hotel peepholes too high for short people

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 19, 2014
As a 5' tall female, I share your concern!
My sister and I travel internationally. Shelves and clothing hangers were at 6' height at a condo in Austria. Light switches in Princeville, Kauai were at 5 1/2 ft. Things that others wouldn't notice, but with my disabled and 5 ft. tall sister, (and me at 5 ft.) we really notice. It's as if maybe the contractors/installers are all over 6 ft. tall and install for themselves. ;)

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Ladies we have spent a lifetime dealing with being "short" it's not a disability, it's simply a fact of life, and you figure ways to deal with it.

At my age I have stopped climbing on counter tops (not a pretty vision is it), hopping up does not seem as easy as it once was!
So ladies carry on and just drag that chair over and jump up ;)

Sep 18, 2014
Well sure it would, but consider the cost of doing this ... buying 100 stepstools per hotel would be far more affordable.

I travel with an inflatable lumbar pillow, a neck pillow for napping on the plane, a sound machine to block the hotel noise at night, my own hair care products, whatever I can't live without ... someone could invent a plastic stepstool with foldable legs and short people could just put it in their suitcase. Or, just don't open the door.

Sep 18, 2014
Well sure it would, but consider the cost of doing this ... buying 100 stepstools per hotel would be far more affordable.

I travel with an inflatable lumbar pillow, a neck pillow for napping on the plane, a sound machine to block the hotel noise at night, my own hair care products, whatever I can't live without ... someone could invent a plastic stepstool with foldable legs and short people could just put it in their suitcase. Or, just don't open the door.
Actually, there IS such a thing as a folding stepstool. We have one in our garage, but I don't remember where we got it ... may have been a dollar store? I'm guessing Amazon has them (they have everything!), and most home improvement stores probably do as well. Google it and see what happens.

And yes, I'm 5'3" as well. But I agree with several of the posters about not relying on the peephole if a stranger knocks on your hotel door.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
It seems life is full of odd little issues concerning height.
At 5'3"' my husband stands 1'1" taller than me.
It is useful for me to find him in a crowd, he can never find me.
I can have him reach into tall cabinet shelves with ease, whereas slow dancing is problematic.
I hate it when he squats way down when someone wants to take our picture, makes me feel juvenile.
He cannot lean back in airplane seats as his head/neck are way above the top of the seat back.
He is an architect, and cannot stand fully upright in most Frank Lloyd Wright houses, who at 5'8" designed with himself in mind.
We call him Frank Lloyd....WRONG.

Apr 19, 2016
Actually, there IS such a thing as a folding stepstool. We have one in our garage, but I don't remember where we got it ... may have been a dollar store? I'm guessing Amazon has them (they have everything!), and most home improvement stores probably do as well. Google it and see what happens.

And yes, I'm 5'3" as well. But I agree with several of the posters about not relying on the peephole if a stranger knocks on your hotel door.
I've seen them at Hobby Lobby and considered them for my kids to use in the bathroom (and then fold them out of the way), but then someone gave me a non-folding one. They looked something like the one in the link below, only in multiple colors, and I believe they cost less than $12.

http://www.staples.com/Simplify-Fol...annel:online&gclid=CP_449KRr8wCFQxahgodbbQEEw

Dec 19, 2014
Ladies we have spent a lifetime dealing with being "short" it's not a disability, it's simply a fact of life, and you figure ways to deal with it.

At my age I have stopped climbing on counter tops (not a pretty vision is it), hopping up does not seem as easy as it once was!
So ladies carry on and just drag that chair over and jump up ;)
OH OH>> I just got off using the cupboard drawers for "steps" and got off the countertops after pulling down some stored paper towels... ;) :) :)

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
OH OH>> I just got off using the cupboard drawers for "steps" and got off the countertops after pulling down some stored paper towels... ;) :) :)
I use spatulas and long spoons to wiggle stuff off shelves and fall the last 6 or so inches into my hand ;) it works usually!
We vertically challenged girls learn to compensate early on!

