Hotels.com Refund Request

  • Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 25, 2017
7
7
3
24
#1
I made a reservation for one room at the Watson Hotel in New York, NY. I made the booking through Hotels.com.

I failed to notice the reservation I made was for April rather than October, the month for which I intended to book the hotel. The next day, I received an email about my upcoming stay at the hotel. By the time I received this email, I could not obtain a refund on the website because the reservation was beginning in less than 24 hours.

I first called the hotel to try to cancel the room, but they told me they could not help me. Since my reservation was made on the Hotels.com website, they told me to contact Hotels.com. I have contacted Hotels.com multiple times since, and each time have been told that they cannot refund me. I am going to lose $338 for a hotel room I couldn't use.

Can you please give me advice on how to get full or partial refund? I am willing to pay a cancelation fee and potentially for the first night of my reservation, but getting charged for the full stay is excessive. I am also willing to be credited the money on the Hotels.com website in lieu of a refund. Thanks so much in advance for your help.
 

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
6,859
6,781
113
San Francisco
#2
I agree with you, Dylan, a first-night's rate penalty is enough. I hate it when hotels do this. You should know that hotels want people to book with them directly ... and in this case you probably would have been successful in just changing the date of your stay had you booked directly. You're not depriving them of any revenue, just correcting your mistake.

I would compose a concise, polite email to H.com and ask them to change the date of your res. Submit to customer service, wait two weeks and use our Company Contacts to move up the beanstalk, waiting a week between each submission. Good luck!
 
Feb 9, 2016
2,449
2,797
113
#3
You are basically saying that you booked for the wrong month. So you still need a hotel room, you just need it in October, not April. As part of your terms and conditions, you agreed that this reservation was non refundable. If you are attempting to cancel and get your money back, that violates your agreement.

How long after you booked did you attempt to cancel?
In the process of attempting to 'cancel' this reservation - did you also attempt to move the reservation?

I wouldn't write hotels dot com just yet and ask for them to cancel. I would write customer service a polite email letting them know that you booked for April but really needed October, and would they be so kind as to move the reservation to Dates X and Y? If you attempted to move the reservation, cite the date you attempted to do this. If it is close to the booking date, that will bolster your request and the fact that it was a mistake.

Arm yourself with the booking cost for your new dates so you knowhow much it will be. they aren't going to allow you to book at your April price if it was less expensive. However, if October ends up being less expensive, they should honor that.
 
Jul 27, 2016
969
1,173
93
#4
I made a reservation for one room at the Watson Hotel in New York, NY. I made the booking through Hotels.com.

I failed to notice the reservation I made was for April rather than October, the month for which I intended to book the hotel. The next day, I received an email about my upcoming stay at the hotel. By the time I received this email, I could not obtain a refund on the website because the reservation was beginning in less than 24 hours.

I first called the hotel to try to cancel the room, but they told me they could not help me. Since my reservation was made on the Hotels.com website, they told me to contact Hotels.com. I have contacted Hotels.com multiple times since, and each time have been told that they cannot refund me. I am going to lose $338 for a hotel room I couldn't use.

Can you please give me advice on how to get full or partial refund? I am willing to pay a cancelation fee and potentially for the first night of my reservation, but getting charged for the full stay is excessive. I am also willing to be credited the money on the Hotels.com website in lieu of a refund. Thanks so much in advance for your help.
For how many nights was this booking? If the total amount was $338, and you're willing to pay a first night's cancellation penalty, how much are you trying to get refunded or as a credit?
 
Sep 19, 2015
2,467
3,743
113
48
#5
$338 sounds like one night in a NYC hotel with all the taxes. If it was two nights with all the taxes that was a good rate. Although the hotel does offer some rates that can be canceled for no penalty, they ask for 24 hour notice. It sounds like the OP did not notice the mistake until after the grace period had ended.
 
