Hotels.com literally put my life in danger with a fraudulent booking

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2018
Just before Mother's Day this year, I was in a cab and doing my best to find a hotel room online at hotels.com. I had only cash available to me and no money on my credit card, and I knew I needed to pay at the hotel when I arrived. I was having absolutely no luck and did not have the time to look at every single hotel in the area I was headed to so I called hotels.com and advised their expert booking agent advised to make sure I had a room that would accept my cash and yet would allow me to pay at the hotel and I told them I was already in a cab on my way there. To make a long story short they sent me to the first hotel and then a second hotel and neither Hotel would accept cash they both had signs that predominately advised they took only credit cards. I have to say right here that the calls I made to hotels.com after this point in the evening, where I spoke to a manager, and a supervisor in customer service, they both were kind enough to offer to fix this problem and get me a room if I would just give them my credit card number so they could book it! Does this mean to you , as it does to me, that I was not being paid any attention to?!
After looking at my confirmation receipt later on I noticed that while the representative told me she put in the notes that I would be arriving at the hotel soon and will be paying cash, and that was definitely there, that both above and below that were there Hotel policy stating they took no cash, only credit cards and that they did not have to accommodate any special requests if it violated Hotel policy or was not available at the time. This was the reason why I called in because I could not find what I was looking for online by myself I needed to have them look for me as the hotel experts and find me exactly what I required.
Not only did they not do that but they sent me to two separate hotels spending all the available cash I had on cabs, and refuse to do anything to correct the situation that they had placed me in. I was now in a strange city, alone with no place to stay after trying to book two rooms with hotels.com, I had no cash as I used every penny I had taking cabs to where hotels.com told me to go, and I was left on the street very cold and alone and scared to death. I was crying and I knew from past experience and other business transactions with hotels.com that they were able to comp a room or at least pay half of the rate, at least that was before I went to the second hotel and spent the rest of my money. I had a free night coming in the next month and had redeemed numerous rewards nights in the past, so I requested that they offer me that free night for that evening and I would give it up when it came up the next month and they refuse to do that. I asked to speak to a female manager or female and authority and was told they were not available and later,that but there were absolutely no female managers.
The situation I was left in as I said was me alone on a chilly night, I was just in a dress and heels from a party I had just left, I now had no money on my person and I am sitting on the side of a road holding my bags, and I was in an area that I was aware by watching the local news had had 10 random shootings in the last 10 days for various reasons so the likelihood of me being harmed on that evening in one way or another was a very real and great risk. I made another call to hotels.com, crying yet trying to stay calm I was not screaming or cursing, at this point I was begging them to keep me safe because I had follow their advice and was now in this position. I was told there was nothing they would do, not nothing they could do but nothing they would do, it was a choice to not help me. (I must reiterate right here, I readily admit I am not an attorney and perhaps and misquoting though I don't think I am, but section c of the Consumer Fraud and deceptive Practices Act States it is fraud and deception if incorporation does not act when a "consumer initiates contact with that service and advises them that more services were needed to meet a bona fide immediate personal emergency", I'm pretty sure this qualified as exactly that, and not only that it was caused by them!)
the next day I called toto talk to someone I hoped was higher in authority I was once again told there was nothing they could do, and there was nothing they were going to do about it though they did offer a voucher the evening before and they tried to drop the value but then they raised it slightly I was told if I continue to complain they would take it away completely and I could have nothing. I had no way to get home and no way to get to my business appointments that morning which was the only reason I was traveling in the first place.
Since then I have made numerous calls, emails and messaging to their booking agents and other departments only to be told the same thing over and over again... They were sorry for the INCONVIENCE but they're not going to do anything more about it and as far as they're concerned the situation is closed. They did not apologize they have made no effort to arbitrate or allow me any type of redress, I have asked several important questions that they have avoided and not offered any response to, I have requested much of this information in writing which I am entitled to and they refused to give it to me. I've also requested certain information from them such as what trade group they belong to, and what their policy is on how they deal with consumer complaints regarding their own service and also what options are available to them when it comes to giving someone correcting a an issue that occurs whether with their service or with the hotel itself .
Also, just to let you know the voucher which started at $50 is now up to $125 but they claim no responsibility and told me if I have problem booking a hotel using the voucher please feel free to call in as one of their experts will be happy to assist me! is that not what I did that evening and look where they're experts put me??!! The last message I had from hotels.com was from there consumer relations department where they advised me that was as high as my complaint could go, that there was no phone in their corporate office and no way for them or I to contact anyone in their corporate office. That no managers wish to speak with me and would tell me nothing different than the consumer relations department was telling me. They are consumer relations department even asked me what I felt was adequate compensation even though they had offered $125 voucher? I answered their question with another one, suppose I had been one of those 10 random shootings to make it a total of 11? Or I'd been harmed in some other way say kidnapped or raped? What would their compensation be to my family when the police told them that they had put me in that situation and that that had occurred? I just wanted to know what their compensation to my family would have been... I would truly love an answer to that question but it has been ignored.
the last communication I had was from the consumer relations department again where quoted me their policy which states that "hotels.com is not liable for any fraudulent or erroneous or breaches, committed by their vendors or suppliers."
Which tells me that not one staff member at hotels.com that I spoke to is listening to me or reading any note they are keeping or seriously concerned about what they could have potentially caused, the Fatal danger they put me in, with their and different and impersonal attitudes and because of their negligent Misrepresentation of their vendors service, again, which was the specific reason for my call to the "Obvious Hotel Experts"!
I still shake when I think about that evening and my children spent Mother's Day in tears thinking that they might not have seen me again. The hotels that hotels.com represented that evening did absolutely nothing wrong, and we're actually quite distressed about how they were being misrepresented by hotels.com and genuinely concerned for my well-being, but their hands were tied and there was nothing they could do for me. That I understood. Hotels.com refuses to allow anyone in authority to speak with me and I have both requested and finally demanded to speak with a female corporate officer who has some Authority there and have been told there are none.
Now I want it very clear, that I am not a woman who complains, or whines when things go wrong, or immediate seeks to Sue someone for a simple mistake that could happen to anyone. I had been a member of hotels.com for over 5 years, and I have referred hundreds of people to them because they have both impressed and satisfied me as a member every single time I have used them. Anytime I had even the slightest problem at a hotel, they immediately made a call and corrected it and offered even more compensation to make sure my travel experience was perfect. That is why this is so upsetting this is so far to the other end of the spectrum where they actually put my life on the line, not figuratively I really mean literally put my life on the line. They have comped me a room over the smallest things that a Hotel did wrong and I even advised them they did not have to do that because it wasn't a big deal but they wanted to make sure my best interest were looked after, which is why I remained a member and continued to send other people to them for the best vacation possible. Every person I spoke to that evening I begged them to look through my records to see all the things they had available to them to do to salvage that evenings mistake and I was completely ignored and made to feel very unimportant and I actually felt like I was the inconvenience to them. For several years I was a silver member, and then a gold member receiving many rewards nights for free for my business with them and treated with the utmost respect and consideration. The way I was spoken to by them, the way I was treated and have continued to be treated and the way this issue has been handled or I should say ignored is utterly unacceptable.
Not only is this wrong on a human, moral, and ethical level but legally speaking, just about every single one of my consumer protection rights were violated, various State statutes and Federal travel seller Acts, and specifically by legal definition the fraud and deceptive Practices Act and consumer protection laws were completely ignored and violated.

