Hotwire won't let me remove an accidental booking

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 22, 2019
I booked a "Hot Deal " on Hotwire. I was up really late trying to decide what I wanted to do. I had several windows open on my computer from looking at categories and looking at the hotels. I finally decided to book an all-inclusive hotel that was going to be one of four hotel. That's why I was researching the hotels, so I could make sure that I would be happy with whatever hotel I was going to end up with out of the four. I do not book hotels that are not all-inclusive. I opened the page which I thought was a group of all inclusive hotels because some said they were in their titles. I also booked travel insurance which I thought covered anything but I apparently misunderstood. I was aware that it was not to be cancelled after booking. I realize that people would book, cancel and schedule another hotel if they didn't like the choice if they allowed that. That is why I was researching and looking at so many hotels. I wanted to make sure that I would like any of the choices. I booked and was fine with the hotel choice. Six hours later, I realized that I had booked in a non all-inclusive hotel category. I called and talked to someone on the phone. They wouldn't let be cancel it so that I could book in the category I actually meant to. I just wanted to cancel and rebook in the all-inclusive category. I am not just trying to switch the hotel because I didn't like it. As I said, I only go to all-inclusive hotels, because I can book what I can afford, instead of not knowing what I am going to spend in food and drinks. I also don't like to have to carry money with me all the time. The price is actually higher on the group of hotels that were all-inclusive, so I am not trying to book something cheaper. I am not trying to pull one over on anybody. It was late, I did something ACCIDENTALLY. I realized that the are nonrefundable. I called, they said I couldn't. I called the insurance company that suggested I call the hotel directly. The girl was out and supposed to call me back. I have not heard from anyone. I called to talk to another person at Hotwire and she wouldn't help me either. I was getting angry so I called my credit card company to file a dispute. I have to wait until it even posts to file a dispute. So, I thought I would try to talk to someone in the complaints department. I emailed what I thought was the complaints department. I was referred to this forum. I don't really want to have to dispute the charges. What I really want, is to cancel then rebook again in the correct category as I intended. I don't really want to fight about this, I just want to correct my mistake. I still want to book with Hotwire. I want to get this booked right away, so I can get my vacation scheduled and I get into one of the hotel options that I intended to before my choices don't exist anymore. Thank you for any help I can get.

Dec 19, 2014
I doubt that you will get any results contacting the hotel.

Unfortunately, the "Hot Deal" option is non-refundable, non-changeable and opaque. Abuses in the past where travelers cancel after the hotel is revealed is why Hotwire has become strict about allowing refunds.

Your best course of action is to write Hotwire, asking them to give you a one time exception in allowing you to rebook into an "all inclusive" resort. Be aware this is asking for an exception and should not be viewed as an expectation. Avoid emotion, stick to the facts, and don't use all caps.

I am curious though. when you choose an opaque hot deal, the category is pretty clear: "hot rate 4 star resort" vs "hot rate 5 star ALL-INCLUSIVE resort." You also would have had to confirm when you entered payment. Therefore, I can understand why Hotwire may turn you down.

Apr 22, 2019
I had been up all night looking and was really tired when I finally made my decision. I looked back at the deal, I had several windows open on different deals. Three out of the four hotels said all-inclusive on them. The hotel that I got, did not say all-inclusive on it, but it doesn't say all inclusive on it when it is listed in the deals with all-inclusive hotels either. The add for that particular hotel never says all-inclusive on it. So, when I looked at the page knowing that, when the other choices were all inclusive, I mistakenly thought I was in an all-inclusive resort.

Apr 22, 2019
I also had the pages open to the hotel page and the pages were scrolled down showing the hotels and it was past the point where it said what class of hotel it was. Seeing three all inclusive hotels and the one that never says all inclusive on any category it is in, I thought I was on an all inclusive page. I wasn't looking for a particular 4 or 5, I just looked at the hotels that I was ok with all of the four choices.

Jul 13, 2016
You should not file a credit card dispute. This action is for billing errors, not customer error booking the wrong rate. You made the error and you may have to live with it. At least you have the hotel and dates you wanted, right? This is a learning lesson to you not to make non refundable booking while tired and confused. It could have been much worse!

Apr 22, 2019
Yeah, I don't mind the hotel, but this trip will be much more expensive than my budget had planned with it not being an all-inclusive.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you file a cc dispute you will most likely lose. Its called "friendly fraud" and not a legitimate reason for a credit card dispute. The problem using these hot deals is that once it's booked, it's booked - there are no refunds even if you find it five seconds after hitting the buy button. So your only hope it to throw yourself at the mercy of Priceline. Just be polite and admit you made a mistake. They tend to look more favorably at you when you admit your error.

Apr 22, 2019
Ok, I read your message again after I just sent my second letter out! But, the person that I sent the other letter to had already called me.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Ok, I read your message again after I just sent my second letter out! But, the person that I sent the other letter to had already called me.
What did that person say? Have you solved your problem?

FOR OUR OTHER READERS
Booking travel on the internet is sometimes fun and sometimes disasterous. You should use online booking sites for research and then book direct with the hotel. If you find a great rate, call the hotel itself (not the national call center) to see if they'll honor it. "Saving" 30 bucks a night is nice, but you need to understand what you're doing. Prepayment and non-refundable is a no-go in my book, it's just not worth it. If I'm looking at hotels, I make notes, I pare the list down, read all the reviews, and pick my top three. Then I go away and come back the next day. You need a clear head to score a bargain on the internet. When it comes to the price differential between booking a hotel room only and booking an all-inclusive rate, the bottom line probably comes out pretty close.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2015
I am curious WHAT you have sent them. If you are comfortable doing so, please copy/paste your email for us to review . .

Apr 22, 2019
I just basically sent the details above. Explaining how it happened. I asked if they could please make an exception to the rule. I have been totally polite and non-threatening.