Horrible experience

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2018
Good morning I would like to explain about my horrible experience flying from San Juan toward Fort Lauderdale on Spirit Airlines on November 28th 2018 for our so long desired and waited first family vacation within the last 5 years. We were notified of a flight delay about 2 hours prior to departure such short notice upon arrival was charged additional for my checked luggage the most expensive luggage I’ve paid in my entire life. But not just that upon arriving at the gate we were crammed and rushed to board because many passengers were were making flight connections not to forget we’re traveling with my 3 month old daughter so uncomfortable and undesired tension. We handed the stroller prior to boarding. Barely sat down before the plane began to taxi. Instructions and safety chat was speeded and rushed through everybody just obviously speeding and rushing this explains the reasons of what was just about to happen as we lifted of from San Juan to our surprise we heard a loud bang as if an explosion my wife and son braced as we were scared and horrified thinking the worse!!! Sitting in the 5th row I noticed the flight attendants catering cart was the cause for the loud noise it wasn’t safely locked into position and slammed into the wall just before row one I saw how the attendants face turned pale and how she tried to sustain and hold the cart as we continued on an ascending position. This was horrible she the ungaged her seatbelt and fastened the cart in place struggling against it’s weight. We all feared for our safety imagine this cart would make it into the aisle and caused some serios damage not just to my family and I but to any passengers. What if the cart made its way down the aisle at a high speed and bang against the back of the plane a wall or any part of the air craft causing any damage to it and putting us all in a life threatening position we are still shook up by the safety threatening situation and can’t believe these things happen in such important situations. During flight noticed as 3 elderly ladies were asked to be seated becsuse the captain had to use the bathroom the row was closed of and we watched how these ladies were asked just a moment please as 3 members from the cock pilots came out and spent approximately 5 minutes each and laughing with the flight attendants as they waited to enter the cock pit after using the phone to be granted entrance!!! Poor ladies most of the first 8 rows were elderly people not just thats enough upon arriving at Fll and landed I saw how my daughters $1,000 vista stroller was forced through the door as the crew brung them up 2 at a time he scuffed and scratched it like it wasn’t his!!!!!!! Right in front of us I said “Heyyy your scratching it!!!!” Explained at the gate and was told that I needed to go to baggage claim and that scratches weren’t covered and classified as wear and tear!!!! Incredible response for s 3 month new $1,000 dollar stroller. 2 days prior to check in I wrote various emails regarding the handling of my daughter Vista stroller. Such a shame!!!! Such a bad experience flying back on the 28th and seriously can’t wait to have no more experiences with this airline ever again. I will do all in my power to avoid ever being a passenger in the future....Who covers and who compensates for this bad experience? Would like to email Spirits President and CEO can you provide an email?
Prof. Luis O. Castro

Edited to remove email address

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
"on November 28th 2018 " hasn't happened yet. Today is Nov 27, 2018. Make sure your facts make sense. Otherwise, they will ignore you.

Spirit generates many complaints far out of proportion to the number of passengers it carries.

Here are contacts for Spirit: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/spirit-airlines/

Email ONE at a time starting with the first person on the cust serv list. DO NOT email all at once and do not start with the president and CEO.
https://www.elliott.org/answers/how-to-fix-your-own-consumer-problem/
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Feb 16, 2018
If you write to Spirit, you may wish to leave out the price of luggage since it was advertised and known to you prior, and the whole thing about the elderly women since you really can't complain for them. Stick with your own experience that you feel was outside of the expected flight experience.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Some points to consider before writing: 1) Luggage-all US airlines with perhaps one exception charge for baggage check. Spirit charges more than others. This is known at the time of booking if you booked. If someone else booked, they should have told you. Complaining to Spirit about a condition of your ticket is a waste of time and will not get you anything in return, other than to dismiss your email completely.

2) Stroller--your stroller whether checked at the desk or at the gate becomes baggage and is placed in the hold. It is not carried in the cabin. Scratches and scuff to baggage in the holds normal wear and tear. You can cover your stroller in a protective cover, or purchase an inexpensive stroller used for travel. Complaining about scratches and scuffs will also not accomplish anything

3) If Spirit responds to you at all, the most they will offer is some mileage credit to be used for future flights. They will not refund a portion of your fare. If you will never fly Spirit again then they have nothing to offer you. If you tell them that you will not fly Spirit again they also have no reason to give you any accommodation.

Make your points and requests in a simple bulleted post and send it. If you send a missive such as you have posted here it will be ignored.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If I would scratch it it would be my fault
It’s treated as baggage, whether is a $25 stroller or a $2500 stroller. To prevent scratches you should put it in a protective case. No airline is going to handle any stroller with kid gloves.

It sounds like perhaps you aren’t an experienced flyer. You chose a discount airline that charges for everything and perhaps that’s not what you expected. Everything you experienced is what is typical on a low cost airline. How did you opt for Spirit?

Use our contacts and write but as Weihlac said- leave out anything that doesn’t pertain directly to you. The airline couldn't help the late start and yes they have to rush everyone to get that plane out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 27, 2018
It’s treated as baggagw, whether is a $25 stroller or a $2500 stroller. To prevent scratches you should put it in a protective case. No airline is going to handle any stroller with kid gloves.

It sounds like perhaps you aren’t an experienced flyer. You chose a discount airline that charges for everything and perhaps that’s not what you expected. Eveything you experienced is what is typical on a low cost airline. How did you opt for Spirit?