Mar 18, 2016
I can have him reach into tall cabinet shelves with ease, whereas slow dancing is problematic.
I hate it when he squats way down when someone wants to take our picture, makes me feel juvenile.
He cannot lean back in airplane seats as his head/neck are way above the top of the seat back.
He is an architect, and cannot stand fully upright in most Frank Lloyd Wright houses, who at 5'8" designed with himself in mind.
You are correct. In point of fact, the curving ramp at the Guggenheim Museum in Manhattan has sides which are so low they would never meet OSHA standards today. I'm fine with them, but were a taller person to lean over too far, he/she could easily fall over and down, down, down.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Dear Judy, Wow! So much stuff apart from clothing. Good for you. Me? I try to be more Zen. I travel with carry-on luggage only. Three weeks in Japan, three weeks in Argentina and Chile, ten-day cruise/tour to Alaska, etc. - all done with carry-on only.

By the way, each of the three hotels at which we stayed in Japan provided sleep clothing for use while staying. The knee length sleep shirt at the Conrad Tokyo was so nice, I bought one to bring home. 100% cotton. It now goes with me whenever I travel.
The utility of a peephole is only realized when one side can see out and the person they are looking at is the right height to see their face so as @Neil brilliantly said, it can be 4 feet tall, if the knocker is 6ft, same problem. I'm short and have never used a peephole, I just don't open the door. If you are not expecting something yell no thank you, put it under the door or leave it outside, please works as well. I think I wrote this but use your DO NOT DISTURB, then you know any knockers are not from the hotel.
you can also tell the desk at check in, no calls or visitors. Don't prop the door if you get ice, etc. There are many safety precautions we can control and usually don't.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
So I guess he's 6'3" ... I've been 6' since I was twelve, and I used to dislike the short girls taking up with men taller than 6' because there were fewer men for me to date. When I grew up (a term subject to opinion) I fell in love with a man who's 1/2" shorter and found out that height means nothing. Short girls are cute, tall girls are authoratative ... mostly. I was thinking of y'all as I reached for the shower head at a hotel the other night ... I could barely reach it for adjustment.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
So I guess he's 6'3" ... I've been 6' since I was twelve, and I used to dislike the short girls taking up with men taller than 6' because there were fewer men for me to date. When I grew up (a term subject to opinion) I fell in love with a man who's 1/2" shorter and found out that height means nothing. Short girls are cute, tall girls are authoratative ... mostly. I was thinking of y'all as I reached for the shower head at a hotel the other night ... I could barely reach it for adjustment.
Judy, if hubby can't fix for me there is always the old "jump & hit" move :)

Sep 22, 2015
After ESPN sportscaster Erin Andrews won her lawsuit against Marriott over someone videotaping her through the peephole on her door, I'm surprised hotels aren't removing them, rather making them easier to access. When I am traveling alone, I won't open the door unless I either have advance notice that from the hotel or I have gotten verification from the front desk.
I don't think she was filmed through the peep hole in her door. That would mean the peeper would be in the hallway. As I remember the story, the peeper drilled a hole in the adjoining wall

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is a wakeup call for short people ... YOU fit comfortably in an economy seat. mmb's husband and I can't even get our legs into the space between economy seats. As you have shown, you can fix problems creatively, but we cannot cut the length of our legs on an airplane. You're the lucky ones!

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
This is a wakeup call for short people ... YOU fit comfortably in an economy seat. mmb's husband and I can't even get our legs into the space between economy seats. As you have shown, you can fix problems creatively, but we cannot cut the length of our legs on an airplane. You're the lucky ones!
Well, our legs fit, but our heads are shoved forward due to those horrible molded "head rests." If I don't recline my seat, my head is jammed forward so my chin is in my neck. I can't watch the seatback video screen, or a laptop screen on my tray table. I'm sorry for whoever is behind me, but I *have* to recline my seat so my neck isn't contorted.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Well, our legs fit, but our heads are shoved forward due to those horrible molded "head rests." If I don't recline my seat, my head is jammed forward so my chin is in my neck. I can't watch the seatback video screen, or a laptop screen on my tray table. I'm sorry for whoever is behind me, but I *have* to recline my seat so my neck isn't contorted.
I thought I was the only one that had that trouble with airline seats. And really any chair with a head rest! I sooooo feel your pain ;)