Hotels.com fiasco cost me $$$

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 6, 2021
Houston, TX
So I am still confused about insuring virus-related problems. I did catch the virus in Wuhan, China November 2019. It was like a bad cold, I missed Hong Kong so I could stay in bed and get better before the flight home. Disappointing, but not dreadful. If I get sick, I have trip insurance. Does "covid insurance" cover expenses if I'm not sick but can't take the trip for some reason "due to Covid"? What kind of expenses would I have incurred that insurance would cover? Sorry to be so dense.
Costa Rica’s policy covered necessary medical care, additional out-of-hospital lodging, and medical evacuation. It only kicks in if you show the symptoms while you are in country. It’s a glorified medical insurance policy.

I don’t know any of the details of policies that allow for cancellation; CR’s policy did not provide that option.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
can't take the trip for some reason "due to Covid"?
What Covid related thing would keep you from flying?

I did catch the virus in Wuhan, China November 2019
You were ever so lucky. I personally had friends rack up over 100.000 bucks in treatments for Covid and those that died ( many of these insurance policies would cover the very expensive cost of getting your body back from somewhere overseas to your family here).
Did you click on any of the companies offering this kind of insurance?
Many have easy to find listings of what they do or do not pay.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If you developed Covid and couldn’t travel, most travel insurance covers this as an illness. If you are afraid of developing Covid while traveling and want to cancel or if your destination closes because of a Covid outbreak after you book, that usually is not covered unless you buy a CFAR policy.
That's pretty much what I thought, Neil. I can always pay for quarantine-required lodging and that kind of thing. If I already have insurance for "everything", then I wouldn't need other coverage. Probably. Thanks for the good straight answer.

Reactions: Neil Maley

GAT

Apr 23, 2018
Thanks. To me this is more of on the hotel itself than hotels.com, since I was able to get refunds for all other nonrefundable reservations made for the same trip. What I did was contact all hotels to explain the situation. All authorized exceptions in good faith except the hotel in Athens.
I haven't read through the rest of the thread yet, but several of your comments prompt me to ask: were all the other Greece hotels booked through hotels.com or directly with the hotels? If the former, you might be able to leverage hotels.com by pointing that out in your appeal to their higher-ups. If the latter, I guess, unfortunately, it's an expensive lessons learned about using online intermediaries. Had the hotel received your money directly from you, they might have been more inclined to give it back. And if not, possibly your credit card appeal might have had a better chance. I realize my comments will be of scant consolation, especially since the amount is so significant. I feel for you.

I haven't booked a hotel since the onset of COVID, but before then, I'd check hotels.com's price against the hotel's website and if feasible, I'd call the hotel desk and ask them if they would meet the price. They usually agreed, since it saved them the commission. I did this successfully with hotels in Sienna and Florence in 2019.

Reactions: jsn55

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
If the former, you might be able to leverage hotels.com by pointing that out in your appeal to their higher-ups
Not sure if that could do anything. The greek government passed new rules allowing Greek hotels and airlines to only offer travel credits and no refunds. If the hotel will not refund Hotels dot com then they will not refund the OP.

Reactions: VoR61

GAT

Apr 23, 2018
Not sure if that could do anything. The greek government passed new rules allowing Greek hotels and airlines to only offer travel credits and no refunds. If the hotel will not refund Hotels dot com then they will not refund the OP.
Yes, understood. But the OP said the hotel and the OTA were playing the old hide the wienie game, so we don't know who has the OP's money. I'm a believer in trying all angles, not just assuming something won't work. Prbably a lost cause, but who knows?

Reactions: Comicman and jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Yes, understood. But the OP said the hotel and the OTA were playing the old hide the wienie game, so we don't know who has the OP's money. I'm a believer in trying all angles, not just assuming something won't work. Prbably a lost cause, but who knows?
So true, never ever give up. No matter how dire the situation, no matter what kind of advice you get, don't give up. I'll admit during this virus disaster we see few miracles, but @Neil Maley has a very wise saying "You for sure won't get satisfaction if you never ask for it".

GAT

Apr 23, 2018
So true, never ever give up. No matter how dire the situation, no matter what kind of advice you get, don't give up. I'll admit during this virus disaster we see few miracles, but @Neil Maley has a very wise saying "You for sure won't get satisfaction if you never ask for it".
That's so true as well, JSN. As my Scots father used to say, "You won't catch any fish if your line ain't in the water." Cheers to all, and Good Luck to the OP in all your future travels. If I remember your original post, you said you were doing this for a group of deaf folks. If you were doing this as a volunteer, Kudos to you. (And perhaps, depending on the circumstances, you can treat the loss as a charitable deduction on your tax return. Just trying tom think outside the box here.)