Perhaps you may not see this just reading this complaint but if you take any time at all to look up consumer protection rights you will see that the job and duty of an agent is to know the information and inform consumers of common questions during travel such as currency accepted and the local area of the hotel and at the hotel, the amount required at the hotel and any hotel policies that may negatively affect the clients travel experience. If I saw that when I looked on their website and needed their expertise which is why I called in, and yet they did not see this when booking the actual room for me, is this not relevant to their job??. Their representative had sufficient cause to know that the hotel would turn me away so how is this not negligence on their part.? They're also required to give due diligence to my request and as well as research and investigate what I am looking into and what I require so that nothing negatively affects my travel. What they did was a misrepresentation of the hotel, it was also a breach of disclosure and because they did it two times after assuring me due diligence was given to my request that it is an unlawful practice, which is a direct violation of the Consumer Fraud and deceptive Practices Act and the thing is, these agencies have insurance called error and omissions insurance which covers mistakes they may make and still they refuse to do anything about it.
Do you realize that as consumers we have the rights? That we have the right to be safe? We we also have the rights to stay informed by these agencies, to choose, although after you trust an agency like this and they have proven to be worthy of your trust it is hard to say you had a choice when you know this could have been fixed and they just chose not to do so, you have the right to be heard, you have the right to a satisfaction of your basic needs, you have the right to redress any issues that arise and you have the right to a healthy environment... Based on everything I've written above, do you feel my rights were considered during this business transaction or completely ignored?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have to admit - I could not read this all the way Through- it is way too long.

