Home Depot does and does not accept veterans cards

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 19, 2019
I have written two kindly letters to upscale supervisors in the Home Depot team to no avail. They just refuse to answer. My veterans card is accepted for a 10% savings at some Home Depots and others basically tell you to take a hike. Most of my shopping is now done at Lowe's because of this but I would like an answer why service to my country is accepted at some and not at others? Thanks
Danny

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Interesting that this is the policy:

While we can’t verify his depiction of what happened, there seems to be some confusion about our veterans’ discount policy. The discount is available to all veterans on major patriotic holidays including Veterans Day, Memorial Day and Independence Day. We’re also one of only a few retailers that provides an everyday discount to active-duty, National Guard, Coast Guard and reservists, as well as retired and service-connected disabled service members, and their spouses.

To our OP- this seems to be why you have some stores offering and some not. If you aren’t active duty, it appears there are only military discounts on major holidays.

You can still write to HD and have them confirm this.

Feb 21, 2018
Located this verbiage on themilitarywallet.com:

"
Home Depot’s 10% Military Discount Policy
An online customer service rep recently gave me this information about Home Depot military discounts:
  • Year-round: Home Depot’s military discount is offered throughout the year.
  • 10% Military Discount: Home Depot’s 10% discount is applicable to purchases with a $500 maximum discount. There are some exclusions, including installation products or services, Gift Cards, special buy appliances, and some commodities, such as building materials. The discount is not available for online purchases.
  • Eligibility – U.S. stores: The discount is offered in the U.S. to all active duty military personnel, reservists, retired or disabled veterans and their immediate families. Veterans who do not have a VA service-connected disability rating may only be eligible for the military discount during national holidays such as Memorial Day, July 4th, and Veterans Day.
  • Military ID: To use Home Depot’s discount, you should present acceptable proof of military service."
(Underline added by me)

This would seem to indicate that a veteran needs a specific rating to be eligible for the year round discount.

Mar 12, 2019
I have written two kindly letters to upscale supervisors in the Home Depot team to no avail. They just refuse to answer. My veterans card is accepted for a 10% savings at some Home Depots and others basically tell you to take a hike. Most of my shopping is now done at Lowe's because of this but I would like an answer why service to my country is accepted at some and not at others? Thanks
Danny
Maybe the program is at the discretion of the region’s office or the store itself.

The 10% discount has been an everyday discount (where we live) for many years at both companies then Lowe’s decided the customer must be registered so I did and continue to get the discount. My husband, the retiree, has not registered and did not get it the last time. I thought HE was registered when I registered but he isn’t. Then for 4th of July, a “Thank You for Your Service” discount card came addressed to me. Nothing has changed at Home Depot. We present our card at the register and receive the discount.

Mar 12, 2019

"
An online customer service rep recently gave me this information about Home Depot military discounts:
  • 10% Military Discount: Home Depot’s 10% discount is applicable to purchases with a $500 maximum discount. There are some exclusions, including installation products or services, Gift Cards, special buy appliances, and some commodities, such as building materials. The discount is not available for online purchases.
  • Eligibility – U.S. stores: The discount is offered in the U.S. to all active duty military personnel, reservists, retired or disabled veterans and their immediate families. Veterans who do not have a VA service-connected disability rating may only be eligible for the military discount during national holidays such as Memorial Day, July 4th, and Veterans Day.
  • Military ID: To use Home Depot’s discount, you should present acceptable proof of military service."
(Underline added by me)

This would seem to indicate that a veteran needs a specific rating to be eligible for the year round discount.
My husband doesn't have a VA service-connected disability rating but we both get the discount whenever we shop except the last time he was at Lowe's, he didn't get it because Lowe's dictates now that the customer must be registered to get it. I continue to get it because I registered, which I find surprising because as the dependent, I thought my card contains all the information needed to include him in the registration.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I hope our OP can get this clarified using our contacts because their own information is contradictory. No wonder the stores aren't consistent.
I am also a Veteran and never thought to ask for this. But if he gets it clarified he can take it with him to the store and we'll know for sure if we have this come up again.

Jul 19, 2019
Sadly the snopes account is exactly what happened to me. I had about 450 dollars of stuff and the woman said she could not accept my ID card and I asked for the manager and out comes this young bumpkin and said sorry so I said sorry and went across the street to Lowe's and bought the same stuff and got my discount. I own a small business and it is going to be my practice to tell everyone I come across what I encountered with Home Depot and point them towards Lowe's. I like Home Depots materials and this has not been a happy time for me but if Lowe's recognizes my service then so be it.
Danny

Apr 30, 2016
In reference to post #9, were you paying with a business credit card or your personal credit card? If you were using a business credit card you should not receive the discount.

Dec 17, 2018

"
(Underline added by me)

The ID's all look the same - I seriously doubt they are looking to see if someone has a disability. And how exactly are they determining this? Someone can do their 20, get a 10% rating for something small, like minor hearing loss... does that qualify as a "service connected disability"? Or are they only giving this to 100% disabled veterans? This is a stupid policy, if that's what they want to hang their hat on.

And as a side note, this giving discounts to active duty and not retired really bothers me. I get why you wouldn't give them to someone who only did 4 or 8 years and wasn't medically discharged. But pay is cut significantly for retirees, so they NEED the discounts in a lot of cases. Further, they went through hell in a lot of cases for 20 years... what they did for this country doesn't diminish because they are retired. I think retirees and active duty should be treated the same way. And also... if someone is medically discharged at 4 years... they deserve a discount but someone who did their full 20 but doesn't have a rating doesn't? Bad, bad policy. Bad.

Mar 18, 2019
I would personally see if you can register yourself in their online system for verifying discounts. Showing your ID card at the register can sometimes be hit or miss, but using your phone number as a pro ID should work much more consistently...

Jul 27, 2019
This is certainly strange. My veteran hubby gets his ten percent at Home Depot all the time. He has the blue military retired veteran card. I believe the VA issues cards for those on disability and receiving treatment at the VA. They are totally different than the regular retired veteran ID cards. Since it’s a corporate policy, perhaps the local mangers need more training on the policy. Just my two cents.

Sep 14, 2019
I always get my 10m percent off when i show my VA card..the discount is given to disabled veterans ..on the VA card if says " service connected " right next to your branch insignia...its supposed to be for personal use only, not for a business .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I always get my 10m percent off when i show my VA card..the discount is given to disabled veterans ..on the VA card if says " service connected " right next to your branch insignia...its supposed to be for personal use only, not for a business .
The issue is not every store applies this program consistently. I think many of us who served in the military don’t know that we can actually ask about this .

Aug 9, 2017
I’m a legitimate vet (US Navy) and here in Pennsylvania the driver’s license can indicate veterans status. Unfortunately this is done on an “honor” basis at time of renewal so some HD’s won’t accept the drivers license as proof so some other form of identity must be shown. It is my understanding that this is also the reason went to a system with a one-time registration. At Lowe’s all I need is my phone number.