hotel peepholes too high for short people

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Dear techno..guy: don't you think it would be better if hotels would just put those peepholes lower down on the door?
No, I don't. I think no matter where you put them some people won't be able to use them. Most are around 5.5'. Put them at 5' and the 4' tall folks cant see. Put them at 4' and the kids or smaller people still can't see, and now the average or tall can't see either. You say bend down, but its not as easy to bend down as you think if you're tall. At 6' Id probably have to get on my knees to effectively use a peephole at 4'. Even if you put in 2 per door there is still a usable range for them, though of course it would be bigger.

The peepholes are of dubious value anyway. They're actually dangerous since they give a false sense of security. The best method, regardless of if you can see or not, is what I described. As Christina noted, it's very easy to fake hotel name tags etc. Man or woman, tall or short, peephole or not, don't open the door to unexpected knocks.

This is what I personally would do if I ever got an unexpected knock, which I haven't.

If you believe peepholes are the best method, I'd recommend advocating for 2 per door, one at the standard 5.5' and one at a lower height, say 3.5'.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2016
No, I don't. I think no matter where you put them some people won't be able to use them. Most are around 5.5'. Put them at 5' and the 4' tall folks cant see. Put them at 4' and the kids or smaller people still can't see, and now the average or tall can't see either. You say bend down, but its not as easy to bend down as you think if you're tall. At 6' Id probably have to get on my knees to effectively use a peephole at 4'. Even if you put in 2 per door there is still a usable range for them, though of course it would be bigger.

The peepholes are of dubious value anyway. They're actually dangerous since they give a false sense of security. The best method, regardless of if you can see or not, is what I described. As Christina noted, it's very easy to fake hotel name tags etc. Man or woman, tall or short, peephole or not, don't open the door to unexpected knocks.

This is what I personally would do if I ever got an unexpected knock, which I haven't.

If you believe peepholes are the best method, I'd recommend advocating for 2 per door, one at the standard 5.5' and one at a lower height, say 3.5'.
It is hard for me to sympathize with you having to bend down, or get on your knees. I'll put it down to tall people having trouble relating to us shorter folk.

I would never use just the peephole for security, but it would be nice for it to be usable. If unsure, I would then call down to the front desk.

And while we are at it, why are showerheads placed so high that it is well nigh impossible for a non-basketball player to reach them in order to adjust?

Feb 9, 2016
I am not a 'little person.' I am 5'3" tall.
Sincerely, my post was not intended to categorize you or comment on your stature. I apologize if you were offended. I was merely trying to point out that if you feel unsafe because the peephole is too high you have a good chance of requesting, and obtaining, a stepstool for your room.This, to me, would be a better choice than booking an ADA room and, therefore, not leaving it vacant for a disabled person. But that is just my thought

Last edited:

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
It is hard for me to sympathize with you having to bend down, or get on your knees. I'll put it down to tall people having trouble relating to us shorter folk.

I would never use just the peephole for security, but it would be nice for it to be usable. If unsure, I would then call down to the front desk.

And while we are at it, why are showerheads placed so high that it is well nigh impossible for a non-basketball player to reach them in order to adjust?
I do understand what shorter folk have to go through, what I think you're failing to understand is that taller folks have issues, too, and that fixtures in hotel rooms and other areas are installed to serve the average population. The tall and the short both have problems.

In the peephole example, if the peephole was put only at 3.5' or 4', imagine a tall person trying to bend down and simultaneously look up at the face of the person outside the door. It's not as easy as you think. If you don't believe me, try it on your door with a pretend peephole (use a sticky note) "installed" at 2.5' or 3' up from the bottom. Imagine if there was a peephole, and you wanted to see the persons face on the other side of the door.

I actually tried this on my door with a sticky at 3.5' and at 4' this morning before I replied to you. 4' was just about doable, but anyone taller than me would have issues. 3.5' - forget it.

I have the opposite problem with showerheads. Some are so short they hit me in the chest. To wash my head and hair, I have to contort down. Which isn't always easy depending on the size and slipperiness of the shower floor.

Those of us on the short side and those on the tall side suffer equally, albeit in different ways, IMO. At least you can use a stool to reach a peephole. I can't break my legs to have any leg room in an airline seat. I'm sure being short isn't all fun and games, but neither is being taller than average.

Jan 5, 2015
Spring, Texas
Which hotels do you stay at? I find far more are at chest or shoulder level rather than top of head.

I have the opposite problem with showerheads. Some are so short they hit me in the chest. To wash my head and hair, I have to contort down. Which isn't always easy depending on the size and slipperiness of the shower floor.
Understood.

Jan 8, 2015

It is also hard for others to sympathize with someone complaining that a showerhead at less than 6' in the air is too high for someone to reach when they are always hitting their heads on them.

As said above, peepholes are a very false sense of security. You can never make out enough detail to really see anything of value, so you are left with kinda looks ok to me rather than yes I know who this person is. While I'm no travel guru, most hotels I have stayed in did have some type of latch on the door that one could use so that the door would only open an inch or so before being stopped. (and these latches are fairly stout as well)

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I do understand what shorter folk have to go through, what I think you're failing to understand is that taller folks have issues, too, and that fixtures in hotel rooms and other areas are installed to serve the average population. The tall and the short both have problems.

