Hotel reservation booked through Expedia at WRONG RATE

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 24, 2018
On May21st, I booked Ritz Carlton in Waikiki with Expedia (July 13-18th, 2018) because it was on a big sale.

After almost a month later, on June 17th, Expedia sent me an email saying that the price was wrong- there are two options for me; 1) cancel the booking, 2) pay the difference (approx 2,000USD!).

I have been sending emails and calling them but they have kept me wait and have not come up with their resolution.

My request is that they pay the difference of hotel charges because changing a price after one month is too late. Plus, I cannot reserve other hotels at this time because the prices went up.

Please kindly advice how I can get the result I desire. My reservation is on the 13 July so there is not much time left.

I am even thinking about writing to the company executives.

I appreciate your advice.

Sep 19, 2015
May I ask what the room rate was that was booked? Was this an obvious mistake rate? If you have 5 nights booked and the rate is increased by 2000, what was the original rate per room? Was it something like $140 per night that was an obvious mistake?

Somewhere there was a computer program error between Expedia and the Ritz. It may have been the ritz’s fault or maybe Expedia— but neither one is obligated to honor an obvious error.

Mar 17, 2015
If this was a true rate error (so low that you should have known and booked anyhow) then I think you may be stuck paying the rate difference. IF this was not an obvious error, I would ask to either split the difference or ask for a credit from Expedia as I think 30 days is too long for a rate error to go undetected. Now, the issue is that you are traveling soon and would like somewhere to stay and you are probably going to have to go through many people to get any help. I would make a refundable reservation at another hotel that you like as a backup to your current reservation, just be sure to cancel it if your current situation gets worked out.

Jun 24, 2018
Unfortunately, you are on your own to decide which of the two options they gave. We’ve had that happen before and their disclaimer states they are not responsible for pricing errors.

Wish we had better news for you. They won’t budge either:

Thank you for your response and for sharing article.

Jun 24, 2018
May I ask what the room rate was that was booked? Was this an obvious mistake rate? If you have 5 nights booked and the rate is increased by 2000, what was the original rate per room? Was it something like $140 per night that was an obvious mistake?

Somewhere there was a computer program error between Expedia and the Ritz. It may have been the ritz’s fault or maybe Expedia— but neither one is obligated to honor an obvious error.
Thank you for your response. Room rate was 200 USD per night but it clearly stated that 60-something % off... So i thought it was on sale..

Jun 24, 2018
If this was a true rate error (so low that you should have known and booked anyhow) then I think you may be stuck paying the rate difference. IF this was not an obvious error, I would ask to either split the difference or ask for a credit from Expedia as I think 30 days is too long for a rate error to go undetected. Now, the issue is that you are traveling soon and would like somewhere to stay and you are probably going to have to go through many people to get any help. I would make a refundable reservation at another hotel that you like as a backup to your current reservation, just be sure to cancel it if your current situation gets worked out.
Thank you for your advice! Maybe it was an obvious error but in this cas, 30 days is too long, I think.... So I deserve better than two options I was given this time,

Jun 24, 2018
In my opinion, 30 days is too long and they cannot just correct their rate at the last minute (reservation was less than one month ahead when they contacted me). It is obviously opportunity loss!

With this taken into account, I belive I deserve better resolution than what I was given now (cancel the reservation or pay the rate difference).

They have been holding onto this case for over a week- and I was told on the phone that they need more time for their final answer.
Can I expect that they are seriously discussing what they can do about my reservation? (Otherwise they can just force me two initial options) Or are they just too busy to come up with a conclusion?

Please tell me if there is anything I can do further to get a better resolution. Is writing to the corporate Executive meaningless??

Sep 19, 2015
In my opinion, 30 days is too long and they cannot just correct their rate at the last minute (reservation was less than one month ahead when they contacted me). It is obviously opportunity loss!

With this taken into account, I belive I deserve better resolution than what I was given now (cancel the reservation or pay the rate difference).

They have been holding onto this case for over a week- and I was told on the phone that they need more time for their final answer.
Can I expect that they are seriously discussing what they can do about my reservation? (Otherwise they can just force me two initial options) Or are they just too busy to come up with a conclusion?

Please tell me if there is anything I can do further to get a better resolution. Is writing to the corporate Executive meaningless??
What I am not certain is where the problem happened -- was it a travelocity tech error or hotel? If it was hotel computer system, travelocity may not want to be on the hook. Are you corresponding with travelocity or the hotel?