But from what I read- almost no hotel will allow you to reserve a room without a credit card, even if you are paying cash. You must give a credit card at check in and you can turn pay cash when you check out. They require a card to hold in case you damage the room.

Hotels.com had no obligation to find you a hotel if you wouldn’t give them a credit card. In essence you never had a reservation with them and you never had a contract with them for a room.

I’m not certain we can do anything here because without a credit card, most hotels will not accept a reservation. All you had to do was give them a credit card to book the room and when you arrived at the hotel told them not to charge it and paid cash.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Hotels.com is an online travel agency. What do you mean when you say you are a "member"? Did you make a reservation using hotels.com's website before you traveled? I don't understand your statement that you were in a cab trying to find a hotel. Were you trying to locate the hotel where you had a reservation?

Sorry, your post is very long and hard to follow.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Please make a list of the facts in chronological order. Be concise. I can't even tell what your issue is. We would like to help, but we need to understand the actual facts of what happened and what you're looking for. I'm very interested in how an online booking service gets blamed for whatever happened to you.

Mar 8, 2018
A long story!

If my summary is correct,

You called Hotels.com looking for a hotel that accepts cash only.

They directed you to two different hotels that ended up not taking cash only.

After paying for your cab to get to these hotels, you were left with no money.

You were then in a location, on the street, which you felt was very dangerous.

You called Hotels.com back and asked for a free room which you thought you would soon
qualify for through their rewards program, but hadn't yet. They refused.

You complained again after that night and were eventually given a $125 voucher as an apology.

First, I am glad nothing bad ended up happening to you after you were left on the street, I'm sure it was a scary situation.
One question, how would you have paid for the last hotel you went to if you had used all your money on the cabs? Personally,
I think this is all you will get from Hotels.com. They gave you incorrect information, or didn't understand what you wanted. You
are "out" the cab fare you spent and the $125 should make up for that. Even if they had not given you this bad information, there
still wouldn't have been a place to use just cash.

Sep 19, 2015
1. went to a party

2. Needed a hotel but had no credit card with available credit

3. Could not find a hotel online as the hotels wanted a credit (or even debit) to guarantee room and only had cash

4. Called Hotels.com and they tried to help you

5. Individual hotels refused to allow check in for cash only stay

Ran out of money in cabs trying to find hotels.

From what I understand Hotels.com requires a credit card to make a booking, whether it is pay now or pay later. It sounds as if they tried to help you but you did not meet the policies of the hotels. You could have called the hotels and asked from the cab about the cash payment policy.

Saying one could have been murdered does not help and could haves do not help an argument. Someone cut me off on the highway today, I could have run into a minivan and killed several children, but I did not, so I can not go after the bad driver for that.

I assume that you are quoting the IL Consumer Fraud Act; if so you are missing a key point --

The Section of the Act refers to the right of cancellation of sale or services; one has a 10 day cancellation period. The act does apply to:

This Section does not apply to any transaction
(a) made pursuant to prior negotiations in the course of a visit by the consumer to a retail business establishment having a fixed permanent location where the goods are exhibited, or the services are offered, for sale or lease on a continuing basis;
(b) in which the consumer is accorded the right of rescission by the provisions of the Consumer Credit Protection Act (15 U.S.C. 1635) or regulations issued pursuant thereto;
(c) in which the consumer has initiated the contact and the goods or services are needed to meet a bona fide immediate personal emergency of the consumer, and the consumer furnishes the person with a separate dated and signed personal statement in the consumer's handwriting describing the situation requiring immediate remedy and expressly acknowledging and waiving the right to cancel the sale within 3 business days;

Hotels.com does not advertise that they do cash bookings -- from their website:

If you select to pay later at the hotel itself, the hotel will charge you in the local currency of the relevant hotel at the time of your stay. Tax rates and foreign exchange rates could change in the time between booking and stay. You shall provide the details of your payment card and the supplier or Hotels.com will often have to verify: (i) the validity of the payment card (through a charge of a nominal value that is either refunded within a few days or deducted from the final payment due to the supplier) and, (ii) the availability of funds on the payment card (to be confirmed by the bank issuing your credit card). Hotels.com reserves the right to cancel your booking if full payment is not received in a timely fashion (please see Supplier Rules and Restrictions).

Hotels.com should not have deviated from their policy of having a credit or debit card number for a booking. Instead, they tried to help you but the individual hotels would not allow check -in because they only accepted payment by card.