Jul 27, 2016
969
1,173
93
#6
$338 sounds like one night in a NYC hotel with all the taxes. If it was two nights with all the taxes that was a good rate. Although the hotel does offer some rates that can be canceled for no penalty, they ask for 24 hour notice. It sounds like the OP did not notice the mistake until after the grace period had ended.
Agreed that $338 sounds like one night, but the original post mentions that he'd lose $338, which he thinks is unfair, but that he'd be willing to pay a one-night cancellation fee, implying that $338 is for more than one night.
 
Sep 25, 2017
7
7
3
24
#7
Hi everyone,

Sorry for replying late to this. $338 was for two nights, actually. So in other words, I'd be willing to pay $169 for my mistake. I'd rather get refunded that money than move the reservation to October. I'm not sure Hotels.com has an email for customer service support. If you are aware of one, could you share it with me?

Thanks so much again,
Dylan
 

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
2,001
3,417
113
#8
Hi everyone,

Sorry for replying late to this. $338 was for two nights, actually. So in other words, I'd be willing to pay $169 for my mistake. I'd rather get refunded that money than move the reservation to October. I'm not sure Hotels.com has an email for customer service support. If you are aware of one, could you share it with me?

Thanks so much again,
Dylan

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/expedia/ has the information we have. Hotels.com is owned by expedia.
 
Likes: jsn55
Sep 25, 2017
7
7
3
24
#11
Give it until tomorrow, I think we're upgrading the site tonight.
Checked again, the contacts are now up. Thanks so much for that. So it looks like the number I should call is their corporate headquarters. Sorry to ask another question, but does anyone know what kind of script I should use when I leave a voicemail asking for a partial refund? Their live operators aren't answering, and I'm afraid they'll just ignore me or tell me to call customer service again.
 

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
1,180
1,963
113
#12
Checked again, the contacts are now up. Thanks so much for that. So it looks like the number I should call is their corporate headquarters. Sorry to ask another question, but does anyone know what kind of script I should use when I leave a voicemail asking for a partial refund? Their live operators aren't answering, and I'm afraid they'll just ignore me or tell me to call customer service again.
Email only, that way you have a "paper" trail.
 
Likes: jsn55
Mar 23, 2015
81
120
33
53
#14
"The next day, I received an email about my upcoming stay at the hotel. By the time I received this email, I could not obtain a refund on the website because the reservation was beginning in less than 24 hours."

Am I misreading or just confused? If the mistake was in booking for April, versus October, then how could there be less than 24 hours before the start of the reservation if it's only September now? I am out of coffee so it's possible I'm just being stupid...
 

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
1,180
1,963
113
#15
I emailed info@expedia.com, which got no response. I'm not familiar with this process – should I actually email one of the executive contacts listed? If so, do I just go ahead and explain the situation? Thanks so much again, you guys are so great.
Yes, start with the first name on the exec list. Wait at least a week for a reply before moving to the next name on the list. I would be as brief as possible as well as polite and professional. The idea is to convince them to want to help you. If you need to send to another exec in a week, I would imagine the same email content can be used, just remember to change who you address it to!
 
Likes: jsn55
Sep 25, 2017
7
7
3
24
#17
I booked the hotel in April, for April. By the time I realized, it was within 24 hours. I wanted to book for October. Does that make sense?

Emailing the primary executive contact now. Wish me luck!
 
Jul 27, 2016
969
1,173
93
#18
Oh, wait, you mean you meant to book for October 2017, but accidentally booked for April 2017? I had understood that you meant to book for Oct 2017, but accidentally booked for April 2018. If the time has passed, it'll definitely be harder to get anything back, since the hotel has presumably been paid already.
 
Likes: krisseye

Neil Maley

Moderator
Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
13,403
13,058
113
New York
www.promalvacations.com
#19
I booked the hotel in April, for April. By the time I realized, it was within 24 hours. I wanted to book for October. Does that make sense?

Emailing the primary executive contact now. Wish me luck!
Here is the process - you email customer service first - give them a week to reply. If they don't, or they say no - then you write to the first executive. Give him/her a week to reply - repeat if necessary.

You must give your contact time to research an answer for you. Don't be impatient - wait a week in between each escalation.