HOTELS.COM NON REFUNDABLE DOUBLE RESERVATION FOR SAME STAY

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What it comes down to is booking nonrefundable rates. We’ve seen here over and over people trying to save few dollars booking nonrefundable rates who think that there will be exceptions made did a mistake they find immediately.

That’s not how it works- these OTAs don’t care if you notice it right away- you chose the cheapest rate and they don’t make exceptions.
So true, the online booking services are a numbers game. If you're unhappy, they don't care because there are 5 people behind you looking to save $3. I wish this forum was required reading for every traveller before they start to plan a trip.

Sep 19, 2015
No they did not fix the reservation. The continue to say that because I had used an OBS, they could do nothing about the situation and OBS would have to do something about it. I tried to be extra nice as previously suggested, but they looked right through me as though I wasn't there. Hilton Honors membership did not hold any weight either. But we used both rooms and I asked them to change the sheets everyday even though their policy is to change every 2 days if you are staying more than 1 night. Bit snarky of me, I'm sure. I understand their eco policy in drought challenged Southern California. The tap in 1 of the rooms didn't emit hot water, so I called down and asked they fix it immediately. They said it would be later in the day. I called the manager and explained about the 2 rooms and OBS and he sent someone within 2 minutes, literally. So they knew how I felt and would still do nothing about it. It was a bit horrid of me, I know. I was not the nice guest I usually am. The weather was quite nice and we had a lovely time of it.
You lost me on forcing a changing of sheets out of spite during a drought period and after massive fires in the area. You failed to take into account that the hotel may not be able to do anything because the OTA refused to refund the money— there may be a contract. The people living under drought restrictions did not cause your problem. This is not the fault of the hotel. The anger should be focused on the OTA.

Sep 12, 2018
What it comes down to is booking nonrefundable rates. We’ve seen here over and over people trying to save few dollars booking nonrefundable rates who think that there will be exceptions made did a mistake they find immediately.

That’s not how it works- these OTAs don’t care if you notice it right away- you chose the cheapest rate and they don’t make exceptions.
I’m totally with you when the traveler makes a mistake (enters the wrong dates, misspells a name, etc.), but when the online platform explicitly states that a transaction was not completed, as is the case here, and the customer takes them at their word, I fail to see how or why the cost for that error should fall on the customer. In other words, I don’t think the OP *made* a mistake. Hotels.com did.

Nov 16, 2018
You are all absolutely right and I'm one of those people who is penny wise and pound foolish. In this situation anyway.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I’m totally with you when the traveler makes a mistake (enters the wrong dates, misspells a name, etc.), but when the online platform explicitly states that a transaction was not completed, as is the case here, and the customer takes them at their word, I fail to see how or why the cost for that error should fall on the customer. In other words, I don’t think the OP *made* a mistake. Hotels.com did.
As we have seen over and over- you must check, check and recheck when this happens. Yet if a refundable rate has been chosen this would have been an easy fix.

Dec 18, 2018
I had a somewhat similar situation with Hyatt Place. I had reserved a room through Hotels.com for one night, then my plans changed and I asked Hotels.com to switch my reservation from a Friday night to the previous Wednesday night. And guess what? The Hyatt people would not let me switch nights, even though it was four days in advance and I wanted to change from a weekend night to a weekday night, which you would think would be in the hotel’s best interest and wouldn’t cost them anything. But no, the reservation was “no changes” and they refused to swap days for me. They wouldn’t bend the rule even in the interest of good customer service, so they lost me as a customer and possibly some of my friends and family members. And the woman from Hotels.com actually had the nerve to ask me if I wanted to give up the reservation. So she was asking me to give up a room I had paid for so someone else could book it for the same night and the hotel would get two payments for one night. Seriously?
So I won’t be using Hotels.com or staying at a Hyatt hotel ever again.
I really don’t understand the Hyatt’s policy of refusing a request that cost them nothing and would have kept a customer happy.

Dec 19, 2014
I had a somewhat similar situation with Hyatt Place. I had reserved a room through Hotels.com for one night, then my plans changed and I asked Hotels.com to switch my reservation from a Friday night to the previous Wednesday night. And guess what? The Hyatt people would not let me switch nights, even though it was four days in advance and I wanted to change from a weekend night to a weekday night, which you would think would be in the hotel’s best interest and wouldn’t cost them anything. But no, the reservation was “no changes” and they refused to swap days for me. They wouldn’t bend the rule even in the interest of good customer service, so they lost me as a customer and possibly some of my friends and family members. And the woman from Hotels.com actually had the nerve to ask me if I wanted to give up the reservation. So she was asking me to give up a room I had paid for so someone else could book it for the same night and the hotel would get two payments for one night. Seriously?
I really don’t understand the Hyatt’s policy of refusing a request that cost them nothing and would have kept a customer happy.
Not to sound unsympathetic, but this is a completely different situation than the one the OP originally posted. You booked a non-refundable, non-changeable room type. It is exactly what it is. Non-refundable, non-changeable. The irony is that a refundable room may not have cost that much more. There is a reason why some of us don't book non-refundable room rates, because of the lack of flexibility.

Unfortunately, you will find that EVERY hotel chain (not just Hyatt) offers non-refundable, non-changeable room types. So, your experience with Hyatt isn't unique to Hyatt.

Sep 19, 2015
The point is that you booked a non changeable non refundable room. If your plans could change, why not book a refundable room which usually costs a little more? You cannot have the benefit of the cheapness of the non refundable room and the benefit of the flexibility of the more expensive room at the same time. I only book changeable rooms now after paying for a non-refundable room that I could not use. How is it in the interest of customer service to give you the same benefits that others pay more for? How is that fair that they "bend the rules" just for you? When I ended up paying for a room I could not use I did not complain because that is what I agreed to, and have never booked non refundable again.

And if you are going to boycott Hyatt over this policy, and will boycott other hotels with this policy, you may find that there are few places to stay.

Omi experienced a technical failing with the website of hotels.com, which is different.