I am not sure what more they can do for you. I am a little surprised that if a place was needed to stay why was this not taken care of before or during the party, and instead in a taxi, and why there was no attempt to call the hotels themselves after seeing that it was not possible to book on website without a credit/debit card.
Instead, Hotels.com tried to help and now they are at fault?

Oct 13, 2015
If I'm reading this correctly, you were in a strange city with very little cash, no available credit, and no place to spend the night. After dealing with hotels.com, you ended up in a strange city with very very little cash, no available credit, and no place to spend the night. It sounds to me like you were in a precarious situation already, and hotels.com wasn't able to bail you out of it. It sounds to me like they really tried to help you but weren't able to.

Jun 11, 2018
Just before Mother's Day this year, I was in a cab and doing my best to find a hotel room online at hotels.com. I had only cash available to me and no money on my credit card, and I knew I needed to pay at the hotel when I arrived. I was having absolutely no luck and did not have the time to look at every single hotel in the area I was headed to so I called hotels.com and advised their expert booking agent advised to make sure I had a room that would accept my cash and yet would allow me to pay at the hotel and I told them I was already in a cab on my way there. To make a long story short they sent me to the first hotel and then a second hotel and neither Hotel would accept cash they both had signs that predominately advised they took only credit cards. I have to say right here that the calls I made to hotels.com after this point in the evening, where I spoke to a manager, and a supervisor in customer service, they both were kind enough to offer to fix this problem and get me a room if I would just give them my credit card number so they could book it! Does this mean to you , as it does to me, that I was not being paid any attention to?!
After looking at my confirmation receipt later on I noticed that while the representative told me she put in the notes that I would be arriving at the hotel soon and will be paying cash, and that was definitely there, that both above and below that were there Hotel policy stating they took no cash, only credit cards and that they did not have to accommodate any special requests if it violated Hotel policy or was not available at the time. This was the reason why I called in because I could not find what I was looking for online by myself I needed to have them look for me as the hotel experts and find me exactly what I required.
Not only did they not do that but they sent me to two separate hotels spending all the available cash I had on cabs, and refuse to do anything to correct the situation that they had placed me in. I was now in a strange city, alone with no place to stay after trying to book two rooms with hotels.com, I had no cash as I used every penny I had taking cabs to where hotels.com told me to go, and I was left on the street very cold and alone and scared to death. I was crying and I knew from past experience and other business transactions with hotels.com that they were able to comp a room or at least pay half of the rate, at least that was before I went to the second hotel and spent the rest of my money. I had a free night coming in the next month and had redeemed numerous rewards nights in the past, so I requested that they offer me that free night for that evening and I would give it up when it came up the next month and they refuse to do that. I asked to speak to a female manager or female and authority and was told they were not available and later,that but there were absolutely no female managers.
The situation I was left in as I said was me alone on a chilly night, I was just in a dress and heels from a party I had just left, I now had no money on my person and I am sitting on the side of a road holding my bags, and I was in an area that I was aware by watching the local news had had 10 random shootings in the last 10 days for various reasons so the likelihood of me being harmed on that evening in one way or another was a very real and great risk. I made another call to hotels.com, crying yet trying to stay calm I was not screaming or cursing, at this point I was begging them to keep me safe because I had follow their advice and was now in this position. I was told there was nothing they would do, not nothing they could do but nothing they would do, it was a choice to not help me. (I must reiterate right here, I readily admit I am not an attorney and perhaps and misquoting though I don't think I am, but section c of the Consumer Fraud and deceptive Practices Act States it is fraud and deception if incorporation does not act when a "consumer initiates contact with that service and advises them that more services were needed to meet a bona fide immediate personal emergency", I'm pretty sure this qualified as exactly that, and not only that it was caused by them!)
the next day I called toto talk to someone I hoped was higher in authority I was once again told there was nothing they could do, and there was nothing they were going to do about it though they did offer a voucher the evening before and they tried to drop the value but then they raised it slightly I was told if I continue to complain they would take it away completely and I could have nothing. I had no way to get home and no way to get to my business appointments that morning which was the only reason I was traveling in the first place.
Since then I have made numerous calls, emails and messaging to their booking agents and other departments only to be told the same thing over and over again... They were sorry for the INCONVIENCE but they're not going to do anything more about it and as far as they're concerned the situation is closed. They did not apologize they have made no effort to arbitrate or allow me any type of redress, I have asked several important questions that they have avoided and not offered any response to, I have requested much of this information in writing which I am entitled to and they refused to give it to me. I've also requested certain information from them such as what trade group they belong to, and what their policy is on how they deal with consumer complaints regarding their own service and also what options are available to them when it comes to giving someone correcting a an issue that occurs whether with their service or with the hotel itself .
Also, just to let you know the voucher which started at $50 is now up to $125 but they claim no responsibility and told me if I have problem booking a hotel using the voucher please feel free to call in as one of their experts will be happy to assist me! is that not what I did that evening and look where they're experts put me??!! The last message I had from hotels.com was from there consumer relations department where they advised me that was as high as my complaint could go, that there was no phone in their corporate office and no way for them or I to contact anyone in their corporate office. That no managers wish to speak with me and would tell me nothing different than the consumer relations department was telling me. They are consumer relations department even asked me what I felt was adequate compensation even though they had offered $125 voucher? I answered their question with another one, suppose I had been one of those 10 random shootings to make it a total of 11? Or I'd been harmed in some other way say kidnapped or raped? What would their compensation be to my family when the police told them that they had put me in that situation and that that had occurred? I just wanted to know what their compensation to my family would have been... I would truly love an answer to that question but it has been ignored.
the last communication I had was from the consumer relations department again where quoted me their policy which states that "hotels.com is not liable for any fraudulent or erroneous or breaches, committed by their vendors or suppliers."
Which tells me that not one staff member at hotels.com that I spoke to is listening to me or reading any note they are keeping or seriously concerned about what they could have potentially caused, the Fatal danger they put me in, with their and different and impersonal attitudes and because of their negligent Misrepresentation of their vendors service, again, which was the specific reason for my call to the "Obvious Hotel Experts"!
I still shake when I think about that evening and my children spent Mother's Day in tears thinking that they might not have seen me again. The hotels that hotels.com represented that evening did absolutely nothing wrong, and we're actually quite distressed about how they were being misrepresented by hotels.com and genuinely concerned for my well-being, but their hands were tied and there was nothing they could do for me. That I understood. Hotels.com refuses to allow anyone in authority to speak with me and I have both requested and finally demanded to speak with a female corporate officer who has some Authority there and have been told there are none.
Now I want it very clear, that I am not a woman who complains, or whines when things go wrong, or immediate seeks to Sue someone for a simple mistake that could happen to anyone. I had been a member of hotels.com for over 5 years, and I have referred hundreds of people to them because they have both impressed and satisfied me as a member every single time I have used them. Anytime I had even the slightest problem at a hotel, they immediately made a call and corrected it and offered even more compensation to make sure my travel experience was perfect. That is why this is so upsetting this is so far to the other end of the spectrum where they actually put my life on the line, not figuratively I really mean literally put my life on the line. They have comped me a room over the smallest things that a Hotel did wrong and I even advised them they did not have to do that because it wasn't a big deal but they wanted to make sure my best interest were looked after, which is why I remained a member and continued to send other people to them for the best vacation possible. Every person I spoke to that evening I begged them to look through my records to see all the things they had available to them to do to salvage that evenings mistake and I was completely ignored and made to feel very unimportant and I actually felt like I was the inconvenience to them. For several years I was a silver member, and then a gold member receiving many rewards nights for free for my business with them and treated with the utmost respect and consideration. The way I was spoken to by them, the way I was treated and have continued to be treated and the way this issue has been handled or I should say ignored is utterly unacceptable.
Not only is this wrong on a human, moral, and ethical level but legally speaking, just about every single one of my consumer protection rights were violated, various State statutes and Federal travel seller Acts, and specifically by legal definition the fraud and deceptive Practices Act and consumer protection laws were completely ignored and violated.

