Hotel refuses partial refund so Expedia can not help me

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 20, 2015
I booked a one night room in Fernandina Beach, Fla hotel with Expedia. At 5am the in room refrigerator woke me up with loud vibrating. I tried everything, moving it, shutting the door over and over, propping it up. Nothing worked, I could not go back to sleep. I called the front desk and the woman told me the manager and the maintenance person were not there I would need to wait until 8am. I asked her to come hear the noise. She came and agreed it was very loud. She also tried to reduce the vibrating. Finally after much moving around the noise was reduced. I told her I wanted to ask for a partial refund since my sleep was ruined. She agreed and said she would tell the manager. She then told me I had to speak with Expedia since that is how I booked my room.
I called Expedia (it is now 6am) who put me on hold while they called the front desk. Expedia returned to say that since the hotel manager was not there I needed to call back on Monday.
I called on Monday and was again on hold for 10-15 minutes, Expedia returned to tell me the hotel manager was not available, he was dealing with an emergency. I called Expedia back Tuesday and was told the hotel manager would not provide partial or full refund. I protested, citing that the hotel clerk had agreed with me that the noise was loud and needed maintenance to fix. Expedia agreed to call the hotel again but again returned to inform me since the hotel manager would not approve the partial refund they would do nothing.
Why would I ever book with Expedia again? What do I do now?

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Did you try unplugging the fridge? When the clerk came to your room, did you ask her to accommodate you in a different room? Have you tried emailing or calling the hotel to speak to the manager directly? Also, it sounds like Expedia isn't the obstacle here because if you booked with the hotel directly, they still wouldn't refund your money. Specifically what amount are you looking for?

Last edited:

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
I once was in a room when the TV came on 2 am, waking me and the dead. I turned it off and the next day looked at the settings - it wasn't set to do anything (no sleep alarm, timer set, etc). So I called maintenance, who asked what I'd set on it (uh, nothing) and proceeded to take the same steps I did to solve the problem.

That night - same thing, TV came on. This time I unplugged the darn thing and left it that way for the rest of my week long stay. Annoying, but a blip on the radar that I only mentioned again at check out to give the hotel another chance to solve it prior to the next guest being disturbed.

5 am is early and without a doubt unpleasant, but I'm not sure it qualifies as "ruining" a night's sleep. If you had simply unplugged the fridge that would've solved the problem. In any event, Expedia isn't the problem but the hotel. They're going to be the ones authorizing any compensation for you. Expedia is just acting as a go between at this point. As an online agency, they're not historically responsive to customer complaints.

What hotel did you stay at? If it's a chain, we may be have corporate contacts you can appeal to.

One thing to keep in mind is that the hotel is already making a smaller profit since you booked via Expedia. Typically a hotels rates are very near an online travel agent such as Expedia's rate and the hotel is much, much more willing to accommodate special requests, partial refunds, etc when you book direct with them as they're making more of a profit margin. This probably explains the manager's reluctance in this matter.

Personally, I use Expedia to get an idea of availability and pricing, then go to the hotel's site directly and book. Something to keep in mind for the future or for anyone else reading this column.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have to agree with AAGK - unplugging the refrigerator would have stopped the noise.
The hotel clerk is not a manager and really shouldn't have spoken for the manager. The answer should have been I'll ask the manager.
Expedia can't do a thing for you and frankly, your request is rather petty since you could have unplugged the fridge and gone back to sleep. This is between you and the hotel manager - Expedia can't do anything if the hotel refuses to deal with you.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
ADVOCATE ADVICE
!. Book your hotels directly, confirm with them directly.
2. If you have a problem with your stay, it needs to be fixed in person.
3. Before you go down to the front desk, decide what compensation you want for your inconvenience.
4. Be polite and friendly, this is just a little business transaction. You booked the hotel to sleep in, your sleep was disturbed.
5. State your case to the highest level of manager you can find. If you have to repeat it several times, you'll get frustrated. Tell that person what you think is fair compensation.
6. Hotel people can never figure out what to do about an unfixable problem, you have to tell them what you'd like.

