Hotel charged a smoking fee

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 26, 2018
I recently stayed at The Brickhouse Inn in Branson, Missouri. When I checked my bank account I found there was an additional charge to my bank account for $250. I called the hotel and they told me it was a smoking fee because we had smoked in the room. I denied this accusation. The person said they would let the owner know but they were not onsite at the time. I gave them 2 days to contact me and they didn’t. I called back and spoke to a lady who said she was the manager and I explained the situation to her and she said we absolutely smoked in the room and they had proof of it. They said there was a cigarette butt wrapped in tissue thrown in the garbage can. They also said the whole room and the hallway smelled like smoke. First of all, I don’t smoke and can not breathe around smoke, period. My boyfriend smoked 2 times while we were there and both times were outside (their video surveillance should show this, should it not?) Also, if there had been smoking in the room (which their wasn’t!) should the sprinkler system not have gone off? Especially with their claims of it supposedly being so bad they had to air the room and hallway out? Their accusations are erroneous as NO ONE in my party smoked in that room, or inside that hotel! If that room smelled of smoke and “had a cigarette butt in the trash can” then someone did it and placed it there. Again, I do not now nor have I ever in my life smoked, nor does anyone even smoke around me because of it. These are erroneous charges, false accusations.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I recently stayed at The Brickhouse Inn in Branson, Missouri. When I checked my bank account I found there was an additional charge to my bank account for $250. I called the hotel and they told me it was a smoking fee because we had smoked in the room. I denied this accusation. The person said they would let the owner know but they were not onsite at the time. I gave them 2 days to contact me and they didn’t. I called back and spoke to a lady who said she was the manager and I explained the situation to her and she said we absolutely smoked in the room and they had proof of it. They said there was a cigarette butt wrapped in tissue thrown in the garbage can. They also said the whole room and the hallway smelled like smoke. First of all, I don’t smoke and can not breathe around smoke, period. My boyfriend smoked 2 times while we were there and both times were outside (their video surveillance should show this, should it not?) Also, if there had been smoking in the room (which their wasn’t!) should the sprinkler system not have gone off? Especially with their claims of it supposedly being so bad they had to air the room and hallway out? Their accusations are erroneous as NO ONE in my party smoked in that room, or inside that hotel! If that room smelled of smoke and “had a cigarette butt in the trash can” then someone did it and placed it there. Again, I do not now nor have I ever in my life smoked, nor does anyone even smoke around me because of it. These are erroneous charges, false accusations.
If your boyfriend smoked outside and then returned to the room he would have brought the smell of smoke into the room. You are desensitized by being around him and may not realize how much the smell of smoke follows a smoker. If someone entered the room after you left they could certainly have smelled the smoke. And no, smoking a cigarette would NEVER set off the fire sprinkler system. You also may wish to ask the smoker in your party if they brought a cigarette butt inside for disposal.

You can email the hotel and contest the charge.

Dec 26, 2018
If your boyfriend smoked outside and then returned to the room he would have brought the smell of smoke into the room. You are desensitized by being around him and may not realize how much the smell of smoke follows a smoker. If someone entered the room after you left they could certainly have smelled the smoke. And no, smoking a cigarette would NEVER set off the fire sprinkler system. You also may wish to ask the smoker in your party if they brought a cigarette butt inside for disposal.

You can email the hotel and contest the charge.
He didn’t bring one in with him. I’m not desensitized because he doesn’t smoke around me. His clothes very seldom smell of smoke. We don’t live together either and he is the only person I’m ever around that smokes, and he’s not a frequent smoker. I was in the room the whole time. He went out to smoke before we left so I could see where there could have been a smell but the accusation is that one of us smoked inside the room, which we did not.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I would go back to them and ask for the picture. If they don't produce it, dispute the charge on your credit card. We've had these before but when it is with a chain hotel, you can write to corporate and dispute the charge. With an individually owned hotel - you can only deal with them.

What is the date on your credit card that charge was put through? Was it the day you left? We've had errors made when there have been charges put through well after the client checked out and those could be from the next guest (or prior).

Here are some other cases we've had and how they ended:

Read this one carefully as this is the best way to try to get the charge reversed without going to your credit card company (and I hope you used a credit card, not a debit card)

https://www.elliott.org/advocacy/hotel-smoking-fee-reversed/

https://www.elliott.org/tag/smoking-charge/

https://www.elliott.org/case-dismissed-2/mystery-smell-costs-hotel-guest-200/

Dec 26, 2018
I would go back to them and ask for the picture. If they don't produce it, dispute the charge on your credit card. We've had these before but when it is with a chain hotel, you can write to corporate and dispute the charge. With an individually owned hotel - you can only deal with them.

What is the date on your credit card that charge was put through? Was it the day you left? We've had errors made when there have been charges put through well after the client checked out and those could be from the next guest (or prior).

Here are some other cases we've had and how they ended:

Read this one carefully as this is the best way to try to get the charge reversed without going to your credit card company (and I hope you used a credit card, not a debit card)

https://www.elliott.org/advocacy/hotel-smoking-fee-reversed/

https://www.elliott.org/tag/smoking-charge/

https://www.elliott.org/case-dismissed-2/mystery-smell-costs-hotel-guest-200/
Mr. Maley,
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately I used my debit card to pay for the room because I had the money in my account for it. We checked out at about 10:40 a. m. and the fee showed up pending on my account that night at 11:01 p.m. it still shows pending on my account as of right now. The room charge was put through on the night of the 20th and that charge has cleared the bank.
I have read your articles and that is what led me to post a forum, hoping for some help. I know it will be a tough battle, but it’s a lot of money to me. It’s unfair of them to do this to do this.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Seems with these cases there is always One Guest in the room that actually IS a Smoker. Smokers have absolutely no idea how much smoke is still on their person, clothes, hair, they just have the stench all over them. Doesn’t matter if they smoke outside it’s still on their person. You bring that smell back into the room with you.
As a non smoker I promise I can smell it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, you might lose chargeback rights because you used a debit card. If it only showing as a hold and hasn't been actually charged you can't dispute anything yet. We try to teach people never ever use a debit car for car rentals or hotels - this is why. I would suggest you call your bank asap and see if there is anything you can do.

From the second story I linked to above:
Also, you paid for the room with a debit card, which does not have the same protections under the Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA) that credit card transactions do. As it is a common check-in practice for hotels to ask guests for a credit or debit card to which they can charge incidental expenses, I assume that the hotel charged the smoking fee to a credit card you provided when you checked in.