Hotel Majestic is lying for claw foot tub

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 18, 2018
I had a reservation at thehotelmajestic.com for standard room and "claw foot tub" was the main reason to choose this hotel as many Yelp reviews complimenting "claw foot tub"

I checked in 4PM on Oct 2nd and found there is not a regular bath tub but only walk in shower.

I replied back to hotel reservation confirmation email as that email stated "claw foot tub" but hotel manager Navin became strange.

He started excusing that I booked ADA room and he insisted when I checked in, front desk clerk must have informed me about this room's walk in shower.

Nothing is true.

I just booked standard room and even reservation confirmation email stated "claw foot tub" and front desk clerk did not say anything about walk in shower.
(I think they just replaced claw foot tub to walk in shower for an easy maintenance as I don't think ADA customer would prefer top floor hotel room)

And this hotel is really scary at that point.

When I sent an email, I expected email back but they started calling me at the hotel room phone right after I came back to hotel.

Problem is there was nobody at the front desk area so they probably checked people by surveillance camera at the back office.

They called me 5 times and I had to answer 1 call but they just acted as if they read a pre-written script.

You booked ADA room but we can change the room for you.

No Apology and not even a kind offering of wine or chocolate as a courtesy for the inconvenience they have mad.

Not even admitting their reservation confirmation email stating "claw foot tub"

I'm disappointed and dismayed and had to get out of hotel as it seemed they did not want to do anything but asking me to change the room.
_ Main reason I didn't change room was I was staying at hotel with my SF friend and he was at work so our bags were unpacked and I was not sure if he was comfortable to pack everything and move to new room and unpacked again when we were expecting to check out next day morning.

Then I started contacting American Express but hotel manager kept lying to Amex by saying I booked ADA room and refusing to change room when they offered.

I explained American Express that they were stalking me and calling me 5 times and even attached reservation confirmation email with "claw foot tub" but Amex kept siding hotel's favor.

I attached hotel manager Navin's unprofessional email to Amex as he said "Fraud Claim" which is not true but still nothing has been changed for last 3 months.

I just expected hotel manager can apologize their reservation confirmation process needs to be enhanced by adding disclaimer such as room can be different on check in time and based on the availability, our signature "claw foot tub" may not be available.

But there is no such thing at all.

This hotel is conveniently located between Japantown and Nob hill and marketing as boutique hotel and looks nice from outside street view but reality is once these xxxxx xxxxx people took the ownership, it became so much below the average for operation wise.

Carpet was so outdated especially super slow elevator and valet guy was staring at hotel customers coming in or going out unless they were asked for valet parking.

This is hospitality business but obviously, they do not understand what was their job. Smile, greeting and opening door for traveler with heavy bags!!!

Room cleaning woman was out of mind as well.

She knocked my door at 7AM and I was surprised as I had nobody knocked the door for room cleaning at 7AM.

Edited by a moderator to remove offensive reference.

And she asked me 3 times if I'm okay without changing things for her and looked very frustrated as I did not want to have her come in while I was busy to get ready for my business meeting.

Overall, this hotel needs to train staffs and correct reservation system and new hotel manager who can commit to customer service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 16, 2018
If they offered you a room change to the particular style of room you wanted, but you refused and stayed in the hotel, you won't have a case for a full refund. If you feel the stay was not up to par with what is expected of this hotel, you should write a clear concise email. When you write, leave out all emotion and terms like stalking, out of mind, and definitely do not mention the race of the new owners.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
An ADA room cannot have a claw footed tub- it has to have a walk in shower.

But you are an absolutely correct - their website DOES say there is a claw footed tub in an ADA room!

ADA Queen
One queen bed, ADA compliant, with 32” HDTV and HBO/ESPN, free WIFI, four-poster bed, pillowtop mattress, premium bedding, in-room safe, claw-foot tub, Gilchrist and Soames toiletries, bath robes, boutique décor, elegant seating, mini-fridge, honor bar, hairdryer, iron and ironing board, non-smoking, 200 sq ft, docking station, and desk area.

Go back to AE and tell them that you did not get what was described .

Their entire website needs to be updated because even the room pictures don’t show claw footed tubs- the show built in tubs.

This is false advertising and I would even suggest filing a complaint with the Consumer Affairs office about this to get them to change the website.

Sep 19, 2015
The website certainly does need to be updated as there are not claw foot tubs in every room.

The photographs for the ADA room show a walk in shower which is what is required; there are also safety bars in the bathroom.

A person who needs to have a compliant room would not complain about it being on the top floor as long as there was an elevator.

Attachments

Sep 19, 2015
OP is this you on Yelp, where you wrote that you booked an ADA compliant room? A claw foot tub is not likely ADA compliant, as there is a need for seat in the tub as required and there are grab bar requirements. The website is wrong in including the tub type but the photo of the room shows a shower and the room is likely ADA compliant with the shower.

Why do you feel the need to comment on the ethnic/racial background of the management.

If this is you, given that a charge back has been lost several times, you refused to change room, and this review, I would not expect anything positive from the hotel.

Attachments

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The website certainly does need to be updated as there are not claw foot tubs in every room.

The photographs for the ADA room show a walk in shower which is what is required; there are also safety bars in the bathroom.

