Hotel charging us for incidentals with no notice or proof.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 6, 2018
Hello!

I am trying to get help to resolving the issue stated below:

I checked into The Normandy Hotel in Washington DC with my mother from Dec11th-Dec 16th. The reservation was under her name Patricia Riquier however the card used is under my name Celina Riquier. We booked through the 3rd party booking app HotelTonight for two weeks but only ended up spending from Dec 11th-Dec 16th. When we checked into the hotel we experienced multiple issues most notably multiple occurrences with very strong weed smell drifting into our room from neighbours in our hall. This happened multiple times and the smell was very strong and l am asthmatic so I asked to change floors each time the weed smell occurred and the front desk and manager seemed more annoyed with the fact that they had to change our room than the fact that someone was smoking weed in the hotel rooms and disturbing other guests. We also had other issues with room not being cleaned properly, clogged bathroom sink that kept clogging even after maintenance was called to look at it, noisy and rude neighbours. None of these issues the hotel seemed to be concerned with as they were more annoyed with our valid complaints than solving the issues. The final straw was when we woke up Friday morning Dec 15th to an extremely loud and piercing noise in our room the noise was constant and very disturbing. Upon going down to the front desk we were told it was construction, we explained we had been up late the night before and had planned to sleep in and with the horrendous high pitched noise it was impossible to do so and if we could change to a room without the noise so we could get some sleep in the room we are paying for. The manger was annoyed at this request and suggested that we leave the hotel the next day as we “complained too much”. We were all too happy to leave as we had only continued to stay at the hotel as we had prepaid for the 2weeks and were afraid we would have issues getting our money back if we decided to leave our reservation early. The manager told us we would be refunded for the rest of our reservation which was about $600. That Saturday morning Dec 16th we awoke, checked out confirmed our reservation refund and the refund of our incidentals. Then we sat and ate breakfast in their lobby for about 2 hours awaiting a ride and then left/ We thought it was the end of the nightmare hotel. A few days later while shopping my card was declined; I called my bank and was told that the Normandy Hotel had charged my card for $550. I was in shock as I hand not been notified of this charge: no email or phone call nothing. I immediately called the hotel for an explanation of the charge. After being put on hold for 20mins I was told the charge was for incidentals as they claimed that we had cracked the screen of the TV in the room. This is a hilarious claim as my mother and I do not watch TV we use our laptop and iphone for news and Netflix and did not even touch the TV the whole time we stayed. I asked for the hotel to send me proof such as pictures of the cracked TV screen. They REFUSED to send proof; I asked to speak with the manager and was told that he was unavailable. After noting the lack of proof and the fact that we had confirmed before we left that our incidentals were to be refunded AND we had spent TWO hours in their lobby waiting for our ride after we check out and were told the room was reviewed and everything was fine we asked to be refunded the hotel refused. My theory is the manager was upset about our multiple complaints and the fact that he had to refund us our $600 so we could leave decided to charge us $550 (a charge awfully close to that refunded amount of $600) so he would not loose out on any money from us which is very dishonest. I hope to be able to resolve this with the hotel agreeing to give me my money back. Thank you so much for any help on this situation. I can say I will never use a debit card to book a hotel again only a credit card onwards.

Regards,

Celina

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hello!

I am trying to get help to resolving the issue stated below:

I checked into The Normandy Hotel in Washington DC with my mother from Dec11th-Dec 16th. The reservation was under her name Patricia Riquier however the card used is under my name Celina Riquier. We booked through the 3rd party booking app HotelTonight for two weeks but only ended up spending from Dec 11th-Dec 16th. When we checked into the hotel we experienced multiple issues most notably multiple occurrences with very strong weed smell drifting into our room from neighbours in our hall. This happened multiple times and the smell was very strong and l am asthmatic so I asked to change floors each time the weed smell occurred and the front desk and manager seemed more annoyed with the fact that they had to change our room than the fact that someone was smoking weed in the hotel rooms and disturbing other guests. We also had other issues with room not being cleaned properly, clogged bathroom sink that kept clogging even after maintenance was called to look at it, noisy and rude neighbours. None of these issues the hotel seemed to be concerned with as they were more annoyed with our valid complaints than solving the issues. The final straw was when we woke up Friday morning Dec 15th to an extremely loud and piercing noise in our room the noise was constant and very disturbing. Upon going down to the front desk we were told it was construction, we explained we had been up late the night before and had planned to sleep in and with the horrendous high pitched noise it was impossible to do so and if we could change to a room without the noise so we could get some sleep in the room we are paying for. The manger was annoyed at this request and suggested that we leave the hotel the next day as we “complained too much”. We were all too happy to leave as we had only continued to stay at the hotel as we had prepaid for the 2weeks and were afraid we would have issues getting our money back if we decided to leave our reservation early. The manager told us we would be refunded for the rest of our reservation which was about $600. That Saturday morning Dec 16th we awoke, checked out confirmed our reservation refund and the refund of our incidentals. Then we sat and ate breakfast in their lobby for about 2 hours awaiting a ride and then left/ We thought it was the end of the nightmare hotel. A few days later while shopping my card was declined; I called my bank and was told that the Normandy Hotel had charged my card for $550. I was in shock as I hand not been notified of this charge: no email or phone call nothing. I immediately called the hotel for an explanation of the charge. After being put on hold for 20mins I was told the charge was for incidentals as they claimed that we had cracked the screen of the TV in the room. This is a hilarious claim as my mother and I do not watch TV we use our laptop and iphone for news and Netflix and did not even touch the TV the whole time we stayed. I asked for the hotel to send me proof such as pictures of the cracked TV screen. They REFUSED to send proof; I asked to speak with the manager and was told that he was unavailable. After noting the lack of proof and the fact that we had confirmed before we left that our incidentals were to be refunded AND we had spent TWO hours in their lobby waiting for our ride after we check out and were told the room was reviewed and everything was fine we asked to be refunded the hotel refused. My theory is the manager was upset about our multiple complaints and the fact that he had to refund us our $600 so we could leave decided to charge us $550 (a charge awfully close to that refunded amount of $600) so he would not loose out on any money from us which is very dishonest. I hope to be able to resolve this with the hotel agreeing to give me my money back. Thank you so much for any help on this situation. I can say I will never use a debit card to book a hotel again only a credit card onwards.

Regards,

Celina
Celina because you booked this through a third party, they should be the ones handling your complaint.

Its well known when you book through these discount OTAs you are given the worst rooms. They save the better rooms for those who pay full price for their booking. That’s something to keep in mind for the future.

However, that doesn’t excuse them from delivering poor service or being rude.

Have you asked for pictures of the claimed damage?

You can try to file a credit card dispute but they want you try to work it out first with the hotel. But with a debit card you don’t have the same chargeback rights that you do with a credit card so call your bank for guidance.

And in Travel you should never use a debit card- you don’t have the same dispute rights as you have with a credit card. Plus many hotels and car rentals place holds when you arrive that can overdraw your account.

Ask for pictures and call Hotels Tonight for help.

Apr 6, 2018
Hello! Thank you so much for your prompt response. We did ask for pictures and we were refused them my the front desk when we called about the charge. Thank you I will reach out to HotelTonight and let you know what I am told. If anyone else has any other ideas please let me know. And Yes! I will NEVER book with a debit card again, lesson learned the hard way.

Reagrds,
Celina

Apr 6, 2018
Celina because you booked this through a third party, they should be the ones handling your complaint.

Its well known when you book through these discount OTAs you are given the worst rooms. They save the better rooms for those who pay full price for their booking. That’s something to keep in mind for the future.

However, that doesn’t excuse them from delivering poor service or being rude.

Have you asked for pictures of the claimed damage?

You can try to file a credit card dispute but they want you try to work it out first with the hotel. But with a debit card you don’t have the same chargeback rights that you do with a credit card so call your bank for guidance.

And in Travel you should never use a debit card- you don’t have the same dispute rights as you have with a credit card. Plus many hotels and car rentals place holds when you arrive that can overdraw your account.

Ask for pictures and call Hotels Tonight for help.
Hello! Thank you so much for your prompt response. We did ask for pictures and we were refused them my the front desk when we called about the charge. Thank you I will reach out to HotelTonight and let you know what I am told. If anyone else has any other ideas please let me know. And Yes! I will NEVER book with a debit card again, lesson learned the hard way.