Perhaps you may not see this just reading this complaint but if you take any time at all to look up consumer protection rights you will see that the job and duty of an agent is to know the information and inform consumers of common questions during travel such as currency accepted and the local area of the hotel and at the hotel, the amount required at the hotel and any hotel policies that may negatively affect the clients travel experience. If I saw that when I looked on their website and needed their expertise which is why I called in, and yet they did not see this when booking the actual room for me, is this not relevant to their job??. Their representative had sufficient cause to know that the hotel would turn me away so how is this not negligence on their part.? They're also required to give due diligence to my request and as well as research and investigate what I am looking into and what I require so that nothing negatively affects my travel. What they did was a misrepresentation of the hotel, it was also a breach of disclosure and because they did it two times after assuring me due diligence was given to my request that it is an unlawful practice, which is a direct violation of the Consumer Fraud and deceptive Practices Act and the thing is, these agencies have insurance called error and omissions insurance which covers mistakes they may make and still they refuse to do anything about it.
Do you realize that as consumers we have the rights? That we have the right to be safe? We we also have the rights to stay informed by these agencies, to choose, although after you trust an agency like this and they have proven to be worthy of your trust it is hard to say you had a choice when you know this could have been fixed and they just chose not to do so, you have the right to be heard, you have the right to a satisfaction of your basic needs, you have the right to redress any issues that arise and you have the right to a healthy environment... Based on everything I've written above, do you feel my rights were considered during this business transaction or completely ignored?
perhaps you are right, and it is too long, and yet for being as long as it is and trying to get in all the details, I did forget to mention that I gave them a credit card number to hold the reservation, I told them honestly there was absolutely no money on the credit card but at least they had a number to keep the booking and guarantee the room but I could not charge on the card for the room without money available on it. Hotels.com New this is I informed them first thing when I made the call and kept reminding them of the same fact, and if it were the case that there are never rooms available to rent in that way, wouldn't you think the hotel experts would have made me aware of that immediately and they're sorry they cannot help me? besides that, and as they have provided my travel Arrangements for over 5 years and there are many other bookings that I made in precisely the same way so I know that it can be done. I could not find a hotel myself on their website that would accommodate this on such that would accommodate this on such short notice which is why I called them directly. From a corporation that proudly declares themselves the obvious experts on wouldn't they be obligated to inform me of that fact if it were true? and if I had no contract with them, why would they offer me a voucher to compensate for something that never existed? if I'm wrong I'm happy to admit it... And you said it's too long but there's even more still missing to the story to keep it as short as I can make it