Sep 22, 2015
And what if the cord was not accessible? Turn the thing off at the thermostat. People who book thru 3rd party websites are cheap and then whine when they have too many layers of people to sift thru to get resolution, in MHO

Sep 8, 2014
Boston
And what if the cord was not accessible? Turn the thing off at the thermostat. People who book thru 3rd party websites are cheap and then whine when they have too many layers of people to sift thru to get resolution, in MHO
I don't believe it is appropriate to lump all people who use 3rd party websites together as cheap and whiny nor to criticize them on this forum.

Dec 24, 2014
I booked a one night room in Fernandina Beach, Fla hotel with Expedia. At 5am the in room refrigerator woke me up with loud vibrating. I tried everything, moving it, shutting the door over and over, propping it up. Nothing worked, I could not go back to sleep. I called the front desk and the woman told me the manager and the maintenance person were not there I would need to wait until 8am. I asked her to come hear the noise. She came and agreed it was very loud. She also tried to reduce the vibrating. Finally after much moving around the noise was reduced. I told her I wanted to ask for a partial refund since my sleep was ruined. She agreed and said she would tell the manager. She then told me I had to speak with Expedia since that is how I booked my room.
I called Expedia (it is now 6am) who put me on hold while they called the front desk. Expedia returned to say that since the hotel manager was not there I needed to call back on Monday.
I called on Monday and was again on hold for 10-15 minutes, Expedia returned to tell me the hotel manager was not available, he was dealing with an emergency. I called Expedia back Tuesday and was told the hotel manager would not provide partial or full refund. I protested, citing that the hotel clerk had agreed with me that the noise was loud and needed maintenance to fix. Expedia agreed to call the hotel again but again returned to inform me since the hotel manager would not approve the partial refund they would do nothing.
Why would I ever book with Expedia again? What do I do now?
Here's what I would do if you haven't already.
Go on the hotel website, find the contact us link and write a concise, polite email addressed to the manager. Say you'd like $x refunded because of the inconvenience. Hotel managers don't have time for phone calls but tend to be extremely sensitive to email complaints.
One time I sent a brief message to a hotel about finding someone's underwear in a drawer. I had a reply from the manager the next day.

Sep 22, 2015
I don't believe it is appropriate to lump all people who use 3rd party websites together as cheap and whiny nor to criticize them on this forum.
I thought about that later and my comment was inappropriate. However, I have found the discounts available from the changes to be good enough and makes claims easier

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
People who book thru 3rd party websites are cheap and then whine when they have too many layers of people to sift thru to get resolution, in MHO
Not totally true. Remember, the complaints you see here are a very small percentage of the millions of successful transactions made through OTA's. People don't come here to post their great experiences - they only come for problems.

What I believe is that consumers should fully understand the worst case scenarios and problems that can happen booking through an OTA and the limitations of customer service before they book. That way they aren't smacked in the face later on to find out that there is so much finger pointing or learning that OTAs have limited knowledge of how to fix problems that happen.

We once had someone we quoted air to that ended up booking their flight through an OTA when the OTAs price was $15 less than ours. I received a phone call from her the day before she was supposed to leave begging us to help her because she had just received an email from the OTA that her flight had been cancelled. The email said nothing about how to resolve it, or to even call them. Unfortunately, I couldn't do a thing for her but to advise her to get on the phone with the OTA.

Oct 20, 2015
Have returned from trip and reading all the advice and admonitions. Thanks for the constructive ideas.
I will repeat, the fridge was inside a wooden structure, pulling it out was not a good idea, I feared damaging the plug or the fridge in some way. Did not think (at 5am) to turn fridge off at thermostat, good idea (if it had one). lol
These are my takeaways.
  1. Think twice about using OTAs. I wasted lots of time and received no assistance.
  2. Next time will contact the hotel manager directly. Great advice on this from judyserienagy