Hotwire won't let me remove an accidental booking

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 22, 2019
Thank you. I am doing all my correspondence through email now. I figured it would be better to explain, reread and change anything I needed to to make it a little clearer. When talking, I tend to get frustrated trying to explain the situation that I truly made a mistake and that I am not just trying to change hotels. I called in the beginning because I had just did it a few hours prior. I kind of panicked and wanted it taken care of as soon as possible.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Always email and use the process we detailed on How To Write - a week in between each email unless you get a response that is a no. Tell them you made an error and do what we call "artful begging". Hopefully you will have your letter land on the desk of an executive in a good mood that day who will make an exception. We've seen what we think are miracles happen here where we thought the consumer would get a no all the way up and it turned into a yes. I'm hopeful that might happen to you.

Jan 6, 2015
I understand that you have been respectful (polite) in your emails, but that is just one part of the appeal process. There are, in my opinion, three parts to any request. I call them the three "Rs":
  • Respectful
  • Relevant
  • Reasonable
Relevance means providing the recipient with just enough information to process your situation. Executives are busy with many things, so the shortest description possible will help them. Reasonable means matching your ask to what occurred. I think you have done that.

For your consideration, this is what I would send to them based upon your initial post. It is offered respectfully:
"I am writing to request your help in correcting an error which I made . . .​
I recently booked a "Hot Deal " on Hotwire very late at night, thinking I had selected an all-inclusive hotel so I would know what I am going to be spending for food and drinks.​
Six hours later, I realized that I had booked in a non all-inclusive hotel category, which was a higher price than the all-inclusive hotels I had reviewed.​
I recognize that these are nonrefundable, but I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to cancel then re-book with Hotwire again in the correct category as I intended before my choices disappear."​

This reduces the footprint from your 500-plus words to only 120.

Best wishes for success . . .

Thank you for your time and consideration . . .

Dec 17, 2018
I understand that you have been respectful (polite) in your emails, but that is just one part of the appeal process. There are, in my opinion, three parts to any request. I call them the three "Rs":
  • Respectful
  • Relevant
  • Reasonable
Relevance means providing the recipient with just enough information to process your situation. Executives are busy with many things, so the shortest description possible will help them. Reasonable means matching your ask to what occurred. I think you have done that.

For your consideration, this is what I would send to them based upon your initial post. It is offered respectfully:
"I am writing to request your help in correcting an error which I made . . .​
I recently booked a "Hot Deal " on Hotwire very late at night, thinking I had selected an all-inclusive hotel so I would know what I am going to be spending for food and drinks.​
Six hours later, I realized that I had booked in a non all-inclusive hotel category, which was a higher price than the all-inclusive hotels I had reviewed.​
I recognize that these are nonrefundable, but I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to cancel then re-book with Hotwire again in the correct category as I intended before my choices disappear."​

This reduces the footprint from your 500-plus words to only 120.

Best wishes for success . . .

Thank you for your time and consideration . . .
Actually, I think the All Inclusive deals were MORE expensive. OP wants to switch to a MORE expensive deal. It will end up more expensive for OP in the end if this deal stays, because OP doesn't like having to pay for food and drinks. But the actual Hotwire deal was cheaper for the hotel that was booked. So Hotwire actually has a decent incentive to let OP switch to All Inclusive.

Jan 6, 2015
Actually, I think the All Inclusive deals were MORE expensive. OP wants to switch to a MORE expensive deal. It will end up more expensive for OP in the end if this deal stays, because OP doesn't like having to pay for food and drinks. But the actual Hotwire deal was cheaper for the hotel that was booked. So Hotwire actually has a decent incentive to let OP switch to All Inclusive.
I see that now. Thanks for the correction . . .