Jun 11, 2018
perhaps you are right, and it is too long, and yet for being as long as it is and trying to get in all the details, I did forget to mention that I gave them a credit card number to hold the reservation, I told them honestly there was absolutely no money on the credit card but at least they had a number to keep the booking and guarantee the room but I could not charge on the card for the room without money available on it. Hotels.com New this is I informed them first thing when I made the call and kept reminding them of the same fact, and if it were the case that there are never rooms available to rent in that way, wouldn't you think the hotel experts would have made me aware of that immediately and they're sorry they cannot help me? besides that, and as they have provided my travel Arrangements for over 5 years and there are many other bookings that I made in precisely the same way so I know that it can be done. I could not find a hotel myself on their website that would accommodate this on such that would accommodate this on such short notice which is why I called them directly. From a corporation that proudly declares themselves the obvious experts on wouldn't they be obligated to inform me of that fact if it were true? and if I had no contract with them, why would they offer me a voucher to compensate for something that never existed? if I'm wrong I'm happy to admit it... And you said it's too long but there's even more still missing to the story to keep it as short as I can make it
and I can pretty much see where this is going already, because it's too long to read it must be ridiculous, it's not worth hundreds of millions of dollars, their time is more valuable than my life. I accept that, but I'm not wrong and all I can say is I truly tried to make it as short as possible even then a lot of details are missing but no one will talk with me or time line this and see how very dangerous this Behavior could be to the public in general. But I do truly appreciate your professional opinion thank you for taking the time to read it as much as you could.

Jun 11, 2018
I was out business networking and his social setting and made three appointments for the next morning
Rather than make a three-hour round-trip I decided to book a room as I had enough to book the room in cash

Hotels.com has a membership you can sign up for it is free to join and it gives you perks like exclusive deals and premium service when you call.

Hotels.com made this booking using my credit card that had no funds available and they were well aware of that fact, everyone is focused on that one fact and I'm sorry for a long story, that one of the facts you all needed, I left out.

This was a real booking as I had a confirmation number and online receipt and had to be cancelled at the hotel by the hotel itself without cost due to my inconvenience

( I did not want a free room as I said I had American Cash Money, apparently something that has absolutely no value in the business world at all anymore! If hotels.com knew I had no money and that my card did not have sufficient funds, and if they knew their own vendors policies, why send me to a hotel at all? Why take my credit card number? Why tell me they wrote notes for the hotel to read to assure my check in upon arrival? And if they are willing to offer a voucher for $125, how does that make any sense when the room that evening would have only been $70? They made absolutely no money off of this transaction and it actually cost them more then it would have if they provided it that evening.

