Horrible AA experience

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 29, 2018
Company you have a question or comment about: American Airlines

I’ve been a loyal AA costumer for the past 15 years. This month I chose to fly through AA to Uruguay from Miami. Briefly describing my ordeal, right before taking off, we were told to leave the plane with our belongings because there was a malfunction. They reschedule the flight 5 times. They told us they didn’t have hotel vouchers and they offered us cots with no bleankets in a conference room. They gave us ONE U$12 voucher for food to last from 10:30 pm to 3:30 the next day. The sleeping conditions were deplorable and they woke us up turning on black lights and talking rudely loud as if we were in a boot camp. I missed my godson’s baptism, arrived 18 hours later with my back hurting for just 2 hours of horrible rest in a cot, to discover that all my belongings in my luggage were soaking wet. Books, white clothing and gifts completely ruined. It wasn’t raining when the plane arrived, it was raining in Miami but it must have been exposed to the rain for a very long time for that desaster. We exchange numbers among passengers to complain about this horrible experience. The 5 persons I spoke to had their luggage ruined by water as well. I just demand my ticket to be refund, although nothing will give me he chance to make up not being present in my godson’s baptism. I was offered a $175 Evoucher as “courtesy”. An insult. Horrible. Please, help.

What's your desired resolution? Ticket refund

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 980

Date of transaction/travel date: 11/10/2018

Referred by: Online search.

Case number/reservation number: #279xxxxxxxx)claim number

Case notes:

Edited by a moderator to remove personal information

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You really did have a terrible ordeal. I don’t understand what they did with all that luggage that it was all wet - I would be furious if I were you too.

Here is how you advocate your case. Please follow the instructions exactly as we advise - writing one at a time to Executives leaving a week in between each letter.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/
Here are our contacts for AA:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/american-airlines/

If, after doing the entire process, you get no resolution, come back and let us know and we’ll tell you the next steps.

Sep 19, 2015
It sounds like a miserable evening. Did you have any travel insurance that would have paid for a hotel?

I do not think AA will refund the entire ticket. You did get there, even though it was 18 hours late. AA is just not that generous.

Do you have some actual costs that you can ask AA to cover? Such as dry cleaning, replacement of destroyed items....

AA really has problems; and even worse is that the upper management seems totally unaware of how unhappy passengers are.

If you ask for too much, such as a full refund, you run the risk of being ignored. Do not get me wrong, I think it was awful how you were treated.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This was truly an awful experience. It's hard to grasp how badly the airlines now treat their passengers. When you write to American, just list the facts; keep it short and to the point. Don't cut and paste lots of information. Don't blame anyone, be polite; the person reading your letter did not cause your problems. The complaint department people need to understand what happened with one read-through, otherwise your letter will be set aside for "later". AA delivered you to your destination, so if you request a full refund, they'll just ignore you. I would ask for reimbursement for replacing your luggage and any ruined contents, plus whatever your other expenses were for food, etc. You'll need receipts for all this, but don't attach them yet, often initial emails with attachments aren't read. I think you're also due a credit towards a future flight of about half of what your original tix cost. Best of luck, and please let us know the outcome.