What makes this more complicated is this is not a normal Ritz hotel, these are resident hotels, I think where some people buy condo units -- I do not understand the structure of it but this is not a "normal" Ritz hotel.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Ira, I am stunned to learn that Expedia can make errors and the customer pays. This is crazy. Why would anyone use a service like this? I've always avoided these online booking services, no matter how slick their advertising is. You should definitely appeal to our Company Contacts, the customer service reps probably can't do anything anyway. What a shame. Did you receive an immediate confirmation of what you booked? I just don't see how they can then raise the price thirty days later. Three hours later, maybe, might be understandable. Another reason to book direct with hotels and airlines.

Jun 24, 2018
What I am not certain is where the problem happened -- was it a travelocity tech error or hotel? If it was hotel computer system, travelocity may not want to be on the hook. Are you corresponding with travelocity or the hotel?

What makes this more complicated is this is not a normal Ritz hotel, these are resident hotels, I think where some people buy condo units -- I do not understand the structure of it but this is not a "normal" Ritz hotel.
thank you for your response. I was told that most likely this happened because Ritz put the wrong rate. However it not a sure thing because i can only talk to the person from the call center(stationed in China, whereas a higher division is in Singapore I was told).
It is true that Ritz residences might work differently but I am thinking maybe I can talk to Ritz directly....

Jun 24, 2018
Ira, I am stunned to learn that Expedia can make errors and the customer pays. This is crazy. Why would anyone use a service like this? I've always avoided these online booking services, no matter how slick their advertising is. You should definitely appeal to our Company Contacts, the customer service reps probably can't do anything anyway. What a shame. Did you receive an immediate confirmation of what you booked? I just don't see how they can then raise the price thirty days later. Three hours later, maybe, might be understandable. Another reason to book direct with hotels and airlines.
Hi thank you for your comment. Yes maybe I i should contact company contacts. The thing is I can only talk to the call center in China. This case is handled in Singapore, I was told. I am not sure if I can talk this issue to headquarters in the US.

Sep 19, 2015
thank you for your response. I was told that most likely this happened because Ritz put the wrong rate. However it not a sure thing because i can only talk to the person from the call center(stationed in China, whereas a higher division is in Singapore I was told).
It is true that Ritz residences might work differently but I am thinking maybe I can talk to Ritz directly....
Is this Travelocity you are speaking with?

I am afraid that Travelocity and the Ritz will point finders at each other. And since RItz does not own the property but just manages it there may be more problems.

I am not optimistic but it could not hurt to write.

Jun 24, 2018
Is this Travelocity you are speaking with?

I am afraid that Travelocity and the Ritz will point finders at each other. And since RItz does not own the property but just manages it there may be more problems.

I am not optimistic but it could not hurt to write.
Thank you for your response. No I am talking to Expedia, not Travelocity.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Use our company contacts and write to Expedia. It can’t hurt- the worst they can say is no.

The reason it too so long to notify you is that when you book, names aren’t sent to the hotel right away. The hotel isn’t given the names until close to when you arrive, so that’s most likely when Ritz notified Expedia of the answer.

You may think 30 days is too long but it doesn’t change the fact that the terms and conditions state they aren’t responsible for errors.

You have to deal with Expedia, not the hotel diff try because you booked through Expedia.

Sep 19, 2015
Thank you for your response. No I am talking to Expedia, not Travelocity.
Oh sorry I do not know why I wrote Travelocity I was so suprised that call centers are in China and Singapore that I stopped thinkingz. Do write to Expedia, it could not hurt.

Aug 29, 2015
Did you also book air tickets through Expedia for those dates? If so, and you are willing to do a refund for your hotel, ask for the refund but also for your air tickets to be refunded since you now do not have a hotel to go with the air tickets.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you also book air tickets through Expedia for those dates? If so, and you are willing to do a refund for your hotel, ask for the refund but also for your air tickets to be refunded since you now do not have a hotel to go with the air tickets.
They will not refund the air. Once you are booked it’s non refundable after 24 hours. They’ll only get a credit less any cancellation fees. You want to find another hotel.

Mar 17, 2015
@ Neil - I actually think if he booked air at the time of the hotel or with the hotel that this may not be a bad argument. I realize Expedia's TOS states that they are not responsible for price errors, and now knowing why this "error" was not caught earlier, but I still think 30 days is too long to find a price error (still not sure whether this was a "fat finger" error, or not) and not help the customer out at all. The options given the OP, either pay or cancel, do not address cost increases of hotels in that 30 day period. Of course, my opinion changes if a person knew this was too good a deal to be true.