/17 —

Like Neil I tried to make a mock booking. The default is the date one tries to make the booking— for me trying on 9/17 it is 9/17 not days later. Once I changed the dates the dates stayed.

You think Hotwire decided to change the date intentionally? I just tried for the following weekend and the cost is less than the $27 you got charged.

I tried to make several mock bookings at no time did Hotwire change the dates.

Is it possible you made a mistake? I am struggling to understand how you think this is a Hotwire fault.

And you are willing to have credit problems over a bill of $27.12?

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Yes..................I did go through all the steps and had to do it several times.........when it looked like it was all in order, I gave c/c info...........that was a mistake...I shouldhave just gone with the other rate but tried to save on the rental. They so did bait and switch. I checked my email about 3 hours after booking to find this mistake. For a measly $29 they prefer to get all the bad internet comments............are they that penny foolish?
They do not care about your comments. Stop using this and other similar booking sites and book directly with the car rental agency.

Nov 20, 2015
I'm having a hard time understanding why someone, such as yourself, in the travel industry would be willing to accuse Expedia/Hotwire of a crime in a publicly searchable forum over a $29 loss. I would think you could at least concede that this might be a glitch or an error on somebody's part. Have you had a bad experience with them before?

Sep 19, 2015
The rate for 9/22 to 23 is even lower than $27.12 so not a flash sale. The rates vary according to date and weekdays cost more than weekends.

The dates are listed on the page where one puts in the credit card info.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Just because you try a chargeback doesn’t mean that you will win the case. I could not recreate your error - and the company has a way to go back to the transaction and see exactly how the user input it.

Christina is as able to create a booking at an even lower rate so that seems to show it was not a flash rate only valid for one day. It points more to user error.

Katherine, I urge you to write using our contact at and ask them to pull the transaction records- they can see exactly what you did as far as choosing the dates.

Sep 19, 2015
I tried to make several mock bookings for Tulsa hot rates for one 24 hour car rental. The rates were different by the day. Least expensive was Friday to Saturday or Saturday to Sunday compact at $26 for a midsize.

The weekdays varied from $36 to $75 and some days had no hot rates available. Weekdays tend to be more expensive because of business travel.

I am having a hard time recreating a bait and switch and a rate in the $20-$29 range seems to be for the weekend.

The company may not be inclined to review the matter after being called cheaters and scammers and after someone declaring that they want to put Hotwire out of business.

As I know that my life is not error proof I avoid prepay rates for rental cars and hotels.