Honda Civic - ENGINE BLOCK CRACK ISSUE

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 6, 2018
I have a 2008 (mf date is Nov. 2007) Honda Civic with 156,000 miles. Engine block is cracked. I am just 3 months outside of the 10 year warranty on the engine block.

Dealership quoted me $6,500 for the repair. After some arguing they knocked it down to $4,300. Still not acceptable.

I opened a claim with Honda America and after sending them documentation of my oil change history they have decided they will cover all but $1,300.

While I am not happy to pay ANYTHING because of a known defect, $1,300 is A LOT better than $6,500.

(Sorry if this is a duplicate entry.)

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
That's incredible service from Honda. That's really low mileage for a ten-year-old car; you must not drive very often!

Jan 5, 2015
Spring, Texas

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Hondas website notes that in 2015 Honda was offering a new engine block or new engine to owners of the 2006 to 2009 Civic that experienced problems. They also extended the warranty to 10 years from the original date of purchase.

https://honda.oemdtc.com/340/warranty-extension-engine-block-2006-2009-honda-civic

If your Honda had leaked only a few months earlier then you would've had a no cost replacement. So I understand your frustration.

You can try to appeal to Honda using our Company Contacts. Given that they have flexed a lot already, you may not be successful but if you don't ask you don't get.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Jan 9, 2016
It sounds as if Honda gave the OP a very good deal. Unless a warranty if lifetime, it must, eventually, expire. Where should the manufacturer draw the line; 90, 120, 180 days? I’ve been through similar with a failure just out of warranty so I think covering most of the costs 90 day past warranty expiration shows excellent customer Service and should garner goodwill.