Hotel Refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 14, 2018
My wife and I had a vacation planned to France in mid-May and had booked a Holiday Inn Hotel in Paris for three days. Two days before our departure, our son had a medical emergency that required immediate surgery. As his only care-givers, we had to cancel our trip and stay with him through his convalescence. Our reservations with Holiday Inn were non-refundable but we were hoping that under emergency circumstances like ours, that we might be eligible for some refund. We understand that non-refundable reservations eliminate frivolous bookings and cancellations but hope that refunds can be gotten for cancellations that are not frivolous. We had travel insurance for other parts of the trip (an all-inclusive tour) but the insurance did not cover the Holiday Inn hotel reservation.

In June, we sent a certified letter to the general Holiday Inn service address and included hospital and doctor documentation. To date, we have not received a response.

Has anyone had a similar issue and know whether/how we might be able to get a refund?

Dec 19, 2014
A polite letter to the general manager of the hotel may garner a goodwill adjustment.
However, if the hotel does not refund, it is within their legal right. In other words, it is fine to ask for an exception, but it should NOT be an expectation.

Sorry to hear about your son's medical procedure. Is he doing better?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is why you need to cover ever piece of your trip when you buy insurance. And don’t book nonrefundable rates.

I agree with Chris to try an email to the hotel manager and stating you mailed a letter in June but if they don’t agree- check the credit card you used to see if there is any coverage.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm glad your son is doing better. I know from personal experience how painful it is to cancel a trip to Paris. Holiday Inns are part of the InterContinental Hotels Group, a British corporation. They can be a little sticky about details ... but I think you have a chance to get a credit towards a future stay by dealing directly with the hotel. Most people who rise through the ranks of a large hotel chain got into the biz because they enjoy working with the public. Give them a call and find out the ownership/management heirarchy. Send your letter to the Front Desk Manager, and if no response, send it up the org chart, waiting a week between each. It would help if you have new dates for the trip. Be polite, patient and persistent. I'd be remiss if I didn't remind you not to make non-ref hotel reservations unless necessary; if so be sure they're insured. Best of luck, and please let us know the outcome.

Sep 19, 2015
Europeans tend to purchase travel insurance and may not understand why you did not for this portion of the trip and why you are asking for an exception.

It is even harder as you are asking for a refund and not a credit.

People generally pay more for the ability to cancel a reservation and not be charged.

Asking for a full refund may be asking too much.

Sep 27, 2017
Did you book this on your own, through a traditional travel agent, or through an online service like Expedia? Also, are you part of the IHG rewards club? These two issues may help in figuring out how to approach the matter.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you book this on your own, through a traditional travel agent, or through an online service like Expedia? Also, are you part of the IHG rewards club? These two issues may help in figuring out how to approach the matter.
If you booked a nonrefundable rate, you need insurance to reimburse a nonrefundable rate if you are sick and can’t travel.

You can certainly appeal and if you are an IHG club member who the high status that might help.

But Europe is much more unforgiving.

We do have company contacts for corporate. She can certainly try them as well. We never say never- we’ve seen many times a good letter works wonders

Sep 10, 2018
I never book a hotel with full payment or prepayment. I understand that hotels also need a guarantee of the arrival of guests, but I'm always afraid that I will not be able to get the money back

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I never book a hotel with full payment or prepayment. I understand that hotels also need a guarantee of the arrival of guests, but I'm always afraid that I will not be able to get the money back
Many hotels no longer offer cancellation up to the date of arrival so you need to be careful and read your reservation thoroughly before hitting the book button to make sure you understand the cancellation policies.