A person who needs to have a compliant room would not complain about it being on the top floor as long as there was an elevator.
While the picture may show it - the description doesn't and it is stated on his or her receipt.

They did offer to change your room - why couldn't you have called your roommate and asked him about changing the room? They were offering to move you to another room, not another hotel. Did you tell your roommate when he came back that night they offered to change the room? You could have changed it at that time. That is what they should have done and you refused. Once you did that, you agreed to keep what you had so you really don't have a claim about the room nor about the rugs or furnishings - those aren't guaranteed.

What do you want them to do for you? You aren't going to get a free room because you didn't have a claw footed tub but what is it you want them to do? They offered to move you and that was the right thing to do.

What you can do is get them to fix their outdated website and you can do that by reporting them to the Consumer Affairs Dept.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
OP is this you on Yelp, where you wrote that you booked an ADA compliant room? A claw foot tub is not likely ADA compliant, as there is a need for seat in the tub as required and there are grab bar requirements. The website is wrong in including the tub type but the photo of the room shows a shower and the room is likely ADA compliant with the shower.

Why do you feel the need to comment on the ethnic/racial background of the management.

If this is you, given that a charge back has been lost several times, you refused to change room, and this review, I would not expect anything positive from the hotel.
I hope this wasn't the OP - this is exactly what Christopher Elliott tells people NOT to do.

And why would the OP email the hotel instead of going right down to the lobby? They did offer to move you and you refused - after seeing this, if it is the OP, Weihlac is absolutely correct - there is no reason for them to want to work with you. They offered a solution - the only solution - and you refused.

All you can do is contact Consumer Affairs about their website being incorrect.

Sep 19, 2015
Yes Neil, the website certainly needs to be updated, and I wonder if there is such as thing as an ADA compliant claw foot tub.

The website seems to list claw foot tub in every room and the photos show otherwise, this is a very poorly designed website.

But I think the roll in shower is ADA compliant (in theory).

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I just went through the rules for ADA complaint tubs. There need to be grab bars when there are tubs -
For bathtubs with permanent seats, grab bars shall be
provided in accordance with 607.4.1.
607.4.1.1 Back Wall.
Two grab bars shall be installed on the back wall, one located in
accordance with 609.4 and the other located 8 inches (205 mm) minimum and 10 inches (255
mm) maximum above the rim of the bathtub. Each grab bar shall be installed 15 inches (380
mm) maximum from the head end wall and 12 inches (305 mm) maximum from the control end
wall.
607.4.1.2 Control End Wall.
A grab bar 24 inches (610mm) long minimum shall be installed on
the control end wall at the front edge of the bathtub.
For bathtubs without permanent seats, grab bars
shall comply with 607.4.2.
607.4.2.1 Back Wall.
Two grab bars shall be installed on the back wall, one located in
accordance with 609.4 and other located 8 inches (205 mm) minimum and 10 inches (255 mm)
maximum above the rim of the bathtub. Each grab bar shall be 24 inches (610 mm) long
minimum and shall be installed 24 inches (610 mm) maximum from the head end wall and 12
inches (305 mm) maximum from the control end wall.
607.4.2.2 Control End Wall.
A grab bar 24 inches (610 mm) long minimum shall be installed on the control end wall at the front edge of the bathtub.
607.4.2.3 Head End Wall.
A grab bar 12 inches (305 mm) long minimum shall be installed on
the head end wall at the front edge of the bathtub.

If a claw foot tub has all that - then it may meet the requirements. The hotel has actually gone further than required by proving the full walk in shower room.

Dec 19, 2014
Just curious, but you keep on mentioning the reservation e-mail mentioned a "claw foot tub." Does the e-mail reservation show that you booked an ADA room or a standard room?

At the end of the day, what is your desired resolution?
Are you looking for an apology and for the hotel to re-examine it's policies? or are you looking for compensation in the form of a partial or full refund?

I would leave out everything else you wrote. The mention of "Stalking", the carpets, housekeeping, and "ownership"

The hotel did offer to change rooms, so it's not like the hotel didn't attempt to rectify the situation.

Sep 19, 2015
Neil the part that I think is difficult for a claw foot tub with ADA rules is the following:

4.20.3 Seat. An in-tub seat or a seat at the head end of the tub shall be provided. The structural strength of seats and their attachments shall comply with 4.26.3. Seats shall be mounted securely and shall not slip during use.

But yes the roll in shower does sound ADA compliant

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Neil the part that I think is difficult for a claw foot tub with ADA rules is the following:

4.20.3 Seat. An in-tub seat or a seat at the head end of the tub shall be provided. The structural strength of seats and their attachments shall comply with 4.26.3. Seats shall be mounted securely and shall not slip during use.

But yes the roll in shower does sound ADA compliant
That's correct - it can't be. Yet their own website in writing says that an ADA complaint room has a claw footed tub. That is false advertising. Their main page says every room has a claw footed tub and from the pictures of built in tubs - that isn't true either.

This is what he needs to report to the the Consumer Affairs Department as that is the only thing he can do. They offered to move him and he refused so there is nothing else he is entitled to at this point but he can complain about their false website and his confirmation that said claw footed tub, even on an ADA room.

Status
Not open for further replies.