Honda Service Center is Trying to Claim Damages for Loaner Vehicle

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes. Tell them Customer Service advises you to go back to the Service and General Manager’s and you have already done do and they not assisted. Give the first executive a week to reply, then you move to the next.

Mar 14, 2018
I received a reply today from Honda Corporate:

Who would you recommend I reach out to at this point? The Honda Executive chain?
Before you write any more letters, I suggest you take a step back:

1) Your position wrt the damage is very weak. When you picked up the car, you and the dealer both inspected it and you signed a document saying it wasn't damaged. You have agreed (in your emails/photos) that the damage was there when you returned it. The documentation requests in the letter campaign are all aimed at getting the rental company to prove the damage wasn't there at pickup and was there at dropoff, but you have already agreed in writing that these are true.

2) Unlike the car rental scenario, your Honda dealer is not the same company as Honda corporate. The Honda executive chain can not waive the damage claim on behalf of the dealer.

3) The dealer has already turned this over to collections. Your credit rating is being damaged. If this goes to court, you will likely lose (and be assessed fees) because of (1) above.

Honda's email suggested that you have a conversation with the dealer's Service Manager and General Manager. Have you done this? They are the decision makers for this incident. All Honda corporate can do is ask the dealership to consider your position, but the dealer is far less likely to be sympathetic to you if you try to bypass them and complain to the corporate entity.

My recommendation is to speak with the dealership general manager. You can start with the position that you didn't cause the damage, but if they don't bite you should try to cut a deal. It might not be fair, but you have more to lose than to gain in this situation. If you can't reach an arrangement, you can always try the corporate escalation then, but I think this tactic is a longshot that could backfire on you.

Aug 9, 2017
Another possible wrinkle to the situation...I'd also check the actual rental paperwork. At least in the case of my Honda dealership, the rentals are by Enterprise , as indicated by the paperwork, but are within the actual dealership building. Enterprise simply operates the rental portion of the building as a service to the Honda dealership.

Mar 27, 2019
First of all, I want to thank everyone that has read this thread and replied to me. It was very helpful reading everyone's advice and opinions.

Last night, I emailed the service center directly about the situation. The service manager replied back to me with the incident report. I sent him another email fully explaining what happened, and I'm happy to report that the service center has dropped the claim.

Needless to say, this has been a huge relief. I am very grateful that they were able to see my side of the story. Again, thanks to everyone for the assistance.

Mar 15, 2018
Yes, my only email has gone to Customer Service e-mail. When writing the executive, should I let them know I already contacted customer service and give them my case number? Or should I leave that out?
Yes, definitely tell them, and give them the case number. They'll need that to continue.

Wait a week in between each email - never send them all at once. If no response, forward to the next person on the list.