Hotels.com fiasco cost me $$$

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 29, 2021
The hotel keeps saying I have to deal with hotels.com, and when I talk to hotels.com they insist they cannot do anything without the hotel's approval. It's kinda a vicious circle they put me in.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
The problem that with a non refundable rate the hotel must want to give a credit for a future stay. If this hotel does not want to they do not have to. As said before this is the risk of booking a non refundable rate.
Remember the hotel still had expenses to pay and Covid was not their fault. Many hotels did what they thought was the right thing and took a loos to provide credits or let you rebook the stay. Some refunded ( especially those that had refundable rates).
In this case I think Hotels.com did not cancel for 2 reasons.
1) If they canceled they would not get a refund from this hotel.
2) Were hoping the hotel would close for the dates the OP was staying there and thus be due a refund.

Apr 29, 2021
The only lesson I get from all this is to avoid third parties like the plague and deal directly with hotels. I can safely assume the hotel in Athens would have treated me better if I booked directly with them. Bottom line - I'm out $3.2k. Thanks all for your attempts to help. May this be a lesson to whoever reads this. Cheers

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The only lesson I get from all this is to avoid third parties like the plague and deal directly with hotels. I can safely assume the hotel in Athens would have treated me better if I booked directly with them. Bottom line - I'm out $3.2k. Thanks all for your attempts to help. May this be a lesson to whoever reads this. Cheers
The real lesson is never book a nonrefundable rate. It doesn’t matter if you book third party or directly - nonrefundable is exactly that. But even if you had booked a refundable rate, Greece enacted a law that the hotel didn’t have to provide a refund, just a credit. I have the same issue with a Greek cruise - we had a refundable deposit and the cruise line wouldn’t refund us, only gave us a credit.

Apr 29, 2021
The real lesson is never book a nonrefundable rate. It doesn’t matter if you book third party or directly - nonrefundable is exactly that. But even if you had booked a refundable rate, Greece enacted a law that the hotel didn’t have to provide a refund, just a credit. I have the same issue with a Greek cruise - we had a refundable deposit and the cruise line wouldn’t refund us, only gave us a credit.
At least you got a credit. Hotels.com was never explicitly clear about the possibility to have a credit until it was too late. They kept dangling the "cancel at your own risk" carrot in front of me without confirming that a credit would be provided if I chose to cancel.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Even with that, the hotel still might not have offered a credit because you booked a nonrefundable rate.

The travel industry has never had anything like this happen before and what it has shown is the flaws in booking and travel insurance. I think many people have learned a lesson about covering their behinds going forward.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Virus or no virus, anytime a traveller puts money into a non-refundable reservation, that money needs to be insured. You cannot rely on a hotel halfway around the world to have any concern for a guest who has to cancel. Everyone is suffering mightily from this prolonged lockdown. If they are moved to issue a credit, that is a bonus. I have travel insurance through my Chase Reserve, but it doesn't cover insolvency ... a big concern of any thinking traveller these days. The minute each cruise was cancelled over the last months, I rebooked it with the cruise line's guarantee that it could be cancelled without penalty. Once my money was out there at work again, I spent hundreds of dollars buying trip insurance that covered insolvency. Spending hundreds to cover tens of thousands seemed like a good idea to me.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018
Virus or no virus, anytime a traveller puts money into a non-refundable reservation, that money needs to be insured. You cannot rely on a hotel halfway around the world to have any concern for a guest who has to cancel. Everyone is suffering mightily from this prolonged lockdown. If they are moved to issue a credit, that is a bonus. I have travel insurance through my Chase Reserve, but it doesn't cover insolvency ... a big concern of any thinking traveller these days. The minute each cruise was cancelled over the last months, I rebooked it with the cruise line's guarantee that it could be cancelled without penalty. Once my money was out there at work again, I spent hundreds of dollars buying trip insurance that covered insolvency. Spending hundreds to cover tens of thousands seemed like a good idea to me.
Except I doubt travel insurance would have covered this, they have not been covering anything Covid related.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
Except I doubt travel insurance would have covered this, they have not been covering anything Covid related.
There are insurance companies that do cover Covid related claims ( you just have to make sure you have any of Covid coverage and what it covers).
Beyond this although cancel for any reason insurance does not usually pay 100% , any reason would include Covid related ones.

Reactions: jsn55 and VoR61

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
There are insurance companies that do cover Covid related claims ( you just have to make sure you have any of Covid coverage and what it covers).
Beyond this although cancel for any reason insurance does not usually pay 100% , any reason would include Covid related ones.
Just for curiosity's sake, what is considered a covid-related claim? If you're not sick but worried that you might get sick? Why would you plan travel at all if you're worried about getting sick? What is is involved in "covid coverage"?

Reactions: VoR61

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
Why would you plan travel at all if you're worried about getting sick?
A good point .... but ...
For those that do want to travel some insurance policies have coverage for Covid related problems. Some countries are requiring Covid coverage as a condition of entry to the country.
Think of the expense if you caught Covid on a vacation overseas. There are different covers that have different protections.
From covering the expense of quarantine ( If you get Covid , not if it is a requirement of entry). From covering your travel expenses if you get Covid before your trip. To cancellation insurance if you are no longer able to go to the country your trip is to ( though this insurance is not worth much as these days you get a credit if you can not travel to the place you are booked and you can not get paid from your insurance as you have already been paid).
Bellow is a link to Forbes' list of Covid policies.

Feb 3, 2017
For those that do want to travel some insurance policies have coverage for Covid related problems. Some countries are requiring Covid coverage as a condition of entry to the country.
Think of the expense if you caught Covid on a vacation overseas. There are different covers that have different protections.
From covering the expense of quarantine ( If you get Covid , not if it is a requirement of entry). From covering your travel expenses if you get Covid before your trip. To cancellation insurance if you are no longer able to go to the country your trip is to ( though this insurance is not worth much as these days you get a credit if you can not travel to the place you are booked and you can not get paid from your insurance as you have already been paid).

Interesting about some countries requiring such coverage; is there a source that lists which countries? Thanks!

Aug 29, 2018
Interesting about some countries requiring such coverage; is there a source that lists which countries? Thanks!
Yes.

There is a state department site: https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...es/COVID-19-Country-Specific-Information.html. This discusses the COVID situation in each country.

IATA has a site: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

Click on a country to get specific entry requirements.

General caveat: Rules may change quickly in response to outbreaks.

Reactions: Comicman and VoR61

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco

So I am still confused about insuring virus-related problems. I did catch the virus in Wuhan, China November 2019. It was like a bad cold, I missed Hong Kong so I could stay in bed and get better before the flight home. Disappointing, but not dreadful. If I get sick, I have trip insurance. Does "covid insurance" cover expenses if I'm not sick but can't take the trip for some reason "due to Covid"? What kind of expenses would I have incurred that insurance would cover? Sorry to be so dense.

• Wow
Reactions: Skippy