So they're just trying to help me and they have no obligation to give me fair and true information, even though all there commercials say they are the Obvious hotel experts , by agreeing to help me at all they have no obligation to follow through with due diligence. I'm the fool for not calling the hotels myself, and for trusting a company that has proven it can be counted on for my travel needs for over 5 years.
Tired, and just wanting to lay down at the end of a long day, knowing what a tight situation I was in and letting them know the same, because I knew there was a chance I could not be helped, instead of telling me the truth and letting me find another solution, it's alright that they used my own ignorance against me. And once they and I were aware the even more desperate situation I now found myself in, I should have thanked them kindly and again call the hotel for myself. But silly me when they offered to make it right and said they would investigate and find a hotel to make it right, who can believe I trusted them again?

Jun 11, 2018
I understand most of what you are all telling me... Was someone please explain this?

How are they helping me by sending me places that they're fully aware cannot accept my currency? They are the expert in these things how can they be the experts if they send people places they cannot go? From the moment I made the phone call a simple "we cannot help you that is not available anywhere" would have changed everything!! Based on their representation I change the way I would have acted and my situation was greatly altered due to trusting them. If they even given me a half of it thought that this may not go through but they assured me it they knew what they were doing. How did that help me? My point is that I was already in a tough situation for myself, I'm fully aware of that, as I made you all aware of it, and as I made them aware of that and hoped they could work with those limitations, how does what they did help me in any way at all?

Jun 11, 2018
And why recommend a second establishment and tell me they had researched it and this 1 would definitely accept my currency as they checked it out fully to correct the mistake, knowing full well again as the experts it would not? Please tell me how that was help to me?

Jun 11, 2018
you are the only people I have to ask these questions because hotels.com will not answer them and I'm not asking them to be difficult I'm asking them to quite honestly get information and learn... If they gave me a voucher immediately after the first hotel why not allow me to use it that evening knowing I was about to go without a place to stay? Did that help me in some way I'm missing? On even a basic human level is that the right thing to do and I just don't see it? Why do they give me this voucher at all when obviously my satisfaction with their service was not important enough to them them to help me not be in the position I was in

Feb 23, 2018
Hotel.com cannot force a hotel to accept a credit card with insufficient funds to hold a room. It appears that they tried, but the hotels were not willing to take the risk. You claim that they put you in danger, but as far as I can tell you put yourself in the dangerous situation and then expected Hotel.com to bail you out. The fact that they are offering you anything at all is unbelievable to me.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Using a credit card with no available credit is the same as not having one. If you couldn’t book the reservation on hotels.com- they weren’t obligated to do anything else for you. You were not contracted with them to get a hotel.

A hotel always will put a hold on a credit card for the amount of the cost of the room at a minimum. This is to prevent you from going to the desk at check out and saying “oops, I only have $40 for my $300 hotel bill” or if you totally trash the room, having no means to obtain damages from you.

If you had a case- trust me we would tell you exactly where to go for help and assist but we also cannot advocate with our contacts in a case that has no merit. You had no contract with hotels and they had no obligation to help you.

They did way more than they needed to by trying to guide you and giving you a credit when you never had a contract.

When traveling, you must have a valid credit card at check in even if you plan on paying cash.

Sep 19, 2015
Even when paying cash many hotels have a policy that a viable credit/debit card must be presented. Each hotel has a different policy as to how much of a deposit they need to hold for incidentals or damages.

One cannot know the policy for every hotel in every city. One can debate what it means to be an expert but it is impossible to know everything.

They tried to help in a situation which was against their policy which required a issuable credit card. Just having a number is not enough it has to have sufficient available funds. That is what seems to the problem

I doubt they will try to help anyone in a similar situation again as it cost them.

Vouchers often have to be approved and not done on the spot.

It is unrealistic to blame Hotels.com for trying to help you. Your lack of available credit is likely what did you in and hotels.com has no way of knowing how much available credit each hotel wants.

This may be the time to think whether it is worthwhile to go to a party/networking event hours from home with only $70 to your name.

I did some pretty reckless things when traveling when I was in my 20s — but I recognize that now and I recognized it then. And when

Is it hotels.com fault that you decided to stay somewhere after a party/networking event with no available credit and only 70 for a hotel room? No.
They tried to help and you did not meet the financial criteria of the hotels at check in; each hotel sets its own policy. You already admitted being in a cab headed to a certain area while trying to book a room. Hotels.com made reservations but the hotels rejected you because of financial issues.

