HomeAway

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 25, 2019
I’ve rented an apartment through HomeAway in Miami Beach. When I came to the apartment it was nothing like the photos and without the requirements promised by the manager. The apartment is poorly maintained, smelly, noisy and unsafe. Two times someone tried to come into my apartment during the night. I’ve complained to the manager and to HomeAway. I strongly believe that this place should fall under the “book with guarantee” agreement of HomeAway since the apartment is neither in the condition promotes on their site, nor safe. The manager confirmed me that this was an quiet apartment suitable for a small family. The sleeping sofa in the living room was in such a bad condition it was obvious they changed it immediately after I mention it. The leather was totally ripped off. My daughter was supposed to sleep there, but I don’t want to let her stay in the living since the door is connected to that room, and twice somebody has tried to come in. HomeAway is saying i should keep addressing the manager, since they have responded to every issue. (Changing sofa, changing look). But I said it from the moment I came into the apartment that it was not in the condition as offered, and I would like to find another place. They refuse to refund, I consider this as a fraud, since I will loose money if I leave this apartment now, when they have sold me something in the first place that is not in accordance with what they promised me!
Sincerely
Raghnild Espenes

Jul 13, 2016
Photos are a mist. Take them and send them to HomeAway right now.
When you say that twice someone has tried to enter the apartment, are they banging on the door, trying to use a key, or jiggling the door handle to see if it is unlocked? If this is in a run down part of Miami Beach, with homeless people living on the street nearby, it is possible that some transients have realized this apartment is a short-term rental, and may often be empty. It may be that they are using the apartment as an overnight shelter when it is not occupied.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, the time to do research on the neighborhood you are looking at is before you book. Ask the owner the address do you can google it and the crime stats before you rent. What might seem dangerous to you might not be dangerous to someone else living in Miami.

I also don’t understand the set up of this place. How is the living room set up “next to that room”. What room are you talking about?

Can you show us the listing so we can see exactly what it says? We may be able to help formulate a response if we knew what the description of the apartment was.

Feb 3, 2017
Is the apartment accessible right from the street or is it inside a building ?

Frankly, I would have called the police about someone trying to enter in the middle of the night - especially twice.

As I understand it, the host did change the lock on that door? After the first time someone tried to enter it or after the second time?

Is there at least a chain lock on the door that you can use on the inside of the door?

Jun 25, 2019
Yes, the front/entrance door is connected to the living room space.

I’m a She not He:)

There’s a code lock, so the one that tried to enter the first night obviously did know the code. Manager changed code the day after. But again someone tried to enter two nights after.

Yes, I’ve sent photos to HomeAway.

The point is that I’ve rented this place for a month. The place is not at all in the condition as promoted. Neither do I feel safe. I want to move, but manager refuses to give me refund, and HomeAway says I should deal with manager. So I’m stuck in an apartment where I don’t feel comfortable, paying for something that doesn’t have the amenities that the manager assured me it had during the booking process. Which in turn was the reason why I booked in the first place....

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Your only option is to invoke the Home Away guarantee. You need to move beyond the Customer Service people that keep sending you back to the Manager - it is not working.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/homeaway-com/

Send a letter to the first executive listed, telling them that you have been back and forth trying to invoke the guarantee and are getting the run around to contact the manager - that you have and the problems aren't being resolved and the apartment isn't as described. DOn't send attachments yet - tell them you can send them pictures and do it after you have made contact.

Jul 9, 2019
We used aHomeAway rental in London and just returned a week ago. I wrote letters and sent pictures and they are not interested in your problem but they do like the money! They said I must deal with the owner. What a joke. There were many differences in what she said and what we know happened
I see that HomeAway ‘s parents are involved with Expedia. Will try to avoid them too.
Was told I couldn’t submit a review as we checked out a day early. The didn’t send a refund either . Never again.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
We used aHomeAway rental in London and just returned a week ago. I wrote letters and sent pictures and they are not interested in your problem but they do like the money! They said I must deal with the owner. What a joke. There were many differences in what she said and what we know happened
I see that HomeAway ‘s parents are involved with Expedia. Will try to avoid them too.
Was told I couldn’t submit a review as we checked out a day early. The didn’t send a refund either . Never again.
What would you like from the forum?

You can reach out to HomeAway to pursue your issues: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/homeaway-com/

HomeAway, Inc. (HomeAway), owned by Expedia, operates online marketplaces for the vacation rental industry. The company has sites representing over 1 million paid listings of vacation rental homes in approximately 190 countries. The company’s portfolio includes the vacation rental websites HomeAway.com, VRBO.com, SkyRun.com and VacationRentals.com in the United States

Your only option is to invoke the Home Away guarantee. You need to move beyond the Customer Service people that keep sending you back to the Manager - it is not working.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/homeaway-com/

Send a letter to the first executive listed, telling them that you have been back and forth trying to invoke the guarantee and are getting the run around to contact the manager - that you have and the problems aren't being resolved and the apartment isn't as described. DOn't send attachments yet - tell them you can send them pictures and do it after you have made contact.
Thank you for this info. We rented this apt June15-24. On June 19 we contacted the London office(Fabio) listing details of our discontent and was told to submit our concerns together with photos which we did on June 23.
When we returned home we wrote a letter to Mike Mortegon and received a reply from Chad saying they were forwarding this info to their escalation team. On July 4 I got a phone call from Ashley and she was recording my concerns. Then I waited for a response. It didn’t come. Yesterday I called Ashley and she told me to contact the owner as they could do nothing.
Could someone please tell me who to go to next.

I did not invoke the HomeAway guarantee as I had never heard of it before. It seems I contacted the top individual at Homaway and because I contacted him I now have no place to go? I would like to invoke this guarantee but who should I contact?

Apr 9, 2019
The Home Away Guarantee requires the renter to contact Customer Support within 12 hours of first arrival if the property is significantly misrepresented and owner has been contacted and does not amend, or within 24 hours of discovering a problem after arriving, and brought to the owner's attention without resolution. It doesn't sound as though you did either of these things, and you went right to the top of company contacts once you returned home. Since you stayed all but one night, the most you could hope for is refund of the one night. I don't know what remediation you are seeking, but if it's more than one night you likely won't succeed. If you haven't tried for the one night refund, you might start over at the bottom of the chain with that request, but if the owner was not given the opportunity to fix whatever was wrong, it's unlikely you will succeed.o_O

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I did not invoke the HomeAway guarantee as I had never heard of it before. It seems I contacted the top individual at Homaway and because I contacted him I now have no place to go? I would like to invoke this guarantee but who should I contact?
I'm sorry for your bad experience and hope our other readers learn how to take care of themselves. A vacation rental is not a hotel. You have to do all your own research, read all the fine print, and totally understand what to do about a problem, and how to do it. It seems that you have gotten into an impossible position, so this may have just been a learning process for you.