Regards,
Celina

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Celina, if they are refusing to offer you any proof of these so-called incidental charges, I would see if you can establish an email trail so your request for the proof and their response is in writing. Unfortunately you have used an online booking agency and they have little if any customer service. But you do need to work with them to obtain a refund. Equally unfortunate is that you used a DR card which offers you little protection. So your best hope IMHO is to get the OBA to go after the hotel on your behalf. Moving rooms multiple times is not a good thing and I'm glad you understand that it sheds a bad light on you in the eyes of management. This will require a great deal of patience and persistence. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you asked for pictures and they refused- call your bank right away and see if you can do a dispute. That means to me they have no proof.

Try to email the hotel and ask for photos. It’s better to get that in writing or get the name of who you spoke to at the hotel that told you that

They should need to provide that to answer a dispute. When you file, state you asked for photos of the damage and they refused.

They can’t charge with no proof.

Apr 6, 2018
Hello Everyone!
I contacted Hoteltonight on Friday they attempeted to call the hotel however the manager was not available. So they recommended that we call the hotel again on Monday as the manager would be available then. We called The Normandy Hotel today and sopke with the manager. He was very blase on the phona nad flat our rude. He again stated that we had broken the tv and we had to pay for it. We asked again that he provide us with pictures as proof and a receipt he said "No". We then stated that what he was doing was illegeal he said "ok, i have to go bye" and hung up on us. We called Hoteltonight back and explained to them what happened. They called the Hotel and spoke to the same manager. They confirmed that the manager refused to give them any proof but insisted that we pay the incidentals. We asked what hoteltonight was going to do about this, the respresentative stated they did all they could but it was up tot us to reslove the issue with the hotel. I am at llost for words as I have no idea why the manager is acting like this. I filled a claim with my bank but as I said since I used a DEBIT card the bank wants to give the money to the hotel even though my bank has told me that the hotel has not provided the bank with proof. Please adivse me on what else we can do I am at most for words.

Celina

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018
If you asked for pictures and they refused- call your bank right away and see if you can do a dispute. That means to me they have no proof.

Try to email the hotel and ask for photos. It’s better to get that in writing or get the name of who you spoke to at the hotel that told you that

They should need to provide that to answer a dispute. When you file, state you asked for photos of the damage and they refused.

They can’t charge with no proof.
Hello Everyone!
I contacted Hoteltonight on Friday they attempeted to call the hotel however the manager was not available. So they recommended that we call the hotel again on Monday as the manager would be available then. We called The Normandy Hotel today and sopke with the manager. He was very blase on the phona nad flat our rude. We again stated that we had broken the tv and we had to pay for it. We asked again that he provide us with pictures as proof and a receipt he said "No". We then stated that what he was doing was illegeal he said "ok, i have to go bye" and hung up on us. We called Hoteltonight back and explained to them what happened. They called the Hotel and spoke to the same manager. They confirmed that the manager refused to give them any proof but insisted that we pay the incidentals. We asked what hoteltonight was going to do about this, the respresentative stated they did all they could but it was up tot us to reslove the issue with the hotel. I am at llost for words as I have no idea why the manager is acting like this. I filled a claim with my bank but as I said since I used a DEBIT card the bank wants to give the money to the hotel even though my bank has told me that the hotel has not provided the bank with proof. Please adivse me on what else we can do I am at most for words.

Celina

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Did you tell the bank this charge is Fraudulent? To file an official Dispute you must follow the banks rules IN Writing. Calling the bank does NOT qualify. If your Debit Card has a Visa or MasterCard symbol on it you still have protections. Please ask you bank how to file a WRITTEN formal dispute. The HOTEL is stealing your money! They MUST supply proof (date stamped & timed photos) and documentation.

Did you run your debit card as a Credit (NOT using your pin or as debit. Makes a difference.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018
Did you tell the bank this charge is Fraudulent? To file an official Dispute you must follow the banks rules IN Writing. Calling the bank does NOT qualify. If your Debit Card has a Visa or MasterCard symbol on it you still have protections. Please ask you bank how to file a WRITTEN formal dispute. The HOTEL is stealing your money! They MUST supply proof (date stamped & timed photos) and documentation.