Mar 17, 2015
I think you got the voucher to make you stop calling and complaining and because you have been a long term customer. I do not think you received the voucher due to Hotels.com mistake. I do not think your rights were violated.

This does not fall under the consumer protection act. You had no viable reservation, there was no misrepresentation, there was no fraud.

I am not sure why you did not call the hotel before going there in a costly cab ride to make sure they would take cash with a maxed out credit card.

I know you want the company to have compassion and a heart, but that is not why the company is in business. Calling after hours, even at a large company that may have service agents 24/7, there may not be a high enough manager available to override the system, as you were asking. Sure, there are customer service representatives available, but not all levels of management may be there during off-peak business hours.

I am unclear as to why making sure you had a credit card with sufficient credit is the fault of hotels.com and not yours. There are probably some hotels out there that do accept a cash reservation, but they are probably not on hotels.com since this is an online business and one in which you would need a credit card to make the booking.

From what you have said, I am guessing that the agents you were speaking to at hotels.com checked to see if you could pay in cash, but did not make you aware that the room still had to be guaranteed by a credit card. When you arrived at the hotel and would not give the actual hotel the credit card, or the hotel attempted to run it, and it came back denied, that is when your attempted booking failed. Being that it was late at night, again, the hotels may have not been fully staffed, so there was no one with enough authority to allow you to book with cash only. Many hotels do not want to keep cash on hand as they would be vulnerable to robberies by keeping large amounts of cash on hand.

I do feel for you, you did not plan on staying, did not plan to have to pay for a hotel, but those are your mistakes, not hotels.com. I would agree with the others, take this as a life lesson, in which you somehow received a $125 voucher, I wish my life lessons came with a payment, and move on. I do not think further communication with hotels.com is going to produce any results, you may keep venting to them if you like, but I do not think they are going to offer you any more than they already have. I do not think you have a case to sue them. If you do not like how they conduct business, no longer use them.

Jun 11, 2018
Hello, is this hotels.com?

Has anyone read any of my responses? Just curious...

To the comment from my mom about only having $70 on me I never said that was all I had I said that was what the hotel room would have cost the first one. So who said I went out with only $70 on me and telling me it was Reckless? What was Reckless was actually taking that cab an hour and a half away not getting enough sleep, and then trying to do three and a half hours I'm driving the next day, expensive, and being tired in the morning for not getting enough sleep or find an affordable Hotel, which hotels.com has never let me down finding one no matter the time no matter the day that suits my needs whether cash credit card. I'm a single mother trying to run a business and I'm always trying to save as much as I can. And I made three new clients that evening and had appointments to sit down with them the next morning. My reasoning using hotels.com at that time we're solid, safe and frugal, pardon me. I do what I have to do and I expect the people around me who take on certain roles to do what they have to do. Hotels.com has always been the hotel expert and they put me everywhere I requested before. Why can't anyone answer my simple question? How did it help me for the representative send me to a hotel knowing full well there policy was not in my best interest? I do not want her to change their policy or fight it I did not ask that. If there was no such thing wouldn't the expert have told me she's unable to complete my booking as no such Hotel exist, instead of all of you?

and I did not try to pay for the room with a credit card with insufficient funds. I told the representative there were no funds on it but if they had to have a number then I would give her my card but it could not be charged for anything not by her or by the hotel! I made that very clear! Hence the note on the booking that I would be paying in cash and arriving soon! As soon as I got there hotels.com called and told them I would be paying cash and the hotel said no she won't hotels.com said we want her to and she needs to and they said too bad I did not ask for any of that. That was not my choice I had no say in the matter I wanted a hotel that took cash the end! Why couldn't anyone just say they couldn't find one instead of run me around when they already knew I was in a tight situation!

Jul 13, 2016
@royaljewels-
Hotels.com did nothing wrong. It is a business, not a membership club. Hotels do not operate cash businesses any more. As many have explained, you will need a credit card (with funds available) to at least hold the room. Because in the past, hotel guests have damaged or run up high bills without the ability to pay, hotels now require a credit card to have a certain amount of funds available at check in. It does not matter that you are an honest person who would never damage a room, or skip out on a bill. Hotels cannot trust anyone anymore.

Because it was late at night, neither the hotels nor Hotels.com had supervisors that could over-ride company policies.

In this situation, feeling unsafe, you could have gone to an all night restaurant, or to the local police station to inquire about a local women's shelter that might have a safe and free bed for you--bonus, since you could donate some of your cash to the shelter.

Status
Not open for further replies.