Hotel charging for alleged damage to room light

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 31, 2017
I just got back from a few days off over Christmas to find a $250 charge to my corporate card from a hotel I stayed in for business in December. As the room charge had already posted to my corporate expensing site, I called the hotel to find out what this was about. I was informed by the front desk manager that this was to cover the light that was found broken by housekeeping after my checkout. I am vigorously disputing. Is this a new game we frequent travelers now have to defend against? As well as going over rental cars, we now have to assess the state of hotel rooms? Has this happened to any one else? What was the outcome? Thanks!

Sep 19, 2015
Did they tell you which light was broken? Was it even a light you used? Was the lamp shattered or just not functioning, like an electrical short? I would ask for details.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
My first recommendation would be the call the hotel and ask to speak to the General Manager and dispute the claim that you caused the damage. If you are the most recent guest since they discovered the damage, you're the easiest person to blame but if you tell them you didn't do it, they should find someone else to recover the cost from. If that doesn't work, you'll need to use our company contacts list and write to an executive at the chain to which the hotel belongs.

Dec 31, 2017
My first recommendation would be the call the hotel and ask to speak to the General Manager and dispute the claim that you caused the damage. If you are the most recent guest since they discovered the damage, you're the easiest person to blame but if you tell them you didn't do it, they should find someone else to recover the cost from. If that doesn't work, you'll need to use our company contacts list and write to an executive at the chain to which the hotel belongs.
Thanks, Barry. I'm working with the credit card company right now, and will follow-up with the hotel exec team if I need to