Did you run your debit card as a Credit (NOT using your pin or as debit. Makes a difference.
Thank you, I will call my bank and update here when I do. We told them the charge was fraud but they are considerinf it non_fraud as they are claiming we gave the hotel our card for incidentals and since they charged it as incidentals we are responsibme for giving them the card. I dont recall entering my pin so it probably was run as a credit. I am really upset about the whole situationa and how the Hotel is so comfortable tell us NO when we ask for proof and then the audacity to hang up on me. Anyways will call the bank for sure and try to file the written formal dispute.

Regards,

Celina

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don’t see that we have company contacts for HotelTonight. Start another help request and ask for research for contacts for hotel-tonight. You need to take this further to an Executive.

And force your bank to do a dispute. Incidentals are phone calls, not a broken tv they can’t prove proof of.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Your bank will be able to tell you if this was run as a Debit or credit. If it’s run as a credit, Visa requires your bank to follow your heir dispute process.

Apr 6, 2018
I don’t see that we have company contacts for HotelTonight. Start another help request and ask for research for contacts for hotel-tonight. You need to take this further to an Executive.

And force your bank to do a dispute. Incidentals are phone calls, not a broken tv they can’t prove proof of.
Hello, I will try to get info about hoteltonight. This is my first time on this site, for this help request is thier a specific section to post in for contact info?

Regards,
Celina

Apr 6, 2018
Since this was run through after she left- they had to do it as a credit (them didn’t have the pin) so I agree with Jville- tell the bank they ran it as a credit card transaction.
Your bank will be able to tell you if this was run as a Debit or credit. If it’s run as a credit, Visa requires your bank to follow your heir dispute process.
I have a Mastercard, but I will coninue with my bank but they seem to want me to deal with the merchant as at thi point they are considering it non-fraud despite us explaining the situation and my bank admitting that the hotel provded them with no proof. I will try again however and update when I do.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I have a Mastercard, but I will coninue with my bank but they seem to want me to deal with the merchant as at thi point they are considering it non-fraud despite us explaining the situation and my bank admitting that the hotel provded them with no proof. I will try again however and update when I do.
You MUST I repeat MUST file your dispute in writing. They have to handle it according to the MasterCard rules when you do that. Talking on the phone also does NOT apply. You may also consider filing a police report.
Also finding who the Ownership of the Hotel vs Onsite manager who does not care to help. Inwriting is the only way to handle this and to let them know you will not go away without a fight.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree with Jville. File the dispute in writing and what you need to say is that to did not damage the tv and you have called the manager four times requesting pictures of the damage and they refuse to provide you with any- therefore you are certain this is a false damage claim and you expect MasterCard or Visa to back you .

Give them each date and time you called so they can clearly see you have tried to resolve it.

There should be an address on your statement on where to mail or email disputes to.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
If you do not file the dispute in writing you have not protected your rights to Dispute the charge. Speaking on the phone will NOT protect your rights.

Apr 6, 2018
Hello, I just called my bank again they are still refusing to consider it fraud. They are claiming it is a debit transaction as they are stating that I signed for the transaction. I explained that I had not signed anything when I checked in or checked out at the hotel, and that I left without signing anything. They explained to me that nothing could be done that this was non-fraud. I will be calling mastercard to try and file a dispute through them. I am currently abroad visiting family and cannot file a complaint in writing as I am not in the US and will not be for a few months. In the mean time my account remains in a negative due to this hotels fraudulent $550 charge. I will update once I speak with mastercard.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thank you, I will call my bank and update here when I do. We told them the charge was fraud but they are considerinf it non_fraud as they are claiming we gave the hotel our card for incidentals and since they charged it as incidentals we are responsibme for giving them the card. I dont recall entering my pin so it probably was run as a credit. I am really upset about the whole situationa and how the Hotel is so comfortable tell us NO when we ask for proof and then the audacity to hang up on me. Anyways will call the bank for sure and try to file the written formal dispute.

Regards,

Celina
And when you get this straightened out, Celina, you need a new bank,