Hotel.com Misrepresentation of Price

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 7, 2018
Hotels.com, which is owned by Expedia, advertises that you can search from the lowest price
to the highest price. They then offered a special "low" price of $59 for a night at the Grand NYC which would be nonrefundable. I made the reservation but the charge came back for $160.62. When I called to find out why the total was so much higher, I learned that it included not only taxes (which I expected) and going online. On Expedia's own site I found out they already knew the total to be charged, but this information was not shared on Hotels.com. Below is the link showing the listing for $59, and another showing the actual types of "fees" which Expedia, the parent site, says are to be expected. Maid services are not included on their list, but are rather listed as "amenities." I see this as a misleading bait and switch. Hotels.com refuses to refund me either the $59 reservation or any part of the the exorbitant fee. upload_2018-1-7_22-30-55.png

https://www.hotels.com/ho634418464/...1&WOE=6&WOD=5&ZSX=0&SYE=3&q-room-0-children=0
upload_2018-1-7_22-30-55.png

Sep 19, 2015
Stephen Seidel did you not get the same reservations page which lists the total before booking.

I have tried twice now and each time there is a total given before giving the credit card number.

It is likely not bait and switch if the total is disclosed before paying.

Attachments

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Or is the OP objecting to the amount of fees and taxes which I think are outrageously high but are disclosed.
This is what Expedia shows- is only states taxes and fees and is high as well.

I am not even sure what the screen prints the writer included show.

From everything I have looked at I see no misrepresentation.

Attachments

Sep 19, 2015
I hope the OP comes back to explain things. I did a little more research. People in the past were complaining that the fees were not added /disclosed when booking and were only told after booking that they had to pay -- informed via email of cleaning and resort fees.

And to be honest the place sounds like a dump. It is a mixed use building that has had so many code violations in the past -- roaches mice and fleas no extra cost! It sounds like the building is owned by a slumlord and there are businesses who has decided to take advantage of tourists.

Sep 19, 2015
A review that discusses the cleaning fee issue--

All I can say is that one need to read reviews and if the price is very low for the location there is probably a reason and not a positive one.. like sharing the room with a gazillion roaches.

New York City has been terrible with dealing with slumlords -- but hey we have bicycle lanes and pedestrian plazas. It is shameful. And I live here so I am only too aware of it -- and while I am not an Airbnb person never used it I am not impressed with the zeal with which they have gone after that while ignoring the slumlords (residential apartments and ahem hotels/hostels) that continue to thrive.

Attachments

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
A review that discusses the cleaning fee issue--

All I can say is that one need to read reviews and if the price is very low for the location there is probably a reason and not a positive one.. like sharing the room with a gazillion roaches.

New York City has been terrible with dealing with slumlords -- but hey we have bicycle lanes and pedestrian plazas. It is shameful. And I live here so I am only too aware of it -- and while I am not an Airbnb person never used it I am not impressed with the zeal with which they have gone after that while ignoring the slumlords (residential apartments and ahem hotels/hostels) that continue to thrive.
The problem is this is not a regular hotel- it’s a building with 24 apartments. If there are regular apartment owners - it’s not all that unusual to have roaches in NYC apartments.

I grew up in the Bronx and there were plenty of apartments we lived in with roaches. It’s an unfortunate fact of life in NYC when you have apartments with kitchens or kitchenettes. All it takes is one person to have them and they spread. Many landlords have their apartments sprayed monthly but if you aren’t home when they come- your apartments the one they run to to get away from the spray.

A few years ago we had workers in our house that brought tarps and after they left I found a dead roach in the bathtub after they took the tarps down. My wife thought it was hilarious that I immediately called an exterminator and had the house sprayed in case there was a live one that came in on those tarps. After living in the Bronx I wasn’t taking any chances.

Jan 7, 2018
The booking was for January 19 to January 20. Can you tell me how to proceed to get the total price for any site from lowest to highest for any Expedia site or brand as well as a competitor Priceline. Are there any other companies not connected to Expedia providing the same service.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The total price was on the screen. This hotel doesn’t disclose their cleaning fee anywhere so the only way to know is to call the hotel before you book. The reviews spoke about this repeatedly. The hotel had a 2.8 review.

You have to ask yourself when you see a price that low for NYC- what’s wrong? Hotels in NYC never go for $59. Just clicking on the description should have been a warning- it’s a 24 room apartment and many of the rooms don’t even have a bathroom in the room.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
$30 deposit + $3.50 nyc tax + 6% resort fee does not equal $104. When I clicked on the little information button next to taxes, it told me, “Taxes are tax recovery charges paid to the hotel for its tax obligations. The fees are service charges that we keep as additional compensation for servicing your travel reservation. Please see Terms and Conditions.”

Okay, they have to eat, but ~$60 is a bit much of a booking fee IMO.

About the only thing you can do is ask for a breakdown of the fee and point out how high their share is. But, I rather suspect Expedia’s breakdown of fees might be wrong, too. Most major cities I’ve stayed in had taxes of around $20 a night for hotel and sales tax.

Once you have agreed to the price, though, the contract becomes binding and it’s very hard to get them to change it unless you can conclusively prove an error on their part. I would’ve asked them to review the booking and see if there was a mistake vs accusing them of a bait and switch.

Sep 19, 2015
Neil roaches are a disgusting fact of the city and they exist even in commercial buildings (such as offices) with kitchens. I have a roach eviscerating cat, combat, and take garbage out daily and that keeps them out my apartment. In the summer at night I inevitably see one of those mega roaches (so called waterbugs) strolling (in a roachy way) on the sidewalk. I loathe violence except against roaches.

This building with the hostel/hotel has had some emergency violations in 2017 with heat and water and even worse the fire escapes being detached from the building which screams slumlord -- that is not something like a boiler breaking down, that is letting the metal deteriorate over a period of time.

This hostel /hotel sounds dreadful and the fees are dubious, but it seems they are mostly disclosed before entering name or credit card information. Mandatory taxes are about 15% plus $3.50 per night (going to city and state).

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Neil roaches are a disgusting fact of the city and they exist even in commercial buildings (such as offices) with kitchens. I have a roach eviscerating cat, combat, and take garbage out daily and that keeps them out my apartment. In the summer at night I inevitably see one of those mega roaches (so called waterbugs) strolling (in a roachy way) on the sidewalk. I loathe violence except against roaches.

This building with the hostel/hotel has had some emergency violations in 2017 with heat and water and even worse the fire escapes being detached from the building which screams slumlord -- that is not something like a boiler breaking down, that is letting the metal deteriorate over a period of time.

This hostel /hotel sounds dreadful and the fees are dubious, but it seems they are mostly disclosed before entering name or credit card information. Mandatory taxes are about 15% plus $3.50 per night (going to city and state).
And that’s the key- the “taxes” were shown before you can go any further and pay. The time to question it is before you continue. You cannot even book the room without that page being shown.

Sep 19, 2015
The booking was for January 19 to January 20. Can you tell me how to proceed to get the total price for any site from lowest to highest for any Expedia site or brand as well as a competitor Priceline. Are there any other companies not connected to Expedia providing the same service.
You cannot find the total price (with taxes and fees) on hotels.com or Expedia without going to the individual listing as far as I know.

Feb 9, 2016
Disney booking scenarios for both WDW and DL also have a bunch of extra taxes and fees included....tourist tax, city tax, property tax, you're not looking tax, etc, etc, etc