Apr 22, 2019
Those are the some of the things I did write, except that it wasn’t a higher price than the one that I was going to book. I will actually be adding to the cost. It’s no wonder the deal was so good! I did write the hotel a letter to ask about an all inclusive plan. They have one and it is an extra $2436. I could get a nice hotel that is all inclusive for that amount. . It would be cheaper to rent another all-inclusive hotel nearby and go there to eat lol!

Apr 22, 2019
I was successful!!!! What I did though is to email Expedia since they own Hotwire and they took care of it. The girl was so awesome that took care of me and allowed me time to make sure I had the deal I wanted. I had to make the changes over the phone with her so she allowed me the time to figure it out and then she called me back. I am a happy camper!:) Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions!

Apr 22, 2019
@kksurtin make sure you have a written confirmation. I would also reach out to the next level and thank them for the service you received. Mention the employee by name if you can. It's always nice to be recognized for taking care of a custom
@kksurtin make sure you have a written confirmation. I would also reach out to the next level and thank them for the service you received. Mention the employee by name if you can. It's always nice to be recognized for taking care of a customer. :)
Yes, I will do that. I will write a letter back to Expedia again. I am terrible with names. I can’t remember someone’s name ten seconds after they say it. I talked to her three times on the phone to and she said her name three times. She had a foreign accent and I am the worst at understanding someone when they have an accent even if it isn’t strong. It’s also harder for me when on the phone. . Her name wasn’t uncommon but I was trying to pay more attention to understanding because I hate asking people to repeat themselves. She also processed my refund while I was on the phone and I got the confirmation of both the new travel and the refund while I was still talking to her. I told her several times how much I appreciated it and told her how awesome she was for being so patient with me. She laughed and said thank you when I told her she was awesome. She really was though. She gave me the time so I could figure out which hotel it was. They tell you the distance your hotel will be from other things, so you can match the distances up with the hotels offered and figure it out. So I already knew which hotel I was getting.

Sep 26, 2017
Yes, I will do that. I will write a letter back to Expedia again. I am terrible with names. I can’t remember someone’s name ten seconds after they say it. I talked to her three times on the phone to and she said her name three times. She had a foreign accent and I am the worst at understanding someone when they have an accent even if it isn’t strong. It’s also harder for me when on the phone. . Her name wasn’t uncommon but I was trying to pay more attention to understanding because I hate asking people to repeat themselves. She also processed my refund while I was on the phone and I got the confirmation of both the new travel and the refund while I was still talking to her. I told her several times how much I appreciated it and told her how awesome she was for being so patient with me. She laughed and said thank you when I told her she was awesome. She really was though. She gave me the time so I could figure out which hotel it was. They tell you the distance your hotel will be from other things, so you can match the distances up with the hotels offered and figure it out. So I already knew which hotel I was getting.
Also read the confirmation when you get it...if you read it closely, the rep's name may be mentioned in the confirmation somewhere. I know when we book company travel through our travel agent, the agent's name is included in the confirmation. The rep's name may not be on your confirmation, but at worst, you've lost a few minutes reading.

Apr 22, 2019
I already looked. I just checked again on the cancellation and booking email. I gave him my reservation number to see if that would allow him to see who it was. I thought maybe on his end, it might be on the computer. I can't imagine that it wouldn't be available. Otherwise it would be so hard to track employees if they are getting complaints from customers.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Also read the confirmation when you get it...if you read it closely, the rep's name may be mentioned in the confirmation somewhere. I know when we book company travel through our travel agent, the agent's name is included in the confirmation. The rep's name may not be on your confirmation, but at worst, you've lost a few minutes reading.
Very few suppliers do this and it’s generally only when a real travel agent books your trip. I have never seen that with an OTA. But the OTA can tell
which of their employees did it behind the scenes because each employee has their own log in when they use their computers.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Ah, another opportunity for a travel lesson ... ALWAYS make notes of the conversation: date, time and the person's name. Have them spell it ... be sure to get it right, ask as often as you need to because it could make a big difference if there are issues down the road. If you haven't saved all the details, it's just another "he said, she said" story.