Use our contacts and write but as Weihlac said- leave out anything that doesn’t pertain directly to you. The airline couldn't help the late start and yes they have to rush everyone to get that plane out.
I wouldn’t agree to rushing and skiping a safety checklist. Thanks for you expertise advise though.

Sep 19, 2015
Spirit is an Ultra low cost carrier and they charge for everything.

While it was a mistake that the cart was not properly secured there was no harm done. Speculating about what ifs does not do much.

Forward bathrooms have been blocked for pilots to use the rest room, stretch their legs, etc for numerous years. Do you really begrudge someone a few minutes talking to coworkers? Cockpits are small, there not a lot of room to get circulation moving.

Did the stroller have a cover? Gate checked strollers are either rushed down by ramp agents or tossed down a conveyor belt. The airlines do not take special care of expensive strollers or luggage.

What do you want from Sprint?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm so sorry for your ugly experience. If you read some of the other threads on this forum about Spirit Airlines, you'll see that your trip was quite good. FOR OUR OTHER READERS: If you're not a frequent traveller, it's difficult to know how awful these low-budget airlines are. Booking flights just based on how cheap they are often results in experiences like this. There's a reason that their fares are so cheap. Don't just pick the cheapest flight, do some research on a site such as FlyerTalk. Some people are just fine with their bottom-of-the-barrel airline, but most of us don't like it.

Jan 31, 2018
As someone that has flown Spirit many times i can just say you get what you pay for. Every flight for me was on time and i have only had one issue when i was running late and their online boarding pass system was down so i had to wait in line to get one and because of that i missed the flight. The only solution was to pay 200 to get on the next flight. I sent them an email once i got home and explained the situation and was refunded the 200.00.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
I have never flown Spirit and probably never will, unless it be a last minute kind of trip wherein it just seems the best option.
That being said, on this Forum, American Airline is the consistent winner of the most complaints, month after month.
At this point, with so few options, I’m just not really sure there is an airline that can offer worry-free travel.
Southwest used to be my go-to airline. Not so much anymore.
Just before boarding y DEN>DAL flight yesterday they announced that the flight would be full but that they still had three boarding upgrades available for $40. These put you in the A1-15 line. Three people rushed to buy them. During the flight I walked the aisle and saw at least 20 middle seats open.
Buying the EarlyBird @$10 was a good deal. Then it went to $15 and I still bought it. Now it is $25-$30 and it still doesn’t guarantee you a good seat, just a chance for a better place to stand in line. This model no longer works for me and I think it’s a mistake. If I’m going to pay $25, I want to have an assigned seat that I pick ahead of time, that doesn’t include standing in line for 15-20 minutes BEFORE boarding even starts.
SW rarely flys nonstop RSW>DEN or vice versa. Frontier offers me lower fares for nonstops to DEN and I rarely need to check two suitcases anymore. I can buy the bundle and get a carryon, a checked bag and my choice of seats all for for $89. For a little more I can add insurance and a refundable ticket. All this still beats The SW ticket prices these days.
Since I have a home in each city, it’s not a big deal of my flight would get cancelled and I would need to fly a different day. If I need to be somewhere for something gspecific I don’t travel last minute anymore. One of the perks of retirement, Yay!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I have never flown Spirit and probably never will, unless it be a last minute kind of trip wherein it just seems the best option.
That being said, on this Forum, American Airline is the consistent winner of the most complaints, month after month.
At this point, with so few options, I’m just not really sure there is an airline that can offer worry-free travel.
Southwest used to be my go-to airline. Not so much anymore.
Just before boarding y DEN>DAL flight yesterday they announced that the flight would be full but that they still had three boarding upgrades available for $40. These put you in the A1-15 line. Three people rushed to buy them. During the flight I walked the aisle and saw at least 20 middle seats open.
Buying the EarlyBird @$10 was a good deal. Then it went to $15 and I still bought it. Now it is $25-$30 and it still doesn’t guarantee you a good seat, just a chance for a better place to stand in line. This model no longer works for me and I think it’s a mistake. If I’m going to pay $25, I want to have an assigned seat that I pick ahead of time, that doesn’t include standing in line for 15-20 minutes BEFORE boarding even starts.
SW rarely flys nonstop RSW>DEN or vice versa. Frontier offers me lower fares for nonstops to DEN and I rarely need to check two suitcases anymore. I can buy the bundle and get a carryon, a checked bag and my choice of seats all for for $89. For a little more I can add insurance and a refundable ticket. All this still beats The SW ticket prices these days.
Since I have a home in each city, it’s not a big deal of my flight would get cancelled and I would need to fly a different day. If I need to be somewhere for something gspecific I don’t travel last minute anymore. One of the perks of retirement, Yay!
I'd love to fly SoWest but no first class and no seat assignments don't work for me. Does Frontier have an affinity credit card?

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
We should keep on topic for the OP.
I thought this was on topic.
It had been suggested that Spirit is a bad choice of airline and it is my contention that American is shown (by number of complaints on the forum) as the worst.
I don’t actually think any one if them (US based) is worse or better than the other. Just seems to be the luck or unluck of the particular flight/weather/anything else that might affect your flight.
There are plenty of Spirit fans out there.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We are going into discussing SW and other airlines and what they do or don’t do. We need to focus on what this consumer experienced- they flew on Spirit and are upset with Spirit.

We have given the OP the contacts for Spirit and the process to write to complain. The OP has not responded any further. It may be time to close the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.