In the peephole example, if the peephole was put only at 3.5' or 4', imagine a tall person trying to bend down and simultaneously look up at the face of the person outside the door. It's not as easy as you think. If you don't believe me, try it on your door with a pretend peephole (use a sticky note) "installed" at 2.5' or 3' up from the bottom. Imagine if there was a peephole, and you wanted to see the persons face on the other side of the door.

I actually tried this on my door with a sticky at 3.5' and at 4' this morning before I replied to you. 4' was just about doable, but anyone taller than me would have issues. 3.5' - forget it.

Those of us on the short side and those on the tall side suffer equally, albeit in different ways, IMO. At least you can use a stool to reach a peephole. I can't break my legs to have any leg room in an airline seat. I'm sure being short isn't all fun and games, but neither is being taller than average.
A lower peephole wouldn't do any good anyway - you'd be looking at someones chest or belly button, not their face. So what good would it do? You still wouldn't be able to see who is at the door.

The best advice is don't open the door. If you aren't expecting someone, there is no reason to open the door unless you have called for room service or for someone to fix something in your room.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Dear techno..guy: don't you think it would be better if hotels would just put those peepholes lower down on the door?
Well sure it would, but consider the cost of doing this ... buying 100 stepstools per hotel would be far more affordable.

I travel with an inflatable lumbar pillow, a neck pillow for napping on the plane, a sound machine to block the hotel noise at night, my own hair care products, whatever I can't live without ... someone could invent a plastic stepstool with foldable legs and short people could just put it in their suitcase. Or, just don't open the door.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I am not a 'little person.' I am 5'3" tall.
eaglebird, the term 'little people' is used as a PC description of a dwarf. sas did not mean to insult you.

I am remembering, as this thread goes on, a night at a Denver Airport hotel, where someone banged on my door a couple of times and I ignored them. In the morning, I departed to find a flat tire on my rental. Some kind soul was trying to alert the guest to this problem.

Mar 18, 2016
Which hotels do you stay at? I find far more are at chest or shoulder level rather than top of head.

Understood.
Hampton Inns are the worst for having ultra high shower heads. I think it may be because it's cheaper to install some standard length pipe rather than take the time/trouble to cut it down six inches.

I have stayed at a few five-star properties that have dual shower heads: a high one, good for shampooing, and a lower one, good for ladies wishing to keep their hair dry but still shower. Also nice for children.

Mar 18, 2016
Sincerely, my post was not intended to categorize you or comment on your stature. I apologize if you were offended. I was merely trying to point out that if you feel unsafe because the peephole is too high you have a good chance of requesting, and obtaining, a stepstool for your room.This, to me, would be a better choice than booking an ADA room and, therefore, not leaving it vacant for a disabled person. But that is just my thought
Apology accepted. My question was actually meant to ask if there is some industry standard, or if each hotel decides these these things ad hoc. And, as I stated, I don't feel good about taking an ADA room if I'm not actually disabled.

Mar 18, 2016
Well sure it would, but consider the cost of doing this ... buying 100 stepstools per hotel would be far more affordable.

I travel with an inflatable lumbar pillow, a neck pillow for napping on the plane, a sound machine to block the hotel noise at night, my own hair care products, whatever I can't live without ... someone could invent a plastic stepstool with foldable legs and short people could just put it in their suitcase. Or, just don't open the door.
Dear Judy, Wow! So much stuff apart from clothing. Good for you. Me? I try to be more Zen. I travel with carry-on luggage only. Three weeks in Japan, three weeks in Argentina and Chile, ten-day cruise/tour to Alaska, etc. - all done with carry-on only.

By the way, each of the three hotels at which we stayed in Japan provided sleep clothing for use while staying. The knee length sleep shirt at the Conrad Tokyo was so nice, I bought one to bring home. 100% cotton. It now goes with me whenever I travel.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
L
A lower peephole wouldn't do any good anyway - you'd be looking at someones chest or belly button, not their face. So what good would it do? You still wouldn't be able to see who is at the door.

The best advice is don't open the door. If you aren't expecting someone, there is no reason to open the door unless you have called for room service or for someone to fix something in your room.
While I agree the advice I have not to open the door is best, you can lower peepholes to a point and have them be effective to see faces due to the fish eye lens on the device. At a guess without experimenting, I'd say 3-3.5' would be the lowest minimum height for effectiveness with the lens.

However a peephole at that height would only be usable practically by shorter folks since you have to have the ability to position yourself to look up.

Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
By the way, each of the three hotels at which we stayed in Japan provided sleep clothing for use while staying. The knee length sleep shirt at the Conrad Tokyo was so nice, I bought one to bring home. 100% cotton. It now goes with me whenever I travel.
Called a "yukata", in case you need to look for one in the future. :)

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Dear Judy, Wow! So much stuff apart from clothing. Good for you. Me? I try to be more Zen. I travel with carry-on luggage only. Three weeks in Japan, three weeks in Argentina and Chile, ten-day cruise/tour to Alaska, etc. - all done with carry-on only.

Oh, I know what you mean ... my Virgin Atlantic jammies are always in my suitcase unless I'm going to the tropics. As far as "stuff" goes, I probably pack more stuff than wearing apparel. I tried traveling light once, I didn't like it! Way back when, my husband objected to the size of my suitcase. I gave him $2 and said "Here, hire a porter". That was the end of that discussion; now he's worse than I am.