Home Depot Beyond Inept Supporting Online Sales

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 1, 2019
I purchased an electric rinding mower online from Home Depot because it was not carried in any stores. Purchased 7/7/19, delivered 7/17/19 with very little documentation, nothing, as I remember, concerning the purchase or return period. Neither did my order have any reference to a return period. After the first trial use, the power transformer malfunctioned. Contacted Home Depot and "Online Customer Service" told me I bought it, it was mine, I had to contact the manufacturer for any problems. Funny, the $2165 went to Home Depot and they could provide no contact for the manufacturer. I called a store and got no help whatsoever. I finally found a contact online for the manufacturer and they contacted me via email. It was 7/29 when the manufacturer agreed to send me a new power transformer. It arrived the first part of August. I used the mower 3 times and found it would not meet my needs and tried to return it. Onine the order was declared beyond the return period of 30 days. I knew the computer had no way of knowing the delays involved so I went to the online chat function. The "chat rep" took the time to go to the "leadership team" (just a computer portal) and offered me a $500 refund on my purchase and told me how lucky I was to get 25% back. Perhaps I should have taken it and simply licked my wounds but it is astounding that a store would not stand behind a purchase after the 10 seconds it takes to collect your money.

Mar 14, 2018
Why are they saying the return period is only 30 days? From what I can see in their return policy, the 30 day period applies only to gas powered equipment--not electric.

Their policy is a bit contradictory, as you can only return "new, unopened merchandise" but the headline is "BE 100% HAPPY WITH YOUR PURCHASE OR WE’LL TAKE IT BACK. NO PROBLEM." But they appear to be saying you couldn't return it because it was too late, not because you used it.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I purchased an electric rinding mower online from Home Depot because it was not carried in any stores. Purchased 7/7/19, delivered 7/17/19 with very little documentation, nothing, as I remember, concerning the purchase or return period. Neither did my order have any reference to a return period. After the first trial use, the power transformer malfunctioned. Contacted Home Depot and "Online Customer Service" told me I bought it, it was mine, I had to contact the manufacturer for any problems. Funny, the $2165 went to Home Depot and they could provide no contact for the manufacturer. I called a store and got no help whatsoever. I finally found a contact online for the manufacturer and they contacted me via email. It was 7/29 when the manufacturer agreed to send me a new power transformer. It arrived the first part of August. I used the mower 3 times and found it would not meet my needs and tried to return it. Onine the order was declared beyond the return period of 30 days. I knew the computer had no way of knowing the delays involved so I went to the online chat function. The "chat rep" took the time to go to the "leadership team" (just a computer portal) and offered me a $500 refund on my purchase and told me how lucky I was to get 25% back. Perhaps I should have taken it and simply licked my wounds but it is astounding that a store would not stand behind a purchase after the 10 seconds it takes to collect your money.
You should use the HD contacts: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/home-depot/
Email the first cust serv person, move down the list weekly if no/negative response.

Sep 19, 2015
Why are they saying the return period is only 30 days? From what I can see in their return policy, the 30 day period applies only to gas powered equipment--not electric.

Their policy is a bit contradictory, as you can only return "new, unopened merchandise" but the headline is "BE 100% HAPPY WITH YOUR PURCHASE OR WE’LL TAKE IT BACK. NO PROBLEM." But they appear to be saying you couldn't return it because it was too late, not because you used it.
I think the 100 percent only refers to new and unused products -- this product has been used and it is not defective -- just not appropriate:

"Most new, unopened merchandise sold by The Home Depot can be returned within 90 days of purchase, unless noted in our Return Policy Exceptions. If your purchase was made with The Home Depot Consumer Credit Card,"

Mar 14, 2018
I think the 100 percent only refers to new and unused products -- this product has been used and it is not defective -- just not appropriate:

"Most new, unopened merchandise sold by The Home Depot can be returned within 90 days of purchase, unless noted in our Return Policy Exceptions. If your purchase was made with The Home Depot Consumer Credit Card,"
Yup. I mentioned that. But the OP says HD is claiming "the order was declared beyond the return period of 30 days."--not that is isn't new. If that's the case, I'd want to know where the 30 days came from.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is an interesting case. The machine is now used, used 4 times as a matter of fact. But the malfunction is definitely not our OP's fault. The issue, as I see it, is lack of supporting docs when it was delivered. On an expensive piece of equipment, the return policy is vital. I don't think you can just shrug your shoulders, I think you have to insist on all the written information you need before the item is first used. No matter how inconvenient, I purchase items like this from a local retailer, having support is far more important to me than paying a rock-bottom price.

Sep 1, 2019
Great News. I did use the contacts and it only took one email. The customer care group contacted a local store. The store manager who called me had already worked on it for 1.5 hrs--getting nowhere with the online sales group. He figured out a way to get the refund through the store. I will definitely do business with that store. They just left my home with the unit. They went above and beyond but I'm not sure they would have been so eager had the email not gone to corporate. I'll have to buy my next mower from them and see how good the support is.